Skip to content
Maintankadin

This may sound stupid but...

Snake-Aes
Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:07 am
Typically my tps shows as 300 to 400, averaging on 500 against fast hitters and another 50~ if I can exorcise and mana isn't an issue.
_________________
DeadlyRabbit
Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:17 am
When you tank you are fighting the mob and it is trying to kill you, you are fighting the dps and their aggro grains, your only friend is the healer... who is usually standing 40 yards away thinking that you need better gear so their job is easier. It can be a lot of fun but not everyone is cut out to lead fights.
Erendis
Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:20 am
Hey, don't feel so bad. I have the same problem but only with PuG's. I'm much more relaxed with guildies and friends. But the first few pulls with PuG's.... i know I could do better but its hard to know what they are going to do so I get nervous.

Anyways, I have to tell myself to relax and not overthink everything. I know what I am doing so I just need to do it. I think you should do the same. It helps if you can group with some people who are not so serious. My guild is pretty laid back and so it easier to relax with them.
_________________
Bow and Shield Blog

Kitsuna
Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:14 am
[WALLS OF TEXT INCOMING]

At the risk of being lynched by the rest of the tankadin community, I am taking a different stance on the whole problem.

No, there is nothing wrong with you. No, it is not unusual to be nervous when trying to impress good guildmates. No, you are not a disgrace to mankind. But yes, you do need an attitude shift.

I was sort of in the same boat back when I first did Kara. I only started playing with tbc, so I had no raid experience, no idea what to expect really. (Well, I read up on everything, but you know what I mean.) I was nervous that I would mess up and ruin their opinions of tankadins. These people were supportive- I had no fear of them gkicking or anything even if I was worthless- but it was still nerve wracking trying to make a good impression.

I geared up as best I could, and still ran into problems. It was strange though. Some runs I felt sturdy, like there was no way I would die, other runs I felt like I could die at any given second. This was frustrating, as I had all the gear I could possibly get at that stage of the game. Around that time, I realized something. The skill, gear, and efforts of the other 9 or 24 people do make a difference. The only thing YOU can do is: gear up, practice, and prepare. When you have done those as best you can, you don't need to worry. When you have done everything possible, there is nothing wrong with saying so when things go bad. I used to naturally assume that if I died, it was my fault. Many kara runs later, I know when it is my fault and when it isn't. If you are as geared as you can be and don't do anything stupid, it isn't your fault for dying. If you are doing your threat cycle correctly, it isn't your fault for losing aggro. No matter how much we would like it to be so, being an excellent tank does not completely make up for the shortcomings of others.

SUGGESTIONS

* Maximize your gear. I checked your armory, and you are gemming for slot bonuses and don't have most of your things enchanted. Even if you are dirt poor, get some +8/+10 stamina kits and azure moonstones (+stam gems) . The name of the game is maximizing stamina. (Along with uncrushability of course)

* If you are doing new content, watch youtube videos, read strategies, ask other players. If you are unsure of something, ask in a way that shows you are proactive.

Bad: So how do I do this boss?

Good: So, as I understand it, I tank him in the corner and avoid the fireblasts. Is there anything else I should be aware of, or anything different you guys do?


* If things do go south, there is nothing wrong with asking what happened. Ask in vent what went wrong. If it is intimated that your gear is at fault, this is where you can defend yourself. State that your gear is at the best it can be, and that it has been tanked before by less geared tankadins with less geared dps and healers.

Honestly, your teammates make a difference. Pre 2.3 I had 12.7k hp and with some groups I never dropped below 1/2 health. Post 2.3 with 16k hp, I have runs where I routinely die to trash. With experience, you will learn to recognize when it is and isn't your fault.

* Chime in when there is something you can do to be helpful. They won't always take it, but it leaves a good impression. A can do, let's figure it out attitude goes a long way.

* You will be less nervous as you get experience. Experience! There is no substitute for it.

*Do your best, have fun, work through the butterflies. Back when I played football, I felt almost sick to my stomache during pregame warmups. After the first few hits, I was fine and had fun for the rest of the game. Raiding can be kinda like that too. Tank a few mobs, notice that tanking mechanics have not arbitrarily stopped working, and enjoy yourself!

From someone who's been there-

-Kit

Edit: Vain attempt to make the formatting less painful
_________________
Erutaron
Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:41 am
I havn't done ANY raid tanking, but I have done lots of raid Healing/DPS'ing on my priest.

Tanking and healing share 1 very common quality. To do it well, you NEED, absolutly MUST HAVE, confidence in what you are doing.

A tank who doesn't think he can tank a mob, won't. A healer who doesn't think he can heal thru something, won't.

Building that confidence takes time, a great deal of time in-fact. You need to put yourself in the mindset that the other 4 people you are grouped with cannot do the quest or instance without you. You are there to protect them, and they are there to protect you.

To get this mindset takes time/practice. Run instances with your guildies/friends to gain this confidence. You WILL make mistakes, everyone does, anyone who says they don't make mistakes is lieing to you. The biggest thing is you need to learn from those mistakes, making this thread is a good start.

Where you are new to tanking, talk to the other tanks in your guild for some tips, even if they are not paladin's they will be able to help you greatly with some tips on pulls/positioning, etc...

After all that, there is the most important part, WoW is a game, never forget that.
Elennira
Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:04 pm
combo breaker!


also:

HAY INVIS, U WNAT 2 HEEL 4 MY GRUP, KTHXBAI!
_________________