Skip to content
Maintankadin

We're doomed

Lore
Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:22 pm
Holy Shield lasts me about 2 seconds when AE tanking. I don't know what you're AE tanking that attacks slow enough that it lasts the whole way through, but for the rest of that time period I love Redoubt.

Given that I'm the only Paladin in the tank group when raiding, and there are no casters in my group, concentration aura is completely worthless. Let the other paladins (in the healer groups, with their mana tide shaman and shadow priests) get it. So it comes down to devotion vs retribution... which depends on the situation. When AE tanking or when I need extra threat, the ret aura threat helps. It's not Consecrate, but it's certainly not insignificant. Otherwise, it's Devo.
_________________
Me, LOL!
Kitara
Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:06 pm
Sure it improved AoE tanking but little else and I'd much rather have some block ability with a fixed percentage to help lower level tanking paladins to become uncrushable (and it would still help at AoE tanking).

I think it is one of our weakest talents, that AoE tanking is strong enough, if not too strong. I still think it's the smartest choice to cut back on that to improve on our weaknesses.
Joanadark
Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:40 pm
I think redoubt could be improved greatly by increasing the number of charges, while keeping the proc chance the same.
_________________
Tanking setup:
http://ctprofiles.net/4325913
elson
Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:27 am
While I can certainly agree that it would be nice to have a fixed % increase in block added somehow into the prot tree without bloating it too much I am really having a hard time getting my mind around why people don't value redoubt.

No, its not useful when single tanking a raid boss really. However in any aoe situation its simply amazing. I really think a better understanding of the different roles we are capable of is needed before people start asking for various buffs, especially at the cost of already existing abilities.

I would not be happy at all for a 5% chance to block vs redoubt. The extra amount of stamina, etc I could gain would just not be worth loosing the ability to breeze through aoe heroic runs, aoe farm at a pace that puts mages to shame, or do even half as well vs the now somewhat famous aoe encounters in end-game raiding.
_________________
Zeal without wisdom is folly
Kitara
Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:45 am
Well to be honest it just be me thinking that our AoE tanking abilties are rather overpowered and I think a slight reduction there would be actually quite ok to improve basic tanking especially for lower level people who just start raiding.
Kitara
Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:38 am
That would work. Other stuff that would work too is making redoubt weaker but adding a fixed block percentage for base blocking too. (All +% blocking skills have something extra, here it would be redoubt).

Like having redoubt have the effect it has now but with 10% extra block value instead of 30% and adding 5% Block. Also it being a 5 point skill needed for shield spec is the real downer not so much the skill itself (though I do find it pretty lacklustre.)