Skip to content
Maintankadin

Offtanked Karazhan for the first time, one problem...

John Ra
Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:04 am

Offtanked Karazhan for the first time, one problem...

Kind of a big yet resolvable problem...

I started that group as a DPSing Warlock but attuned my Paladin just last week. The problem with changing roles in a familiar group is this: We had a Warrior maintank and a Druid offtank. They were used to the Druid switching to kitty and DPSing during bosses with no adds. A tankadin really can't DPS during those fights, and I don't have any healing gear.

Not once was I ordered to go get my Warlock to DPS, but it was pretty much the general concensus that we need the DPS to get this fight over with. I did it for Prince because his infernal placement was out of control, and he dropped the Tier 4 helment. I did it for Nightbane to help speed up the kill... and he dropped the plate chest. Sad

What can I do? I can't maintank until I get some epics, but I'm the weakest link during boss fights. I told them that they cannot throw the offtank under the bus like that (would they do that to two prot warriors? no), and they understood. I'll probably be an OT for the entire run next week, but our team is changing and I feel that an offtank that's anything but a Druid will get left behind.

The only thing I can think of to show some kind of viability in simple boss fights is to run BGs to collect Ornamented gear to backup heal until I can get to maintanking level.

Halp...
_________________
Cimzar
Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:09 am
Of the three tanking classes, a protection pally is the worst for an offtank.

Both a warrior and (especially) a bear can build rage and do significant dps while offtanking. Not so for a pally.

This does not mean that you are useless, though, it just means you should be replacing the MT, not the OT. The group seems to have some intelligence, so all you have to do is reason with them about how your strengths would benefit the group much more as MT, especially with Prince, who is actually easier for a pally from everything I have read.

It sounds like what is holding you back is the current MT not wanting to lose his spot, imo. We have that affect on them.
_________________
Bramiest's Knight in Shining Armor

The enemy outnumber us a paltry three to one, good odds for any Paladin!
Cragus
Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:09 am
My advise would be to have the MT be the druid or warrior, whilst u be OT and learn tanking, the place, boss fights and collect gear, on easier bosses it will be nice to have a go at MT every so often aswell. Don't have 3 tanks in the raid though, u only need 1 + off spec dps but 2 will work fine.
_________________
cdan
Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:09 am
Gear up your healing set asap. As a tank that can become an off healer you have a lot more to offer than just the OT work and healing. Your buffs, aoe tanking through trash and healing support on one tank bosses will make you invaluable rather than replaceable.
Eggfoo
Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:09 am
Throw up JoW on the boss and the Hunters and Enhancment Shamans will love you! Your group shouldn't NEED your Warlock's dps to down the bosses, if they do your dps really needs to step it up a bit. Ideally you should probably have some backup healing gear that you can throw on to help out. I'm surprised you haven't gotten Heally plate whilst running normal 5 man instances or killing the other bosses you don't have to switch out for.

~Eggfoo
Kaelie
Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:11 am
If you can maintank, I'd try asking for it. I hate to min/max raids, but most of Kara really doesn't want more than 1.5 tanks or so, and ferals filling in that offtank is just about exactly what I'd like to see in our group every week instead of shuffling the raid for each boss.

If not, see how grabbing the heal gear works, so you have something to add when you don't need to tank, but make sure they'll let you roll on the tank gear if you're healing.
_________________
Vanifae
Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:10 am
Haha I say screw it, put on the Hammer of Naaru and wreck face.

This is one of those questions that is best served looking at the needs of your group more so then anything else and then adapting to it. I would suggest bringing more DPS gear, it may not be much but it will help and keeping JoW up can help casters quite abit.

It is what I do and it does help.
_________________
Visit my crappy blog... Nerf This...
Lore
Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:47 am
Bubblegirl, I love your avatar.
_________________
Me, LOL!
Shadowhamer
Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:51 am
You do not have to be Holy to heal. remember that. In the end, we have healing powers...use them. When I do not MT kara, I flip on my healing gear, and I will heal. Or I will toss on my healing hammer, and help heal, then spank something. Its funny when I say, OK I am going to go OH now. Some people huh ?? And the others say, He's going to "Off Heal" apparently its what prot paladins do !

Remebr not to neglet healing gear. When I raid, I basically bring two sets. Healing and tanking. If I am MT, then so be it. If I am MT/OT for fights so be it. If I am OT/OH then so be it. just remember to be flexible, and you will do OK.
_________________
Evil does not fight fair, so nor do I
Cames
Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:59 am
One comment as healing as Prot is that unless you are spec'ed properly Curator and Illhoof are problems.

As for me, I generally MT up to Curator. I OT Illhoof, DPS/Elemental Control on Aran, Skellie Tank on Nightbane, Red Beam Tank on Netherspite, and an off healer (normally) for Prince (could tank it, but it is easier for me to drop on my heal gear).

Just a comment on Nightbane, when we had problems downing him it was mostly due to either aggro issues on landing or a lack of healing during the air phase. Couple of comments:

1 - No HoTs during landing - PoM only (Misdirect by a hunter is very helpful).
2 - Remember all the debuffs/DoTs during air phase are dispellable.
3 - We work from 1 side with people against the walls (thus limiting the amount of problems with the burning floor).

Nightbane is NOT a DPS race. It is a control fight. When I was Holy, I could often heal the ground phase as the rest of the healers could use Dreaming Sleep Pots.
_________________
What is not dead can eternal lie;
In strange aeons, even death may die.
Sabindeus
Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:46 am
When I do OT (which is more often lately as we recruit prot warriors), I always fall back to my healing gear when a second tank is not needed.
_________________