Skip to content
Maintankadin

World of Warcraft on a Mac...

Eizen
Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:23 am
Heya

Ok so let me give you an honest response.


I have both a mac and pc and I've played on both.

Recently I've been doing it on the mac which is a 17" Intel core2 duo imac with 3gb of ram.

The diffrence between playing wow on a mac vs pc?
None

Hardware wise ~ PC= more FPS


In respects to being hacked, keylogged and such...
That's your fault.

Things happen for a reason and the main reason is user behaviour. You need to change the way your way of interacting with the web and or become mor knowledgable of pc security. Scanning for viruses and cleaning after you get one does NOT fix your PC.

If you have the money to buy an imac, go for it.
Your wow experience wont change and you will inherit an operatin system that is a bit more secure by default. But it's dumb to assume it's impossible for anything to happen to it.

Here are some screenshots of wow on a mac Razz





As a side note I feel like going back to my pc and putting the new ATI vid card 4850 I beleive for more fps and also use my 24" again.
Spectrum
Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:36 am
A huge number of breaches are due to the human element failing. The best locks in the world won't keep intruders out if you leave a window open all the time.

On the performance debate:
The frame-rate will be almost entirely dependent on your hardware. Giant Mac Pros will have better hardware than your average gamer rig, which will have better hardware than your average iMac, thus differences. That said, running windows or OS X on the same Mac doesn't show an appreciable difference. I've done it with bootcamp on my MBP and the difference was <5 FPS, so I couldn't say anything conclusive (could have been differences in # of characters loaded for example).

All that said, on lower-end hardware (back when I had a GeForce4 and 1.2 GHz Athlon) I got about 5-10 FPS more when I played under Linux than under Windows. I haven't run on Windows since (except that boot-camp test), so I can't say what it's like now.
_________________
No really, I'm not addicted.

"The skill-gear curve is steep for small values of skill."

http://armorylite.com/us/Silvermoon/Spectrum
Lieris
Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:53 pm
A year ago there used to be a very noticeable difference between Mac and Windows WoW performance, I compared the two using Boot Camp and I found it difficult going back to my crummy OS X frame rate.

Since then Blizzard have improved the Mac client a lot (something to do with open gl I think) and I can't really tell the difference.
_________________

kingharbromm
Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:42 pm
Hey Everyone!

I'm posting from my brand new iMac! It came in today and I've spent most of the day transferring all of my files and installing software. I have yet to get around to installing World of Warcraft, though. I'm saving the best for last.

So far it's great. I've put over 10 gigs of pictures on the hard drive and tons of iTunes music and it's all organized well. ITunes seems to open faster on the iMac, but I guess that should be expected since it was made by Apple.

I love this keyboard, by the way. I wish there were more keyboards like this one. I feel like my words per minute jumped by like 30 just from this design.

After I got all the files where they're supposed to be, I worked on networking. The Apple gurus showed me what I needed to know in the store so that was easy. I just went into system preferences and enabled file sharing. That was the easy part. It took me a little bit before I could make my Dell laptop find the Apple. I had to go into Network Settings and connect directly to the FTP address of the iMac. It was a little frustrating but now it's set up better than ever! I can't wait to see how easy it will be to network the printer. Honestly, though, I'm considering buying the Apple wireless router thing. It looks like it'll be easy to network the printer with that thing.

The only problem I've encountered so far is my Diablo installation. It said that it couldn't install because the classic environment is no longer supported. I e-mailed Blizzard about and am waiting for their response.

Thanks again to everyone for their help! I'm really glad I switched - I should probably make one of those videos where I talk with my hands. Smile Now that Diablo II is finishing its installation I'm off to install the best game of all time - World of Warcraft. I'll let you know how it's running on my new rig.
Eizen
Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:16 pm
omgz my itunes takes up 50MB of my 3gigs of ram. Laughing

Both systems have their advantages and disavantages.
Pick the one you like and move on.

I like both, I have both Razz