Skip to content
Maintankadin

Whatcha watchin'?

Era
Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:11 am

Re: Whatcha watchin'?

Think this is the "official" order:

9th Eccleston
10th Tennant
11th Smith
*stuff and things*
12th Capaldi

Eccleston is my favourite so far. Tennant did a great job too. Didn't like Smith much, but then again, I didn't like the general direction of the show during his reign either, so wouldn't put the blame on him. Too much wibbly wobbly and whatnot. Enjoying Capaldi's style so far. Nice to see an older gentleman taking the reins again.

Suspect the next one will be a female. Wonder if that means we'll get male companions, or if he'll keep his ... preferences. Will be interesting nonetheless. Hopefully the change won't be too jarring.
Nooska
Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:26 am

Re: Whatcha watchin'?

I liked Ecclestone and Tennant immensely. Wasn't too crazy about Smith in the beginning(espcially since the whole change was sortof jarring, and without any real reason for the regen given), Amy and Rory are picking it up though, but yeah, a bit too timey-wimey/wibbly/wobbly so far here. Got current season left (termed season 7, with the first being the last (only?) one with Ecclestone), and then 1 more season to go; about halfway through S7.

I did enjoy Ecclestone more than Tennant at first, though Tennant brought a whole other array of ... stuff.. to the doctor, thats one thing about Smith, he is more like Ecclestone than Tennant, but honestly, so far, there are a bit too many A**-pulls to keep the doctor alive (meaning 'death' isn't actually any sort of danger when presented)
katraya
Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:19 pm

Re: Whatcha watchin'?

Skye1013 wrote:Was sort of an odd jump at the end of season 1... felt like I had missed something in between a couple of the episodes. Particularly when they "jumped forward" in time (with random flashbacks of what led to that point.) By the end of that episode, I understood most of what was going on, but it was still a bit jarring.


I watched it for the first time on Netflix a while ago and that threw me off too. I had to look it up and that last episode of season one set in the future didn't actually air the first time around. After watching the series I immediately wondered wtf I had waited so long. A few months later I watched Firefly and had the same reaction. ;)

My standard show recommendation is The Fall. It's phenomenal. Plus between Gillian Anderson and Jamie Dornan there's eye candy for everyone!

Currently catching up on Homeland because we have a trial of Showtime on Hulu. I really want to watch Penny Dreadful and the Affair too. The female lead in the latter is from my other favorite show, Luther.
Snake-Aes
Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:58 pm

Re: Whatcha watchin'?

My Poet never saw Ong Bak. THIS MUST BE CORRECTED.
Skye1013
Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:35 pm

Re: Whatcha watchin'?

Sense-8 was pretty good. Their ability to use other's senses/skills was actually more impressive than my initial thoughts would have had me believe when initially reading the synopsis. Glad I gave it a chance.

Running through Psych atm (I'd seen up through about season 6, but rewatching before continuing onward... currently in season 4.)
Torquemada
Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:33 am

Re: Whatcha watchin'?

Era wrote:Think this is the "official" order:

9th Eccleston
10th Tennant
11th Smith
*stuff and things*
12th Capaldi

Eccleston is my favourite so far. Tennant did a great job too. Didn't like Smith much, but then again, I didn't like the general direction of the show during his reign either, so wouldn't put the blame on him. Too much wibbly wobbly and whatnot. Enjoying Capaldi's style so far. Nice to see an older gentleman taking the reins again.

Suspect the next one will be a female. Wonder if that means we'll get male companions, or if he'll keep his ... preferences. Will be interesting nonetheless. Hopefully the change won't be too jarring.


I realize the original show was rather low budget and originally intended for kids, but I thought the reboot starting with Eccleston was far too cheesy. He was alright but the show was not the best. I felt like Tennant was much better, but until towards the end (Moffett's writing) the show and the production value was far too corny. I could agree with some of the stuff you said about Smith's tenure, but the overall production quality was so much higher I was willing to overlook some of it. Plus most if not all of my favorite arcs involve 11.

