Goreon
Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:55 pm
Re: Ulduar 10 completed in all blues group
What junk?

Goreon wrote:I'm in it for a quick badge run, not to prove a point. Either link your [EPIC] / [ACHIEVEMENT] or make way for the next bloke who will. THAT is the bottom line...
If you have skilled tanks and healers, you can steamroll just about anything.
On the other hand, a geared DPS knows that they can find another PuG fairly quickly, and doesn't feel any reason to stay, especially since they (almost invariably) feel they are better than the rest of the group.
Instead of spending 15 minutes before the pull making sure everyone understands what will happen, make sure the tanks (which we will before we start) and the healers know what's coming, then pull and fill the DPS in as we go.
PsiVen wrote:I'm all for the whole "skill>gear" thing, and certainly wow-heroes scores aren't the ideal metric even for measuring that. But consider this: My druid, who hit 80 less than a week ago, has a score of 2284. She is already beyond reproach when it comes to joining any pickup raid, and I'm not exactly the best resto druid in the world (yet).
Certainly someone with less access to resources like gold and spare guild bank materials will have a harder time, but I would argue that the gear requirement should be even steeper for characters who are not alts but in fact first-time 80s who lack experience with their class, the level cap, the raiding content, etc.
The bottom line is: someone who has garbage gear in the age of "welfare epics" has simply not put much if any effort into improving their character. So why should you invite them to a PUG where half of the people who appear to have good gear are incompetent anyway?
mavfin wrote:That's the thing. My alts don't have trash gear. They have good-enough gear, but they don't have achievements. I can pass gear checks. Well, I wouldn't feel guilty at all using underachiever to get in raids with some of you, then, if your answer to 'find a better raider' is to accept anyone who's been carried to achievements.
Goreon wrote:mavfin wrote:That's the thing. My alts don't have trash gear. They have good-enough gear, but they don't have achievements. I can pass gear checks. Well, I wouldn't feel guilty at all using underachiever to get in raids with some of you, then, if your answer to 'find a better raider' is to accept anyone who's been carried to achievements.
If you want to get spots in blues to prove a point, then that's up to you. But you can't change the system where competition (especially for DPS spots) in raids is so fierce.
You either learn to go with the flow, or stay on your moral high ground in /4 and like it or not, that's the bottom line reality of this situation folks.
mavfin wrote:Goreon wrote:mavfin wrote:That's the thing. My alts don't have trash gear. They have good-enough gear, but they don't have achievements. I can pass gear checks. Well, I wouldn't feel guilty at all using underachiever to get in raids with some of you, then, if your answer to 'find a better raider' is to accept anyone who's been carried to achievements.
If you want to get spots in blues to prove a point, then that's up to you. But you can't change the system where competition (especially for DPS spots) in raids is so fierce.
You either learn to go with the flow, or stay on your moral high ground in /4 and like it or not, that's the bottom line reality of this situation folks.
I can pass a gear check, unless it's wanting Ulduar-10 gear for Naxx 10, which does happen, and in those situations, I just figure the raidleader wants to be carried to loot by players better than him. I can't pass achievement checks with alts, though, unless I use Underachiever. However, if you were the raidleader, I wouldn't feel guilty at all, because I know I can outperform 3/4 of the 14 people standing behind me.
I *nowhere* said I wanted spots in blues.
My original point that's been lost is that I see a lot of bitching about how bad puggies are, but, I see a lot of defense of using methods to screen out people that are guaranteed to get you the same puggies you're griping about over and over again, and leaving good people with decent gear on the sidelines. You just defended that practice again. If you defend the practice of taking people who've been carried to achievements over people who know what they're doing, but don't have that achievement, then I think you lose your right to gripe.
I get in the raids I want, really. I just have to use Underachiever to do it sometimes. I guess after what I've seen on this thread from people, I'll no longer feel guilty about it.
Goreon wrote:The 'this is my alt' arguement doesn't wash if you're in blues either because if you have a main, you have access to money, which means you can buy a good entry level set.
.
I bring properly geared/enchanted/gemmed/specced toons that may not have the achievements. Are they in hard-mode gear? No. But they are in sufficient gear for the raid