Skip to content
Maintankadin

SE's Luminous Engine

Aubade
Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:47 pm

Re: SE's Luminous Engine

Oh hey, They finally released that. I had to sign an NDA to see that exact same demo at PAX. Was cool then, still cool now ;) Can't wait to see what they do with it, hopefully in the next console generation.
Fetzie
Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:43 am

Re: SE's Luminous Engine

Aubade wrote:Oh hey, They finally released that. I had to sign an NDA to see that exact same demo at PAX. Was cool then, still cool now ;) Can't wait to see what they do with it, hopefully in the next console generation.


Hopefully in the next PC games generation, I don't see an HD 6670 or 7750 (likely to be the gpu in the next generation consoles) being able to render that in real time. It was also lacking Anti-aliasing in a big way, so isn't quite "there" yet.
aureon
Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:12 am

Re: SE's Luminous Engine

Melathys wrote:Pretty amazing that this isn't a pre-rendered clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVX0OUO ... ture=share

My wife.. "Why isn't this a movie? I want to watch this."


Because they'd trainwreck like Spirits Within, that's why.
Can't we goddamn get some medioeval-with-airships stuff, like FF is meant to be, every now and then? : (
Like, a film on it? Since S-E is the leader in worldwide animation since 2000 or so, goddammit.
culhag
Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:54 pm

Re: SE's Luminous Engine

Aubade wrote:Oh hey, They finally released that. I had to sign an NDA to see that exact same demo at PAX. Was cool then, still cool now ;) Can't wait to see what they do with it, hopefully in the next console generation.

I'd already seen it online months ago, maybe just cam footage shot at an event, but that was definitely not new to me. I don't know why they made you sign an NDA for something that was already in the wild.

On topic, this is really impressive, though I'm curious to see how it looks in a real game.

Melathys wrote:My wife.. "Why isn't this a movie? I want to watch this."

Every time there's a good cinematic trailer for a game (like the trailers for The Old Republic, or for DC online), there's people saying "This is better than the movies at the cinema, why don't they make a feature film like that ?" but it's very naive to say that. What makes a 3 minutes short film good isn't the same that's required to make a good feature film. At best it would make one good action sequence. The stories are usually minimal in these game trailers, and it would take a very good writer to expand them to feature length.
Nooska
Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:43 am

Re: SE's Luminous Engine

On the other hand,. most games are a lot more storydriven than feature films which have a very set formula (I learned about it almost 10 years ago when I attended a film school for a semester, designed to show us a little of everything and get our hands dirty). Something like the story of ME, KOTOR, NWN etc would make for a good storydriven film (take out all but a few of the side missions) - or a live action (though high budget) series with a little work on the main storyline every second episode and a side mission every other.
Granted KOTOR and ME are more suited to this than fantasy genre games as SciFi has a larger mainstream audience attraction (unless of course you do it like they did LOTR).
Arnock
Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:45 am

Re: SE's Luminous Engine

Well, they did expand on what happened in a few of the Swtor trailers in a few books. They managed to be decent.