Skip to content
Maintankadin

Ret paladins - ehh?

Nicos
Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:50 am
I was tempted to go Ret for the weekend.. until I realized my Two Handed Sword, Mace and Polearm skill are all at 1.

I dont have the patience to make those skill up to 335+
_________________

Mortehl
Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:03 am
Working on the 5v5 has been fun.

Our team:

MS Warrior Sword Spec
Ret Paladin, pure DPS spec (No +holy backup)
BM Huntard
Holy Paladin
Resto Druid

This is an interesting combo because it gives us 2.5 healers and 2.5 dps and quite a bit of short term cc.

After only 2 weeks as a team, we went from 2-8 to 5-5. For anyone that's been part of a successful 5v5 team you'll know that getting to even a neutral record in only 2 weeks is a huge feat.

The power of 2.3 Ret versus clothies is just freaking insane. Our MS warrior charges in and gets MS up on a cloth target while our Druid immediately cyclones one healer and our hunter gets his pet on the other. I get into range of the clothie target and JoC, Autoattack, and CS in one shot = bye bye cloth target. There's almost no way to get around it unless they guess right on which clothie we're going for.

With Ret, here's our current class kill order:

Mage
Shadow Priest
Warlock
Healer Priest
Rogue
Shaman
Huntard
Druid
Warrior
Paladin

The big key since all of our dps is physical is to make abolutely sure that our initial bust of DPS is all on the same target. As soon as the first goes down, either our huntard or I break off and get hard on a healer to distract it depending on positioning while the other sticks with the MS warrior.

Also, we charge right away and pick our target on the fly. With a team like ours, our major advantage is to blitz and make it 4 on 5 as fast as possible.


Summary: Ret is awesome in the arenas now in 2.3 There's zero reason to be a holy bitch anymore unless you like it.
_________________
dern
Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:14 am
Sorry if this is off-topic, I missed you all and wanted to post, its been months Cool

So I specced Ret on some of our Lady Vashj attempts a couple weeks ago (we were hurting for dps players that night, first few attempts i ran as holy). As holy one attempt i was 2nd healing, cleansed the most, and basically held my own and then some, my gear is solid.

As for RetI struggled . . . a lot /lol

So after careful examination, here are some good rules I shoud have followed:

Get Hit Capped (I wasn't)
Upgrade from blue shoulders, chest, belt, writsts (actually adding Doomplate Shoulders would have helped a lot)

Enchant weapon, cloak, bracers, chest, gloves, boots

Add a melee trinket better than Blackhands Breadth


I did beat a mage applicant on one of our attempts, I don't think he'll be making it into the guild. I don't think I would have been that competitive with most of our dps, even with enchanting my gear, but adding a couple percent to crit, a couple hundred AP may have put me closer, one thing I know is, it sure was fun. The other thing I know is, my gear is weak relative to my guildmates.

We've had a ret pally since we started 25 mans, after last patch he is routinely doing the damage of our warriors and usually he outperforms them. I could have been the poster child for why people think ret sucks, but my guild knows I was just trying to help and that I've tanked for them since kara and will continue to do so.

I will enchant my gear tho (another issue on our attempts was I was on elemental duty struggling to find a target)
kalbear
Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:56 am
Even if you can't find that, all the guys that are next to crystals that are called "Servant of asdghasdgads" have the same deal; as long as you don't actually use the crystal when they're at 1% and phased, they'll come back and be unkillable.

The ones I'm thinking of are the servants of razelkith.
Zhalseran
Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:18 pm
I think the point is you can get your point across without being so aggressive

also I would saying adding 2 stuns and a bubble to an arena team is pretty significant
_________________