I'm giving Capaldi himself a chance (I like his Doctor), but I really wasn't a fan of the story for his season so far. The Clara/Danny arc was just really, really annoying (On again, off again, reaaaaaaaaaaally off again, on, GET ON WITH IT). Missy was the best part of the season, while I went from thinking that Clara was too one dimensional before this season to thinking her other dimensions were really shallow and annoying.
Era
Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:33 am

Re: Whatcha watchin'?

Torquemada wrote:I realize the original show was rather low budget and originally intended for kids, but I thought the reboot starting with Eccleston was far too cheesy. He was alright but the show was not the best. I felt like Tennant was much better, but until towards the end (Moffett's writing) the show and the production value was far too corny. I could agree with some of the stuff you said about Smith's tenure, but the overall production quality was so much higher I was willing to overlook some of it. Plus most if not all of my favorite arcs involve 11.

I'm giving Capaldi himself a chance (I like his Doctor), but I really wasn't a fan of the story for his season so far. The Clara/Danny arc was just really, really annoying (On again, off again, reaaaaaaaaaaally off again, on, GET ON WITH IT). Missy was the best part of the season, while I went from thinking that Clara was too one dimensional before this season to thinking her other dimensions were really shallow and annoying.


You make some good points about production quality and other things.

Let me revise my statements a little. In my opinion:

Best Doctor: Eccleston
Best Stories: Tennant
Best Budget: Smith
Best Companion: Rose (or maybe Wilfred Mott <3)

Image
KysenMurrin
Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:29 am

Re: Whatcha watchin'?

I quite liked Eccleston's Doctor. Tenant had the longest run on the character of the modern era, though, so he had more chances to really get it right. The first few seasons of Doctor Who were really good, the stories got a bit spotty late in Tenant's run (the finale of his last season was awful, but kind of made up for by the mini-series of four episodes and a christmas special that followed it), and then most of the major storylines since Moffatt took over showrunning were pretty bad. It's been slightly better with Capaldi, so far...
Nooska
Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:54 am

Re: Whatcha watchin'?

Was Tennant reaææy the one that was on the longest? I feel like Smith was on for longer.

Besides; going by the ending of Smith's run, the order is;
9th Hurt
10th Eccleston
11th Tennant
12th Tennant
13th Smith
*stuff and things and reboot*
14th Capaldi

This of course only becomes apparant in The Day of the Doctor / The Time of the Doctor, and for some reason the War Doctor isn't counted (despite clearly being a regeneration, and the whole point about the limiti on amount of regenerations raised in Time.
KysenMurrin
Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:50 am

Re: Whatcha watchin'?

Tennant did three full seasons, plus the four special episodes that ended his run. Smith was in seasons 5, 6 and 7 (season 7 started later in the year than usual and was split into two parts) and the anniversary special. So it's closer than I realised, but Tennant wins by a couple of episodes.
Torquemada
Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:18 am

Re: Whatcha watchin'?

If you watch the Christmas episode wherein Smith regenerates into Capaldi (And manages to get the Doctor to around 2000 years old, unless he's lying), he mentions having 12 regenerations, so 13 Doctors, and mentions that he is the last Doctor. It's only when the Time Lords engage the plot drive and give him more (Maybe 1, maybe another 12?) that we're able to get through the 13th regeneration and into Capaldi. Your count is correct, Nooska, technically Capaldi is the 14th.

That said, no one outside the show will keep track of it that way, because it would be too much of a pain to keep straight: "Wait, when you mean 12th Doctor do you mean Capaldi because he's the twelfth actor, Smith because of Hurt being the War Doctor, or Tennant because his Doctor was a greedy bastard who wasted a regeneration?" Just using the current system, calling Hurt the War Doctor (Because he didn't get a run/series, and also none of the Doctors considered him one of them until getting inside the Moment... holy crap this is too much Wibbly Wobbly), just calling Tennant the 10th, and moving on with life is probably the best way to keep everyone on the same page.

