Skip to content
Maintankadin

TPS too high? -edit- JoL gives a few thousand TPS!

Knaughty
Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:20 pm

TPS too high? -edit- JoL gives a few thousand TPS!

@mods: This is kinda "3.0.2" kinda not. Cut me some slack, mebbe? Very Happy

OK, I've been following the TPS calculations people are putting up, and Firiona's "my TPS is kinda bad in Naxx" posts and I'm now seriously confused.

We ran Sunwell last night ('twas a joke - see http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/viewtopic.php?t=15504 for details). I lost my internet connection from an hour before the raid to 5 mins after scheduled start, so I had no time to set up my UI, and was thus not using the proper 96969 rotation - I was just mashing buttons as they came up. didn;t bother to put anything other that Judgement of Light on my bar, was using SoV, didn't have time to tune my gear at all for the new mechanics.

Anyway, despite all that, I was regularly running at well over 4k TPS, at level 70. Biggest issues of the night were me peeling things off other tanks (Felmyst off the MT, second Twin off the ranged tank). We got past M'uru for the first time, MD'd Doomwalker to the warrior, I gave him a few seconds while I ran in from M'uru's room.. proceeded to peel him.

• My OT TPS > warrior MT TPS.
• My level 70 TPS higher than Firiona's reports of her level 80 TPS.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

WWS busted, so I can't really check.

Only think I could think off was healing-aggro from JoL. EG: At Twins, I was second on aggro on second Twin when we switched, well ahead of all other healers - and I could DPS second Twin or I'd peel.

TPS reports are coming from latest version of Omen, which is using Blizzard's API, so the numbers should be correct and reliable.
_________________
Invisusira is mean and horrible! *plots kitten theft*
Cowadin
Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:50 pm
Conclusion: Mashing buttons is better than creating a logical rotation.

-Cow

Seriously tho -- I haven't raided yet, we raid 2nite in bout 3 hours.. I'll check out numbers/comparisons with other tanks then. I def. wasn't getting 4k tps on my pally on beta in the same gear I have now tho, so if I do end up seeing something like that there's def. a bug.
_________________
Cowadin
70 BE Tankadin
US Cho'gall
melange
Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:27 pm
Which mod were you using which reported 4k tps?

My whole guild downloaded the latest omen last night. We did up to brutallus and I was getting around 2k tps on avg with some spikes up to 3k briefly or when I could add hammer of wrath into the rotation.
melange
Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:37 pm
I was using judgement of wisdom. Hmm so your JoL was adding mroe threat due to the heal factor ... I did not try that. Will give it a go tonight and see how I go since mana was not an issue while tanking. It was an issue when I specced ret for Brut but ohhh baby did ret own or what!
fiorina
Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:50 pm
So is it "spikes 5k" or 4k or "maybe 3k"?

Check your total threat and divide it by duration of the fight to see.

Right now, on static fight, I am doing up to 2600DPS sustained, but thats with Naxx25 gear.

Anyway is this WotLK discussion?
Levantine
Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:51 pm
I think what he's saying is that it's between 3k and 4k sustained TPS, with 5k spikes with things like poor avoidance streaks etc.
_________________
Rinforza
私の名前を呼んで
砕けるくらい抱いて
garmca
Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:58 pm
I'm having the same "problem." My pally is level 63 now and I tanked blood furnace with a 70 mage in the party. After a few seconds to build aggro, the mage still was never able to pull mobs off of me with his frostbolt, now how can this be? I'm not complaining, but I don't want it to be too easy!! I don't even have my new spell rotation down yet, just pressing whichever cooldown is up at the moment.

Did I miss something in the release notes that said they were going to be changing threat mechanics around?