Skip to content
Maintankadin

Disc Priest healer: bad choice for Tankadins?

Chivalry
Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:03 am

Disc Priest healer: bad choice for Tankadins?

Greetings, fellow Tankadins: new user incoming! Very Happy

I've got a question for those who know the game mechanics well...

The new Priest Discipline tree is fun indeed, and many priests spec Disc for PvE healing these days. However, the disc healing is, to a significant measure, centered on preventing damage with protective shields (http://www.wowhead.com/?spell=47517 Divine Aegis, and the good old PW:S which has been vastly inproved).

Question is: how does it synergize with our abilities?

1) Will the new BoSanc regenerate mana while I (the tank) am under a bubble?
2) While the shields technically give me additional health, will it be considered "healing" in terms of mana gain via Spiritual Attunement?
3) Will our reactive threat generating tools (Holy Shield, Ret Aura, Shield Spikes ffs) work while under a protective shield?

I'm a Protection paladin, playing together with my wife. She's a priest, and has been Holy all along; however after these new changes we're seriously considering some alternatives.

Thanks in advance for your answers Rolling Eyes
Pizbit
Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:12 am
From the few instance runs so far I doubt mana will be a real problem even with a disc priest spam shielding every CD.
_________________
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit
Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:22 am
Admittedly I had a spriest, but talking with someone in IRC their experience was the same without.
Ended every fight with 100% mana despite spamming consecrate etc.
You really do get that much mana back from bosanct/judgement.
_________________
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Shamora
Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:45 am
1. You'll still be dodging and parrying even under the bubble so you'll get the mana returns from BoSanc.
2. No. You only get mana from SA when you health is less then max and you receive a heal. The shields prevent your health from going down so you get healed for much less.
3. Not entirely sure on this, but I think they will still work. Not hard to test, have her bubble you while you stand there with mobs pounding on you and see if those effects activate.

My suggestion would be to just try it out and see what your mana situation is like without as much mana from SA. Even if the reactive damage doesn't work, it is only a small portion of our threat. Also the damage reduction from Grace does not stack with BoSanc.
_________________

DeadMilliken
Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:55 am
Disc priests can heal fine.

Yes I had to drink maybe every 7 pulls. Once I get Divine Plea that won't even matter.
Chunes
Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:00 am
We had a disco priest healing us in BT last night, honestly i didn't even feel the difference and i had that wierd bubble around me for quite a bit of the night.

The only reason i was running out of breath and having to drink was because our warrior tank was literally chain pulling and i had to spend a decent chunk of mana just to get some mobs to attack me, to thus return mana. I'd usually break even at the end of a pull, sitting at 50% MP.
Frickit
Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:05 am
not a viable priest spec imo
_________________
Snake-Aes
Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:11 am
full discipline is the new IDS.
_________________
Spankadin in development
Sit vis nobiscum!
Frickit
Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:18 am
I honestly just wanted to see what responses I would get, my girlfriend is priest and a priest only since the game came out. She knows waay more than me about this game and she swears that Disc priests are NOT viable and that blizzard refuses to admit it lol . So Im just curious, Ive never even seen a disc priest before.

btw should I not make comments ever that aren't both informative and helpful?
_________________
Snake-Aes
Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:23 am
That's just like the average warrior in my server, that scream on top of their lungs on trade chat, that paladins are NOT viable tanks and blizzard just doesn't know that yet.
_________________
Spankadin in development
Sit vis nobiscum!
Sabindeus
Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:24 am
Discipline is great. Being healed by a Discipline priest is fine. They don't prevent as much damage as you think, unless you're not taking a lot of damage in the first place, in which case you might as well not get healed at all.
_________________

Turn In - http://www.curse.com/downloads/details/1444/