I got into an interesting "dsicussion" on the OF with a warrior tank at one point about taunt in the rotation. This warrior used taunt as part of the opening rotation.
My point was that taunt did "nothing" while the mob was actually taunting you. The warrior pointed out that the fixate component of the taunt applies even if no aggro setting is done. The argument was made that having the mob fixated on you for the duration allowed dps to go full-steam from the start and prevented things from going tango uniform when a dps got an unlucky crit off the bat since the mob programatically would not switch targets for the duration of the fixate.
I don't quite agree with the logic since 3 seconds (I think that was the fixate timer) was pretty pointless in terms of holding agro but the unlucky crit part made some sense.
_________________
"It turns out that a large number of people are whiny motherfuckers ..." - PsiVen