Skip to content
Maintankadin

Do warriors care about being OP?

Inferno255
Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:58 am
Extra healing isn't needed. If you need 6 you won't use 5 and an offspec. You'll use 6 and an extra dps.
_________________
Warrender
Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:03 am
Wasn't meant to show what's more needed or not; just an explanation why we can't always get what we want.
_________________
amadiss
Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:35 am
Of course we like to talk for hours about wether warrioir are OP or not.

But that was not the point I wanted

This is more of a "hate the evil-selfish warriors" thread to remind you that during all the time they were way, way, way superior as Tanks they didn't even think there was anything wrong about that.

And I tell you, If for any reason they would become again the unique tanking class, most of them would think its just fair!

Of course they needed to build an excuse for that:

"we can't grind"
"we can't pvp"
"were just handsome in our plate..."

If you think about it any OP class will always justify itself with this knind of argument.

For me:

- Paladins should be Tanking.
- Warriors should be an OK tank for some fights, where you have single target and white damge is enough to hold aggro.
- They should get DPS on par with druids so they get more raid utility.
- MS war is a good PvP class, with interrupts, sunders and shouts that buff the Tankadins and melee DPS Wars are a viable PvE class.
- If you want to MT reroll a paladin.


Of course this is NOT how things are, but it would be just as fair or unfair as it has been. It is just an example of how we would speak if we were as arrogant as they have been Wink .
Snake-Aes
Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:43 am
well amadiss, no one likes losing, and being the "the" of tanking for the whole pre bc experience, the mindset persists, and they don't want to share
_________________
Splug
Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:46 am
Heh, you know, there's actually a bit of "what the hell, paladin tanks are overpowered" whining on the warrior forums. Starting at full mana instead of 10-16 rage means you get more than one swing if there's a parry exchange on the pull. 4 charges on block per 5 sec instead of 2 charges per 5 sec. Ardent Defender is on autopilot, unlike Shield Wall requiring quick reactions and a global cooldown. But the general opinion is that all is about where it needs to be, and I don't see many cries for warrior tanking buffs. Honestly, 90% of the warrior community is more concerned about the best way to kill a sl/sl lock.

In the end, things are much more ballanced than most people seem to give them credit for. Warriors do get an edge in single target tanking. In exchange... well, ever try to control more than two targets via tab-sunder spam? Having played both a prot paladin and a prot warrior, I personally prefer the warrior for probably the dumbest reason ever: I got bored only having to consecrate, judge, and holy shield; I'm too accustomed to fighting GCD's. As far as class mechanics go, it's fairly close on both ends if you can get them in comparable gear.

You cannot take without giving something away. Druids can take crushing blows. Warriors cannot handle multiple targets well. Paladins have slightly less mitigation 1v1 than warriors. The only problem is that very few bosses take advantage of multi-target tanking. If anything, it's more a problem of encounter design bias than class ballance.

-Splug

EDIT: Clarified my initial tone.
_________________
(Usually) Prot warrior: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Splug
(Usually) Prot paladin: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Splugadin
Dragonzbane
Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:06 am
Not making good points here.

Sharlos
Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:27 pm
I'd be perfectly happy with paladins as they are right now *if* there were more encounters that were tailored towards a paladin tank.

Things like bosses vunerable to holy damage.
Or a boss encounter where you fight three bosses and if they are all attacking the same target they all deal less damage
Or really really fast attacker that can crush.
Or bosses with periodic flurry attacks instead of a OneBigCrushingSwingOfTankDeath

I don't want encounters that warriors can't tank. I DO want encounters where paladins have an advantage though. Just like there should be encounters where warriors and druids (and soon Deathknights) have advantages.

The whole warriors being the only viable tank is a thing of the past.

Yes many of the warriors on the official forums and in game were conceited and arrogant. But so were priests when they were the only decent healing class.
Ahms
Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:35 pm
We're just in the middle of a paradigm shift for WoW, so there is going to be some natural flak between the offenders (ie, the tanking Classes)

With WotlK bringing 4 Tank Classes to the table things will get fun Smile
_________________
Paid by the Alliance
To slay all the giants


-Ahms of Mannoroth
0/49/12

Art - http://ahms.deviantart.com/
Honorshammer
Fri Jan 04, 2008 1:47 pm
Originally posted on these forums by Joanadark/Brekke

Joanadark (Level 70 Warrior, Spirestone server) has written the Litany of the Disgruntled Warrior in response to the Warrior's complaints about the buff to the Combat Expertise talent currently on the 2.3 PTR.

If I want DPS buffs, it's because I'm a hybrid.
If I want to tank, its because I'm the only PURE tanking class.
If I DPS badly, it's because I am broken.
If I tank badly, it's because my itemization sucks.
If I die, it's because of my healers.
If I live, it's because I have Shield Wall and you don't.
If I fail at PvP, it's because I am gear dependant.
If a 2 hander drops, Arms is an amazing PvE spec.
If my current 2 hander is better, Arms is good only for PvP.
The devs hate us, except when they don't.
_________________

http://honorscode.blogspot.com/