Skip to content
Maintankadin

Drinking with Maintankadin!

Fivelives
Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:23 am

Drinking with Maintankadin!

Post your favorite mixological concoction here.

8-10 mint leaves
1 sprig of mint with a long stem (strip all but the last 2-3 leaves off the stem)
1 Key lime, quartered
2.5oz (1 jigger + 1 pony) white rum - Bacardi Silver, by personal preference*
2.5oz (1 jigger + 1 pony) simple syrup**
Seltzer or soda water - high quality sparkling mineral water will do, if you prefer
1 tbsp raw sugar (not white sugar or brown sugar - looking for raw sugar. Don't substitute this!)
Crushed ice

Directions:
Rub one of the lime quarters around the lip of a collins or highball glass, then rim it with the sugar.
Combine the simple syrup with the mint leaves in the glass and muddle until the mint is thoroughly bruised and you can smell it pretty strongly.
Add two fingers of crushed ice and 2 of the key lime quarters and muddle until the lime is thoroughly pulped and the skin has released a good amount of its essential oils.
Fill the glass with crushed ice, then pour in the rum and top the glass off (leaving a fingerwidth at the top, spillage is a party foul!) with seltzer.
Stir thoroughly, until the sides of the glass get frosty.
Garnish with the reserved mint sprig and lime quarter, then relax and enjoy responsibly!

* On a cooler day, substitute a light rum for the white rum - I prefer 10 Cane Rum when I can find it, although any unspiced rum will do. Avoid flavored or spiced rums like Captain Morgan's and Malibu.

** Simple syrup is easy to make. Combine equal parts by volume sugar and water, bring to a boil and reduce until the concoction is thick. Keep an eye on it though, as it can and will burn, which you definitely don't want happening. For best results with this recipe, use raw sugar instead of white sugar. You can also substitute agave nectar here, but I'm a mojito purist and that would be sacrilege! Most grocery stores sell simple syrup in their liquor aisles, but it's really cheaper to make your own.
Aubade
Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:39 pm

Re: Drinking with Maintankadin!

1 glass
Any type of rum/whiskey.
Diet coke


Pour 3 parts Rum/Whiskey into glass
Pour 1 part Diet Coke into glass.
Add ice.

Drink
Thalia
Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:44 pm

Re: Drinking with Maintankadin!

I love cosmos and white Russians but Aergis is my bartender, he sweetly makes me my drinks a couple of nights a week, will bug him to post the recipes.
Levantine
Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: Drinking with Maintankadin!

Aubade wrote:1 glass
Any type of rum/whiskey.
Diet coke


Pour 3 parts Rum/Whiskey into glass
Pour 1 part Diet Coke into glass.
Add ice.

Drink


A man after my own heart.
Skye1013
Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:40 pm

Re: Drinking with Maintankadin!

I had an idea the other night that I want to try out (I'm sure this may already qualify as an actual drink, but I hadn't thought about it until then.)

Basically... take Aubade's drink and add Grenadine (or another fruit flavor.)

I'm thinking I might try this with a Crown and Dr Pepper some time...
Torquemada
Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:48 pm

Re: Drinking with Maintankadin!

Three Mile Long Island

1 shot Vodka
1 shot Tequila
2 shots Bacardi 151
1 shot Triple sec
1 shot Gin
1 shot Midori
Top off with Pineapple Juice and a splash of Sprite.

Used to drink this back at the bar I used to frequent. Told the bartender to go crazy, he did. Made him make it from then on. Never had to worry about dates trying to steal more than 1 sip. The Midori and the juice turn it a radioactive green color.

Back when we used to order shots for each other to try to mess each other up, I'd order a round of Jagger and milk for everyone. I got the idea from some episode of Behind the Music. Think it was Metallica.

Nowadays I mostly deal with Captain Morgan and Pepsi.
Skye1013
Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:53 pm

Re: Drinking with Maintankadin!

Torquemada wrote: I'd order a round of Jagger and milk for everyone.

Isn't this similar to a Jagerbomb? Or is that considerably different from an Irish Car Bomb? (shot of Bailey's Irish Creme, drop into pint of Guiness, chug before it curdles.)
Nikachelle
Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:57 pm

Re: Drinking with Maintankadin!

This is incredibly sugary, but this bar in the gay village that unfortunately has gone defunct made the best damn cocktails. We got the recipe out of them before they went bankrupt.

Bitchslap
1 shot Raspberry Sourpuss (I think Sourpuss is called something like "pucker" in the States)
1 shot Apple Sourpuss
1 shot Melon liqueur
a splash of cranberry juice
...and three gummy bears

Tastes amazing. But if you're having more than two of these, expect your tongue to feel like it's covered in fuzz from all the sugar. And uh... just so you're forewarned... this nets about 600/700 calories a drink.
Fridmarr
Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:51 pm

Re: Drinking with Maintankadin!

I'm a simpleton and especially in the summer it's hard to beat a refreshing Gin and Tonic:
Glass of Ice
Bombay Sapphire (or other decent gin)
Quality Tonic (Qtonic, John's Tonic, etc)
One good squeeze of a lime

Ratios really vary by taste but it's probably safe to start with 1:3 and adjust from that.
Thalia
Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:57 pm

Re: Drinking with Maintankadin!

This is the mexican cocktail of choice at my family gathering:

Get some Bomb ass tequila, a lot of it!!!

Get a Red Cup, yest the ones you play beer pong with.

