Skip to content
Maintankadin

Can paladin tank all bosses?

Brickwall
Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:11 am

Can paladin tank all bosses?

Sorry this is a noob question...

I am a prot paladin and currently tanking karazhan up to prince.

My friend told me that while Warriors can tank all bosses in high end contents, paladin can only MT some. Is this true?

I mean, I know paladin tanks can be pretty good on trash and stuff, how about high end bosses?

Warriors have their advantages in last stand, shield reflect ...etc.

If the group is willing to work together, is pally tank viable for all bosses? (again, sometimes war might be the preferred tank, but i am just wondering, can we tank it all if we want to?)
Ownopotamus
Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:13 am
The only boss so far I have gotten to that I won't tank is Tidewalker. Everything else in SSC/TK (no idea about Hyjal/BT) I would say yes a Pally can tank them.
_________________
Agravaine
Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:15 am
Someone in a more progressed guild can give you a more complete answer, but I believe that a Paladin can tank every boss a warrior can tank.

Personally, I have tanked everything in Karazhan except for Aran (heh) everything tankable in Gruul's Lair and up to Channler 5 in Mag's lair. Haven't tried Mags himself yet, but I don't see why that wouldnt be feasible either.

There is in fact a nice video of a Paladin tanking pretty much everything up through SSC/TK.
Shai
Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:30 am
I would imagine tanking Kael'thas would be rather tricky for a paladin due to the pyroblast and having lower hp. Also Reliquary of Souls pretty much requires spell reflect in phase 2, and in phase 3 the ability to burn all your rage (or mana) which would make it next to impossible for anybody who isn't a warrior (haven't tested how much damage the burn does for a paladin tho so maybe?).

Also Mother Shahraz atm I is a fight were I would rather not have a warrior and absolutely not a paladin tank it (ferals are hawt). Perhaps after the parry change the fight will be a bit more forgiving. Archimonde is kinda nogo for horde paladins due to fear also. Kaz'rogal's mana burn thingie is pesky and I'm not sure if melee would be able to outrange it if you had a paladin tanking and building aggro with the mana drain might be hard anyway.
_________________
Shai - lvl 70 Blood Elf Paladin
Nordrassil-EU
Cragus
Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:37 am
Dont necessarly think of of it as "can we tank all bosses" think of what bosses we are the best tank at, what a warriror si and what a druid is, if yuo have all those areas covered it works well Smile
_________________
Alixander
Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:41 am
Technically speaking, yes a Paladin can tank any boss in the game.

The real question becomes at what point are you better off with a Warrior or Bear tank despite worse gear. There are a number of fights which you are at a severe disadvantage with, such as Maiden of Virtue (repeated AOE Silence), Nightbane (Fear), and Hydross (Elemental attacks which can't be blocked which negates Holy Shield), but none that are impossible if you have a group willing to work with you.

As for what your friend said, while it's correct about Warriors being able to tank any boss, the inverse of the situation applies for for them as well. There are some fights that you are really just better off having a Paladin MT, and quite a few fights that while you could bring a Warrior or Bear Off-Tank, a Paladin OT is your best option.
_________________


My Blog: http://kazielmmo.blogspot.com/
Mortehl
Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:00 am
At least up to 4/5 SSC and 2/4 TK, there's nothing I've run into that I can't tank. I'm currently OT'ing Vashj but we haven't brought her down yet.

PS: I could tank (and I'd own) Morogrim, but my job there is the adds and I''m ok with it.
_________________
Gideon
Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:34 am
Morogrim's individual hits are not very big, he just chains lots of them together. Which makes Ardent Defender a real asset.

In my guild we have some excellent warrior tanks but they struggle with this guy. We usually use a really well geared feral but when he's not around I switch from Murloc OT to Morogrim MT (flasked and chaining ironshields like a biatch).
_________________
Julian
Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:10 am
I'd say that overall we're still a bit behind both druids and warriors, but there are plenty of jobs where we're the number one choice.

For instance, I'd never want to have a warrior tank Morogrim where there's an equivalently geared feral available, and I'd never want to have a paladin MT Gruul when there's an equivalently geared warrior available, but I'd never want to have a warrior tank adds on Hydross when there's an equivalently geared paladin available and so on.

It no longer makes sense to think of your tanks as a hierarchy. You have to have a tanking corps, which slots into roles depending on the encounter, and all of you have to be versatile.

The MT role is overrated anyway-- the other tanking roles in a fight are typically more interesting and more challenging.
_________________
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/#character-sheet.xml?r=Maiev&n=Julian