Skip to content
Maintankadin

Spreading the word...Midnight Downed

Ubung
Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:10 am

Spreading the word...Midnight Downed

Hey again guys. Just wanted to let you all know that I off tanked for my guild in Karazhan last night. This was my first experience of raiding as a tank as pre tbc I was a healer (as we all were mostly). Also my first experience in post tbc raiding.

Big thank you to all the forum guys for answering my various questions and conundrums. Also a massive thank you to the creator of the Tankadin gearing guide, Dreamcrusher. That helped a hell of a lot for getting me the gear I need.

We went straight to Attumen & Midnight and got to them wihout a wipe. My guildies remarked on the fact that they didnt have to worry about mobs running after the squishies cus of my aggro control which made me feel good (CT +40spelldmg ftw). We then got to the boss and I tanked the horsie down to 20% at which point I let the MT take over and I fell back to DPS (more pretending to do DPS but...). He never even looked at anyone else and the healer easily kept me up (another pally). We took him first time but unfortunately nothing dropped for me.

Then we went to get on of our hunters a bat pet but didnt go any further in that direction. Anyway we went through the hall with the dancers in with me tanking about 5 mobs at a time compared to our MT's 2 or 3 Very Happy He had to tank the stewards though as they were hitting for 4k.
We then had a go at Moroes but due to the time taken up by people leaving, DCing etc we had only time for one try. I was off tank again and I managed to keep up with the MT threat wise even taking it off him at points. Afetr a few switches between me and the main tank we wiped, got him down to 50% though and that was the guilds first try.

The main tank was a warrior who way outgeared me but i think I held my own. The only thing I did was pass on Boots Of Elusion from the trash mobs before Moroes. Was that a stupid thing to do? He was main tank and I thought he needed them more.

Anyway im now 93% uncrushable due to the violet signet I got for defeating Midnight and getting friendly with Violet Eye. Im also well on the way the gear I need for uncrushable.

Im now the main offf tank for my guild since this run and I will be doing Kara every week, progressing as my guild progresses. Im hoping the boots drop again sometime soon :S

Anyway just thought id let you guys know as youve been an inspiration to me. I know its not as big as some of the dudes you guys are tanking but its a good start. Tankadin ftw!

Regards guys
_________________

*The light is something you wield not something you switch on!*
Mortehl
Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:41 am
You need to start somewhere. We all started at Midnight/Attuman in TBC.
_________________
Guillex
Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:10 pm
Congratulations!

I'm not there yet... I'm quite close, so you're a step ahead of me. I hope to go in and "accidentally" drop a consecrate when Attumen spawns... Twisted Evil

Good job, keep up the good work! And imo, passing up the boots was a good thing, as it shows everyone you're not completely blindsided to the fact that there is another person who's tanking. I'm confident that they'll go to you the next time they drop.

Hang in there!
_________________

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."
-Verbal Kint
kvark
Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:10 pm
I *SO* can relate to that feeling, it's the same one you get for every step of progress. Love it Very Happy gz mate ! you'll never look back to holy
_________________
fuzzygeek
Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:36 pm
Wait until you get to Illhoof. Tankadins trivialize that fight, especially if you don't happen to have a warlock handy.
Nebuchadneza
Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:10 pm
Indeed this is where it starts Smile Keep working on that gear in your own time and make Kara your own Smile Passing on gear is never a bad thing, but keep pushing to tank as much as you can. Guild progression always starts with a geared MT with everyone else backing up. Remember too your warrior MT won't always be around every week and hopefully there will be a time when your guild sees that it really is easier to forget about CC (except on those chargers of course) and AoE the lot down Very Happy

It's always a great thing to show people that there is plenty of room on the tanking pedestal alongside Warriors and Feral Druids. In fact Karazhan is the place where you can outshine them if your guild is willing to give you a chance Smile I hope your guild MT is a decent person, because it's a shared responsibility to raid tank, and it's important to play of each other's strengths and weaknesses.
_________________
Ubung
Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:34 am
Thanks very much for your kind words guys. Its a big first for me so wanted to shout about it Very Happy

I think the next big thing is MTing something but until im uncrushable that will have to wait. Need some more rep from Sha'Tar and to get the Devilshark Cloak.

Fortunately my guild is very supportive and im recognised as a good tank. We rotate spots in Kara but thats only so everyone gets a go and because we are too small for 2 teams yet.

Yeah the main tank we have is awsome, a top lad and definately not one of those Warriors that thinks Pallies should heal. He wants me to get good enough to MT so he can take a holiday once in a while Very Happy

Karma is a good way to put it Coristad, im a big beleiver in it and Guilex m8 you only have similar items to me. Id get to telling your MT how you should be given a try as OT. Obviously we cant MT till uncrushable.

Thanks for celebrating my first acheivement and I hope its one of many as we all try to push Pally tanking forward. Cool
_________________

*The light is something you wield not something you switch on!*