Skip to content
Maintankadin

[Blizzcon] Defense is Gone

Cema
Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: [Blizzcon] Defense is Gone

Flex wrote:
There are gimmick sets, but that doesn't change with the released details and removing defense as a worry stat may actually open up more gemming options, such as it being okay to gem for Strength in a progression set.


yes gemming for ..... aaaaah wait ... STAMINA !

oh shit

Constantíne wrote: I liked having to think about things like gear/gems/chants/etc.

Apparently thinking is overrated.


qft
Jonesy
Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: [Blizzcon] Defense is Gone

Constantíne wrote:I liked having to think about things like gear/gems/chants/etc. Apparently thinking is overrated.


There is no "thinking" involved in optimally gemming and gearing at the moment, it's the application of a very simple algorithm. I don't know what the changes are going to be like (given that they haven't been designed yet), but it can't possibly be worse than the current situation.
Markoh
Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:30 pm

Re: [Blizzcon] Defense is Gone

I don't think removing def will change any of that "thinking" on gear if its important to you. All def adds to the thinking party is, have at least 540? Good stack other stuff now. Thats not thinking, especially considering the amount of def on some of the higher end pieces.

The only time I've even found my self considering def was when I was contemplating going to a dps weapon.

My question is, will there be a way for the % to increase will we be stuck with (I'm just making up a number) 5% reduction from block the whole expansion. I was thinking you could keep block value and have it increase the amount you reduce, making you make an active decision on whether to block more often or for more. Or both and screw over your avoidance, but I guess trying to keep that many options itemized would be rough.
Ulushnar
Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:32 pm

Re: [Blizzcon] Defense is Gone

Cema wrote:
Constantíne wrote: I liked having to think about things like gear/gems/chants/etc.

Apparently thinking is overrated.


qft


Ummm, what thinking?

1. Get 540 Defense
2. Gem to match Meta requirements
3. Stack Stamina everywhere else. If the socket bonus is enough Stamina to make using hybrid gems worthwhile, do so.

So you've reduced a three-step procedure to a two-step one. Big deal!

I'll stop now. Knee-jerk QQ always makes me angry, which leads to angry posts. Suffice to say, I welcome any change in any game which will streamline mechanics. Because games are at their core supposed to be things that we do for fun, not things that we do to show how much better we are at reading a spreadsheet.
Vanifae
Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:55 pm

Re: [Blizzcon] Defense is Gone

I approve of new changes.
Sabindeus
Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:01 pm

Re: [Blizzcon] Defense is Gone

Sort of disappointed that they haven't said what they're going to do about Spell Power (or I guess it's intellect now!) Plate for Paladin Healers. shit needs to go.
KysenMurrin
Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:02 pm

Re: [Blizzcon] Defense is Gone

They said what they're doing - nothing. Until they can come up with a solution - and according to them, so far they can't come up with anything that works - it's here to stay.
Vindicated
Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:05 pm

Re: [Blizzcon] Defense is Gone

Sabindeus wrote:Sort of disappointed that they haven't said what they're going to do about Spell Power (or I guess it's intellect now!) Plate for Paladin Healers. shit needs to go.



All they need to do is take the formula they are going to use to make int>spellpower and put that into effect for strength for paladins instead. make str=15 mana like int is now, and bam. all hte plate dps gear you would use as ret would work for a holy. Forge the stam into spirit, and there you go. stam, str, and crit rating, then some spirit, and you have a working way to remove the bad int plate.
Vindicated
Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: [Blizzcon] Defense is Gone

Vindicated wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Sort of disappointed that they haven't said what they're going to do about Spell Power (or I guess it's intellect now!) Plate for Paladin Healers. shit needs to go.



All they need to do is take the formula they are going to use to make int>spellpower and put that into effect for strength for paladins instead. make str=15 mana like int is now, and bam. all hte plate dps gear you would use as ret would work for a holy. Forge the stam into spirit, and there you go. stam, str, and crit rating, then some spirit, and you have a working way to remove the bad int plate.



And if that doesn't put icing to the cake, the added strength to holy's inventory makes pvp and leveling little less boring, given the coefficients to AP in offensive spells.
Doxa
Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:13 pm

Re: [Blizzcon] Defense is Gone

Sabindeus wrote:Sort of disappointed that they haven't said what they're going to do about Spell Power (or I guess it's intellect now!) Plate for Paladin Healers. shit needs to go.


This came up in the Q&A and they said they have no solution for it so Plate spell power (or plate w/ Int rather) is staying.
fafhrd
Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: [Blizzcon] Defense is Gone

Invisusira wrote:It looks to me like they're trying to take a lot of the spreadsheet homework out of the game - which I think is a big step in the right direction. A huge part of why early Classic was massively enjoyable was that there was no homework. You just played.



Eh? I guess you mean while levelling/progressing in MC? I was doing "homework" by the time I was in MC, but by the time I was in MC people were already clearing BWL so that's probably not "early". I liked the homework though, and there was more to do, since you usually made your own spreadsheets and sims and instead of posting one that everyone worked on.

Stats being dumbed down != "more fun"
Sark
Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:13 pm

Re: [Blizzcon] Defense is Gone

No one brought it up...so i guess i will



goodbye forever tanking 1handers

hello rogueys shammies and dw dks...u will now learn to SHARE!
Tev
Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:19 pm

Re: [Blizzcon] Defense is Gone

Massive spreadsheet to tell me that piece A > piece B != fun
More options besides "git 540 def now, rawr!" = big improvement.

I would imagine there will still be some 1hs that have dodge/parry on them
Ulushnar
Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: [Blizzcon] Defense is Gone

Sark wrote:goodbye forever tanking 1handers


Cos you know, it's inconceivable they could put parry, expertise and dodge rating on a 1-hander... :roll:
fafhrd
Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:31 pm

Re: [Blizzcon] Defense is Gone

Tev wrote:Massive spreadsheet to tell me that piece A > piece B != fun


Making massive spreadsheet to evaluate whether piece A > B == fun.

Testing to determine formulae to put into massive spreadsheet == fun.

Having gear choices come down to just "item B has the same 3 stats all my gear has, and more of them than item A, so obviously item B is better than A" == boring. (i'm not talking about tanking stats here, tanks are probably fortunate in still having a fair few stats to juggle)