Skip to content
Maintankadin

Hurricane Sandy

Sabindeus
Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:52 pm

Hurricane Sandy

blows real hard
Nikachelle
Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:10 pm

Re: Hurricane Sandy

How bad is it in NYC?

It's seriously windy here and my workplace is in full "batten down the hatches" mode. (Although really... we just took our computers home to work in case we can't get in to the office tomorrow.)
KysenMurrin
Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:29 pm

Re: Hurricane Sandy

It's been virtually the only subject on Twitter all day. I hear it's very close to hitting land in New Jersey now.

It's also sunk the replica of HMS Bounty - two crew members still unaccounted for.
Sabindeus
Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:33 pm

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Nikachelle wrote:How bad is it in NYC?

It's seriously windy here and my workplace is in full "batten down the hatches" mode. (Although really... we just took our computers home to work in case we can't get in to the office tomorrow.)


NYC is completely shut down. MTA, tunnels, etc. The wind is crazy, trees are falling down left and right. My neighborhood is close to flooding. I of course am not there since they issued an evacuation order for Zone A - which refers to anything low elevation/close enough to water to be flooded by a Cat 1 hurricane.
Nikachelle
Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:53 pm

Re: Hurricane Sandy

I just spoke to D (the friend you met who live in New York) and she says it's pretty calm in her area so far. She's mid-Brooklyn region though and not one of the coastal areas. Where are you staying in the meantime?
Sabindeus
Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:18 pm

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Nikachelle wrote:I just spoke to D (the friend you met who live in New York) and she says it's pretty calm in her area so far. She's mid-Brooklyn region though and not one of the coastal areas. Where are you staying in the meantime?


my parents' place.

If she's shielded from the wind by buildings then I can imagine it might seem calm, but it's not. It's terrible out there.
Arnock
Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:28 pm

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Category 1? Psh, stop whining.










I kid, I kid. The storm itself is pretty big, so the storm surge should be larger than usual, are there a lot of issues with flooding?
Levantine
Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: Hurricane Sandy

I thought exactly the same but then the news told me that in 'Murrica a catagory 1 hurricane is equivalent to a strong catagory 3 cyclone down here. Also New York is big. Also also that shit is really far north to be getting that kind of storm, let alone one so... large.

Stay safe everyone. /hug
Aubade
Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Hurricane Sandy

From what I'm hearing on the news over here on the west coast. You guys are all gonna die and new york is going to be underwater by the end of the week.

Everything by this guy is pretty ridiculous but funny.

https://twitter.com/AFrankenStorm
Aubade
Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Also;

Image

Sharks in Jersey
Image


"What does Snooki and Hurricane #Sandy have in common? They will blow the entire East Coast to get on tv."
Arnock
Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: Hurricane Sandy

In the northern parts of the US, buildings and infrastructure aren't really designed to stand up to hurricanes. Power lines are weaker, storm drains don't have as much capacity, buildings tend to be more wood than concrete/CBS. They do get hit occasionally, but the gulf stream usually carries the storms away.

I live in south Florida, and a category 1 storm down here isn't really anything to get upset over, most people don't even lose power. Heck, most businesses/schools won't even close for a tropical storm.

I work for a power utility down here, and we didn't even go into 'storm mode' when sandy brushed our coast. The most outages I remember seeing at one point was ~35k, and those were taken care of before the end of the day. I think we're even sending some of our linemen up north to help out with restoration.
bldavis
Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:28 pm

Re: Hurricane Sandy

that joke...that was teriaubade...i approve!
Sabindeus
Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:03 pm

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Well, MY shit is flooded.

http://ow.ly/i/14x8N

(Note: I am not there, this is some other jackass ignoring the evacuation order and snapping photos and putting them on Twitter for me to follow and gnash my teeth over.)
Sabindeus
Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Aubade wrote:From what I'm hearing on the news over here on the west coast. You guys are all gonna die and new york is going to be underwater by the end of the week.


that's what we're hearing on the news too.... aaaaaand so far evidence points to that being true. We'll see what happens at high tide tonight. :(
Nikachelle
Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Sabindeus wrote:Well, MY shit is flooded.

http://ow.ly/i/14x8N

(Note: I am not there, this is some other jackass ignoring the evacuation order and snapping photos and putting them on Twitter for me to follow and gnash my teeth over.)

What floor do you live on? :s
Brekkie
Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:49 pm

Re: Hurricane Sandy

It's like a Global Warming preview!
Sabindeus
Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:53 pm

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Nikachelle wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Well, MY shit is flooded.

http://ow.ly/i/14x8N

(Note: I am not there, this is some other jackass ignoring the evacuation order and snapping photos and putting them on Twitter for me to follow and gnash my teeth over.)

What floor do you live on? :s


2nd

this is my neighborhood right now: http://twitter.com/HuffingtonPost/statu ... to/1/large
Skye1013
Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:13 pm

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Image
That's some Independence Day shit right there...
Nooska
Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:08 am

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Sabindeus wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Well, MY shit is flooded.

http://ow.ly/i/14x8N

(Note: I am not there, this is some other jackass ignoring the evacuation order and snapping photos and putting them on Twitter for me to follow and gnash my teeth over.)

What floor do you live on? :s


2nd

this is my neighborhood right now: http://twitter.com/HuffingtonPost/statu ... to/1/large


Well on the upside there is still power.

though remind me, do you murricans call the floor at ground level the ground floor, the lobby or the first floor? (I can't remember who does what right now)
KysenMurrin
Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:25 am

Re: Hurricane Sandy

This CCTV pic of a Hoboken PATH station has been making the rounds lately:

Image
bldavis
Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:01 am

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Nooska wrote:Well on the upside there is still power.

though remind me, do you murricans call the floor at ground level the ground floor, the lobby or the first floor? (I can't remember who does what right now)

lobby = entry way, other than that everything else is typically interchangeable
Nikachelle
Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:07 am

Re: Hurricane Sandy

Sabindeus wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Well, MY shit is flooded.

http://ow.ly/i/14x8N

(Note: I am not there, this is some other jackass ignoring the evacuation order and snapping photos and putting them on Twitter for me to follow and gnash my teeth over.)

What floor do you live on? :s


2nd

this is my neighborhood right now: http://twitter.com/HuffingtonPost/statu ... to/1/large

That's terrifying. The upside, however, is that it's still a long way from getting to the second floor. I hope the water recedes quickly.