Skip to content
Maintankadin

We're doomed

Teah
Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:37 pm
My Reckoning has been only procing off of direct damage lately. Something I noticed at VR the other day.

I just don't understand is why people are willing to trade Redoubt for 5% block. Look at the gear, once you are uncrushable you will only get gear that will further put you over uncrushable. (Quite frankly its about a week or two of instance runs to hit this point - and you don't need it before Kara at all.) This makes a 5% block talent bad for MTing to. If you have the gear chances are you have block rating coming out of your ears. Block rating is littered over tons and tons of gear.

Redoubt helps us AoE tank in its current state. Originally I didn't like the talent much either... and then I started blocking stuff for over 400. Thats alot of damage to shave off a 1k base hit.. or even 1.5k base. No its not the best talent in the world but still - 5% block is really crappy.
_________________
Teah
Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:58 pm
I forget how much excess block rating I have.. I just can't seem to get rid of it. Embarassed

Ah well to each their own? I look forward to tanking waves in Hyjal and blocking for 500+ at least. Working on that set of gear now.
_________________
Kitara
Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:50 am
It wouldn't be a simple 5% talent anyway since all block % talents got a little extra added as well (like more rage, more block value). Of course you could just add a completely different ability instead that works for both AoE and single target tanking without losing anything out effectively in AoE tanking (which doesn't need a buff in my opinion - and it would get buffed by any added tanking ability/talents we get). It would make it easier to gear up without having to do huge amounts of math every time you get a nice and better piece of equipment. That's just not good game design.

Redoubt isn't that great. I'd say it effectivly gives around 10% more mean block % if you tank enough enemies at the same time so that holy shield doesn't matter that much overall. (10% chance to work, giving 5 charges and there is a good chance redoubt is already up when it procs so it doesn't give the full amount of charges but only fills them up to 5. Ideally with no redoubt proccing while one is up it would work at ~50% of the blocks. So I guess redoubt being up roughly 1/3 of the time in reality is a good estimate. 1/3 * 30% = 10%.)

If instead you make redoubt the same it is now just with a 15% block increase and 5% base block it would work just as well as it works now in an AoE situation but makes gearing up a lot easier at an entry raid level and would open up the possibility to actually add some other libram with other benefits than the one we almost all use once further up in raid progression.

It wouldn't make the 8 points for 30% more block value any better and not solve all problems but as it is now that talent is lacklustre at best 95% of the time when tanking.
Mellithe
Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:20 am
How about just change Redout to a 5% Dodge with the chance to block X percentage proc that happens X times.

It would assist us more then the block rating increase and be unique compared to warriors whom get the standard block %
_________________
Heal? Did Caeser heal when he conquered Gaul?
Morn
Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:28 am
One problem that I haven't heard mentioned yet is that a Redoubt charge gets eaten when you block even when Holy Shield is up (or the other way around). So if redoubt procs at the start of a HS and you fight mobs that can bring down your HS then you've lost Redoubt LONG before HS expires its 8 charges. Redoubt effectively does nothing even when AoE tanking when it procs in the first three hits. It would be more valuable if Redoubt procs wouldn't get eaten when HS is up.