Skip to content
Maintankadin

Welcome

fruit
Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:01 am
Hello!

After a few months of lurking i have decided to sign up! I one of the few higher-end prot pallys on the eu-terenas server. Thanks for the great archive of knowledge i have come to rely on while learning my palladin!
Exodius
Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:32 am
I haven't formally introduced myself yet.

My name is Exodius, I like to tank. Very Happy

I use to have a 70 holy priest that was just starting to break into T5 content on the 3rd highest ranked guild at the time.

But then my grandmother got sick. She is in a Nursing home now, but she was living 5 doors away from me and I am the sole relative responsible for her. My mother died a few years ago so it's pretty much just her and me now. And yes, I am old, but not ancient. = \

So raiding got chucked out the window as all the stuff I had to deal with was pretty stressful and being Australian, things had to happen during most days when I was raiding during the US night time.

To take a break from it all I decided to develop a paladin tank. Being a healer you see a lot of tanks, and the ones I was always most impressed with were paladins. They hold aggro like superglue, making a healers job a whole lot easier. Very Happy

So, I slowly developed Exodius. I was amazed at the fact that he could take a hit and pretty much never die at all. I would have "France pants" moments, in honor of the former tankadin who inspired me, when things would go bad and I would just grit my teeth, knuckle down, and live.

It sure was not easy levelling as a tankadin though. I would get a lot of crap from people who said paladins could never tank at lower levels and, to be honest, my spell rotation was pretty poor until I was about level 69 or so. Rolling Eyes

Slowly though, I learnt, I read, I experienced, I tried out, I debated on forums and got better at tanking.

I've had some amazing situations, like living for around 5 minutes on the second boss on Shadow Labs when the rest of the group wiped and gave up. "It's okay to die", they said, and then I proved the wrong. The eventually came back in and helped kill him. The feral druid was so impressed she said that she could almost consider respeccing her old paladin in light of what she saw. Very Happy

Or the time when I had a hunter in a PUG in Shattered Halls normal say that he was going to make a paladin tank because he was amazed at what he was seeing from me.

Or the time I first ran Heroic Underbog and cleared the whole thing with no wipes and just over 10k unbuffed health. I've also cleared Shattered Halls heroic the first time I tried it, with just under 11k unbuffed health. Very Happy

Still though, I get crap from pugs and guilds. I'm still trying to work out how to handle being a raid tank with people that don't understand protection paladins. I have just joined a guild that is just on the T5 content, the same place my priest was when I stopped raiding.

I don't know if I can contribute right away, I don't know how it will go with dealing with the other tanks in the guild. The tank leader, a warrior, has a 69 priest alt though who heals. Hopefully he might not be entirely biased. Very Happy

I also like to post long and love theory craft. This place looks great and should be more enjoyable than the WoW paladin forums, though occassionally I might troll there. Very Happy
_________________

Mackkie
Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:13 am
I just wanted to say hi and thanks for putting together such a informative forum.
_________________
Landing
Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:33 am
Hi would like to introduce myself.

I am Landing an lvl 70 Tankadin from Aerie peak. One of the 3 GM and RL of a small but friendly guild Dark order of Chaos.

Have been playing Paladin for about 1,5 years now and for the last 4 months as Tank. I use to be a tank before but that was before TB and you where considered a bit of a joke as Paladin Tank at those times so was forced to switch to Holy. That has changed thank god

Very happy to see a forum for pala tanks filled with lots of information.

Landing
Rooke
Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:08 pm
I followed a link from the Elitest Jerks' Protadin thread to here. Spent the next 45minutes trying to work out what the Spooks-anti-bot authentication code was (before giving up and asking someone who already had access) and signed up this evening.


I go by the login "Rooke", and my main is a protection paladin and guild master of the 'casual' raiding guild [Made] on Anachronos EU. I've spent plenty of time learning all the classes I've played at a top PvE level (I raided as a hunter pre-bc, shaman just after BC was released and now I'm a protection paladin). I have a huge issue with people not knowing how best to play their class and as such I'm unable to stop myself pooring over hundreds of posts about my class.

So far I've experienced and cleared every part of tier 5 content apart from kael'thas as my guild has had a couple of teething problems, most recently the loss of our excelent main-tank as he wanted to push more on the hardcore raiding perspective, and as our officers have already done the 25hours/week raiding malarcy we have no plans to push that into the raiding schedule. I've had a relatively back-seat roll when it comes to tanking as I know the limitations of the role when compared to Warriors (aswell as a strong belief that they're the "real" Maintank class). However I've had lots of success on the bosses that I've tanked key parts of (Karathress, Morogrim's murlocs, Void Reaver etc). I've dabbled in Retribution and just felt that it was, for lack of a better phrase, easy and thus I wasn't feeling challenged and quickly became bored.

So, thats me; Rooke. Sorry it's so long (not that anybody will really read it), but I've got lots of spare time.

[E] It looks longer in the small window you type in o.O
karlei
Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:54 am
Greetings. Well since I did my first post here (I should have said, long time reader, first time poster Razz ) Figured I'd introduce myself. My Maintanky is Karlei from the Thorium Brotherhood RP server. I am also one of the officers of the guild as well. My tank has been prot since level 10 when I could put that first talent point anywhere I wanted.

