Skip to content
Maintankadin

Do warriors care about being OP?

fuzzygeek
Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:19 pm
It's amusing to me that there's not a single encounter at our progression level (6/6,3/4.p4 goddamnitpeoplestopfreakingout) that I can't take over the warrior MT's role ... but he can't take /my/ role for anything I'm specifically doing.

Hydross adds: I tank them all. He can't. I can tank one Hydross phase AND all the adds. He can't.

Lurker: either of us can do this.

Leotheras: either of us can do this, but it's considerably easier for me.

Tidewalker: Warrior tank all the murlocks? Um. No.

Fathom Lord: Either of us can do any of the tasks; I typically tank the hunter because I don't even have to pay attention to pick up the pet.

Vashj: I tank Vashj while he plays Ultimate Frisbee. Self-BoF is not a small bonus on that fight.

Al'ar: I tank a lot of birdies. He can't. We'd have to change our entire strategy ... wouldn't be a big deal, but it'd add a lot of strain to melee and healers. I make this fight easier for everyone else.

VR: I can damn near tank it by myself. Tanked him for 99% on Tuesday; lost him on the last knockback and he ate a couple rogues before coming back to me. Maybe he could do the same -- it'd be interesting to see TPS comparisons between a warrior popping GAB and a paladin popping wings, destro pots, spell damage trinkets, and the like.

Solarian: Again, a dozen adds. Again, stuff for which we're well suited.

Kael: I tank 3-4 weapons (no axe or bow), then whatever weapons are left over + Telonicus while DPS is mopping up. Again, something he can't do.

I've started studying the MH/BT fights, and MH is like candyland.

Granted, we're kind of stuck with shit jobs like tanking a billion adds instead of going toe-to-toe with the Big Bad. But for the most part, unless Spell Reflect is specifically required, we could.

Yes we can use small tweaks here and there. Yes, our stat synergy is stupid and spell casters can eat us alive. For some things warriors are still better. But overall paladins make things easier.

People like easy.
_________________
Worldie
Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:27 pm
The problem is...


You don't need a Prot paladin (neither a druid actually). You can clear the game with just prot warriors.

However, having a Prot paladin makes a LOT of things considerably easier.


The issue is in the first sentence. As long as you can clear everything without us, we are not needed.



Many people don't understand what "easier" means. They only understand "the standard way".
_________________

Levantine
Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:15 am
You actually can't. RoS phase 2 will pwn you. Spell Reflect ftl.
_________________

Io.Draco
Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:03 pm
I dunno about you but my guild cleared hyjal trash without a tankadin on the 3 tank idea , 2 wars and 1 druid they had

But ofc I make it easier Razz
_________________
Jarion
Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:18 am
Meh...I'm personally not too stressed about fighting other tanks of other classes for the chance to main tank bosses.

I'm more than happy to be the guy that trivialises trash, makes certain boss encounters a lot easier, and can actualy tank 95% of the bosses too should I need to.

The only thing I would have a problem with is being forced to be OT to a warrior of inferior gear and/or skill purely because he is a warrior and I am a paladin. Fortunately that hasn't happened in my new guild....they appreciate pally tank strengths and weaknesses because they had a decent one who left shortly before I arrived.
_________________
Inferno255
Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:00 am
You know what sucked? Doing ZA with some social warrior and him doing stable 1800+ TPS on basicly everything in his blue gear mixed with some kara pieces. I'd say that's not all fair=p
_________________
Norrath
Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:37 am
Yeah, anyone who still claims Protection warriors can't DPS live in the past. Fury gear with focus on strength gems/items, DWing in Berserker Stance, spamming Whirlwind and Devastate, and you'll do good DPS as Protection. (And yes, 900+ DPS sustained has been achieved.)

The only beef I have with Protection paladins nowadays is that they absolutely dominate 5-mans compared to warriors (who are generally the worst choice for a 5-man, oddly enough).

On the raiding front, warriors still have advantages that puts them ahead. Not by a lot these days, but it's there.
_________________
Earthen Ring-EU:
Norrath, 70 HU Warrior (retired)
Shaleen, 67 HU Paladin (retired)
Ravenholdt-EU:
Threkk, 40 OR Warrior