Also, one other reason that Smith is probably my favorite: OMG the music.
Nooska
Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:13 pm

Re: Whatcha watchin'?

Timey-wimey and wibbly wobbly indeed. (I don't know where he gets that stuff)
Era
Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:10 am

Re: Whatcha watchin'?

Torquemada wrote:Also, one other reason that Smith is probably my favorite: OMG the music.


That's definitely true, some fantastic music during his reign.

Here's another one, beautiful song from one of the Christmas specials

(WARNING: Spoilery for Doctor Who Christmas Special 2012 "A Christmas Carol")

https://youtu.be/Radrh60tAUk
Njall
Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:53 am

Re: Whatcha watchin'?

Finished watching Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. Squee. VERY good stuff. I can see why Gaiman liked it so much. Though the last episode felt rushed - but then it was a bit of a house of cards falling apart.
Arnock
Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:41 pm

Re: Whatcha watchin'?

Just binged through the Netflix Daredevil show. VERY good.

It reminded me a lot of Batman Begins.
Koatanga
Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:58 pm

Re: Whatcha watchin'?

Watching Humans. Very interesting stuff, but not sure if it really knows where it's going. Some great acting in it though.
Klaudandus
Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:10 pm

Re: Whatcha watchin'?

Arnock wrote:Just binged through the Netflix Daredevil show. VERY good.

It reminded me a lot of Batman Begins.


I loved Daredevil.

I also watched True Detective Season 2... not as good as Season 1 =/
Era
Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:53 am

Re: Whatcha watchin'?

Klaudandus wrote:I also watched True Detective Season 2... not as good as Season 1 =/


I agree. Though I haven't watched all of it yet. But it feels very different.
Klaudandus
Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:35 pm

Re: Whatcha watchin'?

Era wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:I also watched True Detective Season 2... not as good as Season 1 =/


I agree. Though I haven't watched all of it yet. But it feels very different.



I felt Season 1 had a sort of element to the occult that is seriously lacking in season 2.
Koatanga
Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:46 am

Re: Whatcha watchin'?

Finished all 8 episodes of Humans. Really enjoyed the series - had some good moments in it including an extremely poignant story arc with William Hurt. Can't wait to see more.
Skye1013
Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:20 pm

Re: Whatcha watchin'?

Started watching iZombie on a plane ride... seems interesting/funny enough that I might have to track it down to watch the rest. Doesn't hurt that it has one of my favorite actors (David Anders)
Era
Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:21 am

Re: Whatcha watchin'?

Started watching Netflix original 'Narcos'. (IMDB: Narcos) Only 10 episodes and one season so far, but it's pretty good. Kind of (but just kind of) reminds me of True Detective and The Wire. Kind of. :roll: Recommend.

EDIT: Finished the first (and so far only) season. Enjoyed it from beginning to end. Some say the first half is better than the last half and they might be right, but isn't that true for most things in life? :roll: It's still good and worth a watch.
Era
Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:38 am

Re: Whatcha watchin'?

Now watching 'Peaky Blinders'. (IMDB: Peaky Blinders). It's about street gangs in 1920's England. Lot's of shady deals, drama and violence - all set in smoky industrial surroundings and coated with delicious accents and dapperly dressed not-so-gentle gentlemen! Recommend.

Image
Snake-Aes
Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:23 am

Re: Whatcha watchin'?

Sons of Anarchy here. It's quite interesting though I can't peg what made me keep watching it. The whole gang thing is cool but isn't enough.

I'm enjoying it. And will probaly use Mr Pope in my Mage game.
Era
Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:01 am

Re: Whatcha watchin'?

I liked SoA too. I stopped after a few seasons though, don't quite remember why.