I have played around with many specs and even went ret a few times just to vent the frustrations of not being able to kill anyone in PvP (hearing guildies go "Killing blow" was pissing me off) But I've come to love Prot and respect it for the nitch it is.

My favorite tanking place, Shattered Halls. I though on all my plus spell gear, and I AOE tank that place like nobodies business. Its one place that I am first in the damage meters.

Right now I am a main tank for our guild for heroics and an off tank for Kara and Gruuls. My guild is very light raiding as we are RP.

Thanks for making this site for all of us!
_________________
Lariqe
Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:55 pm
Hello everyone. I'm not sure what all I can say here about myself honestly. My character is in my sig, and I'm just starting to get to actual tanking of instances, even if they are only 5-mans right now.

I have to say, though, its quite fun and always a rush to do the tanking bit. Its still a little overwhelming on me though, trying to make sure I have everything right and all, but I am trying.

The guild I'm in isn't much on actual raiding as it is, but some of us are preparing to do so, with a bunch of our friends in another guild. There are reasons why I'm in the guild I'm in, the majority of it being loyalty and respect I have for most of the members in it, and that's all I'll say about that.

Anyways, I hope to learn more while I'm here, and hopefully help others out as well.
_________________
Insane mini-god of death and protection, as well as a defender of truth, justice, pie, and cake.
Ashkicker
Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:30 pm
I'm Ashkicker of Vengeful Demigods on the US, PvP server of Detheroc. I've been reading these forums for about a month now and jsut the other day decided to register. And btw that authentication code was a pain to figure out, thnx for the tip.

I originally started my Pally because my shaman who had been cornholed into being Resto for years Pre-BC had lvl'd to 70 as Ele and proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that he could be top DPS in damn near anything my guild could get to, wound up resto once again do to the loss of a couple key healers.

Myself and a few buddies that were beginning to get tired of their toons as well started up some lowbies for the little bit non-raiding time that we had. Although after about lvl 30 or so i wound up on my own allot for the rest of the leveling and it took a while because i was still raiding on my shaman and moved guilds a few times to try out different styles of raiding.

After I logged on one day to find that my last guild had basically imploded on me, I decided to make my pally into my main. And some friends had been asking me to start up a casual Raiding / PvP guild so I did. It took about a week or so and I had her from lvl 54 to 70. From there I spent about 3 weeks trying to get her gear ready for MT in Kara.

I still don't think I have the proper gear to be downing nearly all of Kara, but I have somehow managed to do it, huge props to the healers for that night they were really on the ball.

Anyway Thanks for making such an informative place for prot pally information, I wouldn't have been able to tank 1/2 of what we have so far with out information that I have found in these forums Smile
_________________

Halten
Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:59 pm
long time lurker from the us-thrall realm here iv been tanking since pre-TBC days(but not at the raid level) and have always enjoyed it more than any other role
im in a decently well progressed guild(5/6 SSC 2/4 TK starting attempts on vashj tonight!) and due to lack of tanks that have great attendance im used quite a bit and have gotten my guildies to give tankadins a lot more respect since i joined
Viktus
Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:11 pm
Hi, my name is Viktus and I am a tank Cool

Like most of my brethren I spent my time pre-BC healing BWL, but I always wanted to tank. When the expansion was announced guild raids started to grind to a halt, which let me play around with alternative specs. I pugged several ZGs and AQ20s over the remaining months as prot, and while it wasn't easy to convince puggers to let a Paladin tank bosses, I refused to give up until I had convinced them I could do it.

When BC hit I leveled as ret (Hand of Ragnaros lasted a very long time) but a shortage of tanks on the server combined with retribution's massive aggro pulled me back into protection after level 66.

My current guild is mostly made of local friends so it wasn't hard to convince them to let me tank for them. Our only other tank was a warrior who had occasional threat issues, yet our top geared DPS couldn't pull off of me while trying. I also had the most raiding experience in the guild, though some others had their fair share, we had many guildies who had never been to a raid. So I scheduled and tanked heroics and 5 mans to get their gear caught up, and when we were finally ready, we went to Karazhan and got our guild-first kills of Moroes, Maiden, BBW, and Curator on our first ever attempt on each of them. Hoof went down soon after, and although Aran was sketchy (Flame wreath... Sigh) we were able to clear Karazhan very soon after.

I tank everything in Kara; Attu + Midnight, Moroes + all adds, Maiden, Hoof + all imps, Prince, and even Bane without FW. We've been clearing Karazhan for a while now, but we are very low on healers so we can't attempt 25-mans. Zul'Aman is our new playground, and we celebrated our first Bear and Lynx kills recently.

My guild loves their Maintankadin, and I love tanking =)
_________________
koldawne
Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:44 pm
Hi All,

Another lurker here. I played WoW way back in beta for a couple of months but never got into it too much. I'm am old school MMO'er - I still actively raid in EQ on my Cleric [when my schedule cooperates].

I came back to WoW a couple of months ago and started a Drenai Paladin. I have been a 'healer' for so long I really wanted to be a 'tank' so that is where she will stay - I have no desire to have any other spec Smile

I just hit Outlands today for the first time ever - I watched that battle on the stairs for a LONG time.. I'm not really big enough or been around long enough to contribute too much but I'm happy for the chance to read and learn all that I can about my Pally.

Thanks for making this forum!
_________________