Skip to content
Maintankadin

What does WE do exactly

maxily
Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:19 am

What does WE do exactly

I have been searching what WE really does. So far I know that it reduces your chance to miss by a bit and that it reduces the chance that a mob parries your attack. But I have no real 'hard' numbers yet.

I am considering dropping reckoning to get WE. If it reduces parries from a boss, that means a reduction in damage taken. And with better gear, reckoning procs less often.

What I am looking for is a list of what Weapon rating does. I did find such a list, but that was from before TBC, and I read that since TBC weapon rating has changed a bit.
Odius
Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:25 am
I've been wondering about this myself for quite some time. Reckoning is good and all but it's a proc so it can't be relied on. For WE to be worthwhile it would have to make you hit 3-4 times(where you would have missed w/o it) in the time it takes you to proc one reckoning. IF it can do that then it'd make for smoother more consistent threat instead of just a little gravy on top proc that reckoning is.
_________________
Gideon
Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:41 am
Actually, Weapon Expertise is something I've been trying to learn more about. I've been thinking of switching my three points in Precision over to WE.

My criteria for switching would be if the magnitude of the parry reduction and hit increase from 6 weapon skill was equal to or greater than 3%. In that situation it would actually be better as I would have the same net threat gain but would eat fewer counterattacks.

If the post by EU CM Crezax is correct then I should go with weapon skill. If the weapon skill research article on wowwiki is correct then, as a human, it may be worth sticking with Precision. If Crezax was just plain wrong then I must avoid WE.

If anyone has hard data, please share.

Wowwiki link
_________________
Lore
Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:33 am
The parry chance number is in high debate. 0.6% per skill point is the number that the EU CM gave, but many players have tested it and found the actual benefit to be much, much lower.

I got some gloves with weapon skill on them the other day, I'll make sure to do some testing when I can. My server's down for 2 days though -_-
_________________
Me, LOL!
neokai
Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:34 am
Just another quick post on this topic.

Much of the confusion and misunderstanding about weapon skill originates from the 2.0.1 patch notes, which states:-

"The player will gain 0.1% to their critical strike rating per weapon skill against monsters above their level."

What it neglects to mention is that weapon skill retains its original functions of increasing hit% vs a mob/player with higher defense skill by decreasing miss/dodge/parry.
_________________
----------------------------------
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.
Lore
Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:38 am
The tests I saw (on elitist jerks forums) showed no reduction from Parry whatsoever. It would be pretty hard to already be capped at 0 weapon skill.
_________________
Me, LOL!
neokai
Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:41 am
Let me know what u find out then. =)
_________________
----------------------------------
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.
Odius
Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:42 am
Very nice post.

So from being a human the 5 skill points I get from racial traits automatically give me about 4.5% to hit more than a dwarf Paladin? Just Wondering because that seems like an awfully larger amount.

I'm at work and pretty much any site I could read on weapon skill and the like is blocked or else I'd be doing some more research before I posted.
_________________
Odius
Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:46 am
Guess I shouldn't take so long to post! lol

Anyhow my server is down for the 48 hour maintenance as well so it's time to theorycraft and do some much needed reading I guess.
_________________
Odius
Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:56 am
Does anyone know a good addon that records your hits, misses, parries, and all that? I need to find one that just records the entire combat log and puts up some stats.
_________________