Skip to content
Maintankadin

Being RL

Maranus
Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:27 am
Puss, how many members does your guild have? How long have these members been in the guild? How long as the guild been standing? Just curious.

Honestly, all of the things you require, should be a non-issue, they should be expected.
_________________

You know you want it! Ooorah /dance
Neuron
Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:57 am
Gosh I should be so lucky to listen to Lore in vent, with his funny jokes that make me laugh out loud!
_________________


Warcrafter - The new CTProfiles.
Vanifae
Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:24 am
For myself since I raid lead and tank, I tend to look at life bars and such in my raid UI and also listen to what is going on. I think if your raid leader is also the tank it is a good idea for someone to also help from the outside looking in, but something you don’t need to see if you can see a raid warning coming, it is good to announce on voice chat that “Spout is coming in 5 seconds”, or any other timed ability of a boss.

I tend to rely on my other officers to police the raid and make sure people are doing what they need to do. Help is always good, especially in a 25 man raid. We usually break it down by zones of responsibility with one person running the overall raid, but the rest stepping in as needed, it seems to work for us and that is the ultimate litmus test.

So my advice, know the encounter beforehand so you feel confident enough to explain, use help when you believe you won’t have a larger view of the encounter, and just stay focused and focus on having fun.
_________________
Visit my crappy blog... Words of Replicant Jesus
Ahms
Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:19 am
Split the responsibilities with some of your vet raiders. Sometimes I explain/setup something, sometimes they do, etc. if they know a situation much better than me. They can also help call out certain boss abilities, timers, what not so you don't have to focus on everything at once

Above all though make sure to keep things friendly and relaxed. If someone messes something up big deal, it's a computer game; these are real people behind these characters and they're just looking for a good time. Laugh it off and just let them know what they did wrong/help them improve their game. When you take things too serious is when you start to get the drama llama involved


Good luck to you! Smile
_________________
Paid by the Alliance
To slay all the giants


-Ahms of Mannoroth
0/49/12

Art - http://ahms.deviantart.com/
Dorvan
Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:06 am
This is going to sound wishy-washy and vague, but it's true:

Find your style.

I'm one of about three people is our guild who leads raids on a regular basis and we all have slightly different approaches. Some differences include how much carrot vs. stick is used, how much input from others over vent is acceptable during raid time, how much fun chatter is acceptable, and whether/how much individual people are called out for errors in vent vs in private tells.

There are a number of approaches that work, you just have to figure out what is a good fit for your raid and your own personality. It will take some experimentation with different styles, and you will make some mistakes. That's okay, you don't become a good raid leader overnight. I've only been doing it for a couple months myself and still have a lot of room for improvement.

Since I've been giving lots of vague high-level advice, one practical tip: get a couple people to help you with administrative details. First of all, loot. Get someone else to handle it, you've got more important things to worry about. In our raids, we also have someone who in charge of managing the raid make up. They get the groups set, make sure the right people are waiting outside the instance, and make substitutions when needed. Having a separate person doing that is very nice as it allows that stuff to be taken care of while you're leading trash, reducing downtime.
_________________
Erendis
Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:00 am
I guess different styles work for different people. In the guild I am in we don't use DKP we don't /gkick for bad raid performance. It works for us because we are friends first and foremost. There aren't loot hogs b/c we don't do that to friends. In most cases we're trying to convince the other people to take the gear instead of ourselves.

When everyone respects each other I find that people will prepare themselves for raids just fine without threats.

Anyways, planning ahead of time is always a good thing. We expect people to read the fights but we skim over the general plan right before. When doing new content we also discuss why we did or did not down that boss. There doesn't seem to be much need for a raid leader if everyone knows what they are supposed to do beforehand. 2 minutes outside of a boss can save time on attempts.

If there is direction needed within the fight nominate one person that can direct the raid. For example I am not a RL but I do direct traffic during the Prince fight and am responsible for keeping and eye on infernal placement.

Also, it seems that everything runs smoother when you know everyone elses role as well as your own. I think EVERYONE should know what can be CC'd or how much damage X mob hits for on plate or what sort of heals a resto druid can do, etc. You can't expect people to understand you if you don't bother to understand them.
_________________
Bow and Shield Blog