Skip to content
Maintankadin

Threat and DPS post Patch 3.0 for Protection Spec

Zyvuun
Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:50 pm

Threat and DPS post Patch 3.0 for Protection Spec

Well, I've now had a chance to get a very solid look at the new Talents and Tanking changes brought about in this last patch, and I'm wondering what everyone else is seeing.

So far, I've finally managed to get myself at LONG last into a Hyjal raid where I wound up Main Tanking. That was pretty unexpected, I figured I'd be tanking the trash and then suddenly I'm tanking the bosses on my very first trip. Then I noticed that I was 6th in DPS for the overall Raid. WOW! I must be doing tons of AoE damage, I guess this is to be expected.

Then I decided to run Tempest Keep the Eye tonight, where I found myself ranked 6th in overall DPS once again. Whoa! No AoE action going on this time. I Grabbed Aggro on the Void Reaver off our Prot War without seriously trying to, and then held onto top threat spot through 6-7 knock backs. The front end threat that I'm generating is insane, and I can over take another tank easliy, even without getting hit. Something that simply could NEVER have happened before. While I am over the moon about all these changes, I'm also worried that what is now starting to appear to me as a massive differential in threat per second is going to result in some serious qq from the warriors. From what I've seen, their DPS has also been buffed, but not like Tankadins. We're practically a DPS spot in the raid now, and I'm wondering, is anyone else experiencing this?
_________________
Bobness
Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:35 pm
The threat may be from you Judging Light ?

From a DPS perspective Prot Warriors in my Guild are producing more DPS than me when they concentrate.

We have a simple rotation for DPS a Prot Warrior in similar gear to you should be able to out DPS you, at least in my experience.
_________________
Zyvuun
Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:57 am
Hrm, see, right now, Mages, Warlocks, Hunters and Rogues, all of whom are decently geared, never mind Prot Warriors, are having trouble out dpsing me. Is this not what you are seeing?
_________________
majorwoo
Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:16 am
No, I don't think anyone is seeing that. Unless you are aoe tanking you wont be topping dps charts.
_________________
Belarkan
Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:22 am
Unleash the power.

Well you'll now outdps sleepy dps players (or bad geared ones).

VR has always been pretty paladin loving. High armor + holy dmg = win so there's nothing really new there.

DPS classes may also need some time to adapt their new dps rotations.
Also, with the nerfs, there are some classes or spec that won't be effective dps because things are killed too fast.
Also with the limit being nearer lagging dps will be out dps by tanks.
From my BT run, I was 7th in dmg done on trashs (~1042) first was one lock (~1600) and I was before the two other locks (~1400/~1600).
The difference between the two 1600 dps lock is one got 18% dps time, the other 14% and myself 23%
Simple as that.