Skip to content
Maintankadin

How much BV are you running with? (And how good is BV?)

wng_z3r0
Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:17 am

How much BV are you running with? (And how good is BV?)

So, When my Tome of Lightbringer is active, I'm pushing 900BV, which is about 400 more BV than i had pre-patch. (I have gotten new gear but *shrug*. Now, when I'm trying to compare items, I'm not sure how good BV is compared to other stats. What I've been doing is taking the BV*3 and comparing that to the stam->hp from an item, because I figure most bosses will 3 shot me. Is that a good mechanic for measuring it's effectiveness? For an EH tank, when is BV more important than stam?

wng
_________________
There are 10 kinds of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those who don't.
Ashmadai
Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:26 am
You're never going to seek out BV as a stat for mitigation imo. Rather, you are just going to have a lot of it because of wearing tank gear with STR on it, and some of the tank gear will have SBV on it.

At level 75 SBV gets a lot nicer because it directly affects our threat at that point.
_________________
Jasari
Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:26 am
This has been discussed a few times, but the main thing is that the usefulness of BV varies sooo much depending on the situation. It's OMGAMAZING on hyjal trash - or any AOE trash for that matter, and the faster/weaker a boss hits the better it becomes. Additionally, it will only help threat when wotlk hits and you ding 75, but since threat is a non-issue that doesn't really matter.

Basically, you're not going to be able to create a universal formula for the "goodness" of BV without taking it on an encounter by encounter basis.
Tyaera
Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:38 pm
block value has basically stopped my GM (healer lead too) from complaining about how much damage I take because I went from 214 pre-patch to over 850 post-patch.

an average of 650 less damage per hit is nothing to sneeze at
_________________
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Makaijin
Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:48 pm
Althought the pure BV rating is nice, but my preference to getting BV is via strength. Stamina is a main EH stat with a minor threat component, whereas strength is a threat stat with a minor EH stat. If you look at this way, balancing both is rather important.

And like many above have said, BV is ace however much you have.
_________________
Majiben
Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:02 pm
Without kings, for every 100 str from gear you will gain 75 BV

With kings, for every 100 str from gear you will gain 81 BV

With all our scalars str is a very powerful stat and even runs the possibility of being more valuable than intended.
_________________
Majiben