Skip to content
Maintankadin

Strategies for various Alliance battlegrounds

uke
Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:08 am
Pretty sure it's not just in my head. If I keep a running talley of BG's for a night, alliance tends to win a good 75% of AV matches, but usually one-third to one-fourth of it's other BG matches (estimated numbers, but fairly close). This has been consistent over many days of PVP'ing. This is for Reckoning battlegroup, btw.

If you'd like, I could start making an actual tally over a set period of time to get a nice sample. I still need a lot of WSG, AB, and EOTS marks, so I'll be running them all a good bit.
Dragonzbane
Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:09 am
Pre-BC I used to be part of a Steamroll group, we ran AB and WSG and sometimes AV when we were bored between Qs. Pre-BC before cross-realms came out Qs Alliance side were horrible, in the 30-60 range.

Strat were as follows:

WSG:
Everyone but the FC and a Healer meet the opposing team at mid directly in front of their GY cutting them off from our ramp and tunnel. Kill everyone and keep them from getting to our FR while the FC caps flags.
Assist the KC as necessery.

Note:
One thing I've noticed lately is that Horde in my BG almost always come out their GY side at the start. I've never seen a Horde player come out ramp side and rarely through the tunnel. Just throwing that out there.


AB:
Phase 1: Group 1 & 2 go BS, Group 3 go LM, 1 Person from G1 Caps Stabs
Phase 2: Group 2 Takes farm
Phase 3: 2 People guard each node the rest roam for defense answering incoming calls.

Call # Incoming and ask for that many as support, make macros.
"2 INC LM send 2"
"3 INC BS send 3"
If it's more than 4 or 5 suggest hitting the leftover node.
Call out were you are assisting so that you don't end up with 5 people going to kill one guy at the stabs, etc.


Note: For some reason the mine on average tends to be the most neglected node. Some games it's the last node to get capped and I've sat in AB guarding the mine and never see a horde all game.

On the surface the mine looks like the least tactically advantaged spot since it's in a valley and easily scouted. Thing is it's also pretty easy to defend.
Standing on top of the Mine you can see a good distance all around and make easy Incoming calls with lots of time to spare.
Plus if you have a ranged attack you can probably defend the flag from the roof.
If I am positioned correctly I can hit the flag with a grenade.
_________________
Dragonzbane
Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:29 am
EotS:
The basic "win strat" is to play the game on their side of the board

Get your side and one of theirs
Pressure the leftover node and start cappping flags
Leave 1 to 2 on D
Call Incoming like in AB
Have a 2 person flag cap rotation so there 's no down time
Assist as necessery


AV:
The horde is pretty crafty in my BG and they adapt pretty well to current strats.
You have to take advantage of groups who aren't paying attention.

Current basic strat:
Phase 1:
Groups 1-6 Rush RH
Groups 7&8 Get Galv
If you die and end up in SP stay there and defend

Phase 2:
Some from Groups 1-6 cap towers working back to TP the others stay in FW
Groups 7&8 cap IBGY and work toward TP

Phase 3:
Start on Drek as soon as there only 2 or 3 WMs left assuming enough people.



Note:
The only time this doesn't work is when too many people decide they don't like the plan and either bitch about it or go do what they want anyway.

The horde have been catching on to this strat and usual have a couple defend Galv, FWGY and RH. If the plan is run correctly they won't have enough to hold back the sheer numbers you throw at them.

If they have more than 10 at RH it's probably a loss because you probably don't have enough people who listen and execute the plan.



For tanking:
I start the match standing about 10-20 yards from the gate off to one side so people can see me when they head to the gate.

As soon as the gate opens and I mount up I say:

"Is there anyone with over 19k HP that wants to tank?
If not I'll do it."


That usually gets several people to target you and once they see how much HP your have you'll usually get a couple to say:
"Yeah, let Dragon tank."
"Dragon's our tank."

and some "Nice gear" whispers.
_________________
Dane
Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:35 am
Nothing of value to contribute, but I've won (not saying *I* had anything to do with it, but the Alliance group I was a part of) most of the EotS BGs I've been in.

I don't have extensive PvP experience, but that's the one I've run the most, trying to build up my 20 marks for the gavel.
_________________
Dragonzbane
Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:50 am
AV with a group:
Here is a completely different take on AV.

Going in with a solid group of 10-15 the best way to win is to play the "stall game". This tactic is all about defense and pissing off the Horde.

Phase 1:
Defend the GY near Belinda and make sure someone stays to hold it
Have 10 Defend Icewing
Send a couple to defend Belinda
Assist as necessery

Phase 2:
After Icewing assaulted take it back with 5 or so
The rest help defend Belinda

Phase 3:
Keep defending Belinda until she dies
Take Stonehearth back after it's assaulted

Phase 4:
Defend SP base and Van

My ideal group of 5 for defense:
Warrior
Hunter
Warlock
Priest
Druid

3 Fears, 2 pets, Traps, Solid DPS and Heals should be able to hold off a decent size group for a while. Toss in a Paladin for extra staying power with a mage and rogue for extra CC and damage.

If things go normally this should buy enough time for your PuGs to win the game if they don't try to turtle.

If the PuGs try to turtle then your squad will have to go on Offense which may or may not work depending on how good they defend and how early you realize it's a turtle.
_________________
Dragonzbane
Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:19 am
Lol, sorry to keep going on and on but...


General advice:

Never underestimate the power of people you don't know to screw up.
I've been in a few games lately where we've been ahead only to loss it halfway through or right at the end.

If you don't here from a node, check the map to see if there's anyone still there. Yes, some people are stupid enough to leave nodes undefended.

If there's people there ask them "how things are going".

If all else fails go there and check up on them but don't leave your node undefended. in the process.

Keep communication going regardless of the situation and regardless of whether you think it will bug people or not.

If people are telling you to shut up then you know they aren't AFK.

Report any AFKers, but whisper them first and make sure they don't reply.
Check back on them in a little bit even if they reply.

Regardless of how bad the situation looks put forth a good effort.
You never know whenthe tide can turn.

When faced with overwhelming odds and no escape charge head first into the group and do one of three things:
- Focus fire on the weakest one, you may end up with a kill
- Tied up as many as you can
- Focus on the one that emotes at you the most

A couple of times lately I've held a bunch at a node and that lead to another node getting capped because they were too busy trying to kill me instead of helping out.
_________________
Dragonzbane
Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:26 am
Tired of seeing me post?

Well, you're in luck.

Lastly, if you feel the need to emote be civil about it.

Don't spit on people and don't laugh at people.
It makes you look like an ass.

That said if someone is a emoting and being an ass, it's open season.
/bored and /golfclap are your friend.

Though the best way to get revenge though is to actually kill them, sure it's hard as a Prot Paladin but sometimes it can be done on occasion.


Sure I sometimes see rogues try to gank me and /flee at them but that's all in fun.

If I get into the middle of a group who are all trying to kill me I may toss out a /rawr but that's all in fun and it may keep them focused on you instead of somewhere else.
_________________
Vaughan
Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:32 pm
There is always the farming for tokens route of losing premades. You usually gain a minimal amount of honor and your 'free' token in less than five minutes. I don't personally condone this method, but it seems to work for some people.
_________________


Vaughan - 70 Blood Elf Paladin - Retired - US Black Dragonflight PvP