Pour some salt on a flat plate

Cut up some limes

Rim the Red Cup with the lime

Turn the Red Cup Over on the salt and coat the rim with Salt (I like the bigger sea salt chunky salt for this)

Now Fill half the cup (if you really want it hardcore) with tequila , the other Half with Lime Squirt

To your liking squeeze lime into your drink and a pinch of salt (or more if you wish), mix and enjoy
Skye1013
Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:15 am

Re: Drinking with Maintankadin!

That sounds dangerously close to a Margarita (which I absolutely LOVE in a frozen capacity.)
Passionario
Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:14 am

Re: Drinking with Maintankadin!

Aubade wrote:Pour 3 parts Rum/Whiskey into glass
Pour 1 part Diet Coke into glass.
Add ice.


Reminds me of "The Idiot" recipe:

50% Hennessy Timeless
50% Coca-Cola
Gracerath
Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:57 am

Re: Drinking with Maintankadin!

I recently discovered the Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey whiskey. It is pretty fantastic. Some say it is too sweet at room temp so putting it in the freezer for a while dulls that a bit. I found I liked it at room temp more.

My favorite mixed drink is Jamesons whiskey in either ginger ale or cream soda. 1-3 shots per can/drink depending on my mood.
bldavis
Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:33 am

Re: Drinking with Maintankadin!

Gracerath wrote:I recently discovered the Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey whiskey. It is pretty fantastic. Some say it is too sweet at room temp so putting it in the freezer for a while dulls that a bit. I found I liked it at room temp more.

My favorite mixed drink is Jamesons whiskey in either ginger ale or cream soda. 1-3 shots per can/drink depending on my mood.

hmmm that sounds good
Shoju
Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:14 pm

Re: Drinking with Maintankadin!

When I'm drinking
1 bottle spiced rum
1 2 liter of Dr Pepper
1 bag of ice.

Enjoy.

When I'm drinking, and don't feel like drinking Dr. Pepper
1 bottle of "black rum"
1 bottle of Diet MT. Dew (the diet is key. regular mt dew makes it soo sugary, sweet, and thick.)
1 bag of ice

Enjoy

When I'm looking to drink while playing cards, and doing my best to be a "poker player"
1 bottle of american honey
copious trays of ice

Enjoy

When I'm drinking in this sweltering hell of a summer drought
captain morgan private stock rum (2 shots)
Pineapple juice
frozen fruit
some ice may be needed)

blend until thick. Drink on a hot day

Enjoy a nice, not girly looking frozen beverage.

My wife when Drinking
1 bottle of either

Cutty Sark
Glenlivet
Tanqueray Sterling Vodka

Ice

Enjoy
Shyrtandros
Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:24 pm

Re: Drinking with Maintankadin!

Buttery Nipple

1 part Butterscotch snapps
1 part Irish Cream

Traditionally its a shooter that is served layered.

I prefer mine chilled and mixed.
AergisAergis's avatar
Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:32 pm

Re: Drinking with Maintankadin!

I've always been a fan of

2 parts Macallan 18
1 glass
Invisusira
Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:48 pm

Re: Drinking with Maintankadin!

RAINBOW KITTEN EXPRESS
1) pour some Hpnotiq in a glass
2) water it down with some Grey Goose
3) add a drop of Melon liquor too if you got it hey why not
AergisAergis's avatar
Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:59 pm

Re: Drinking with Maintankadin!

Or occasionally at parties

1 part tequila
1 part tequila
1 part tequila
1 part tequila
1 part tequila
1 part tequila
1 part tequila

win friendly poker tournament

1 part tequila
1 part tequila

fall off a horse

1 part tequila
1 part tequila
1 part tequila


I don't remember the rest
Fivelives
Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:21 pm

Re: Drinking with Maintankadin!

LOL.

Irish carbombs are 1/2 shot irish whiskey and 1/2 shot irish creme liqeur in a shotglass, depth charged into half a pint of guinness. The whiskey is what makes the taste so weirdly like Dr Pepper.

You could pay $6 for a bottle of grenadine, or you could pay $1.29 for a 20oz bottle of cherry coke/pepsi to mix with. Same effect, just ridiculously cheaper, unless you use a lot of grenadine for whatever.
Gracerath
Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:04 am

Re: Drinking with Maintankadin!

I thought Jager bombs were a shot of jager dropped into an energy drink. A few years ago when we'd have role playing days, we'd all get pretty fucking lit from jager and monster energy drink. Holy crap that was an interesting drunk.
Skye1013
Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:18 am

Re: Drinking with Maintankadin!

Fivelives wrote:LOL.

Irish carbombs are 1/2 shot irish whiskey and 1/2 shot irish creme liqeur in a shotglass, depth charged into half a pint of guinness. The whiskey is what makes the taste so weirdly like Dr Pepper.

You could pay $6 for a bottle of grenadine, or you could pay $1.29 for a 20oz bottle of cherry coke/pepsi to mix with. Same effect, just ridiculously cheaper, unless you use a lot of grenadine for whatever.

I'm referring to when I'm at a bar which is unlikely to have any sort of cherry soda, but IS likely to have grenadine. At home, I'd just use the juice leftover from my jars of maraschino cherries.
Heil
Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:51 am

Re: Drinking with Maintankadin!

I've always been a big fan of the PBR Express

Locate can of Pabst Blue Ribbon in fridge (or other place of storage)
Crack that guy open
Consume before getting warm (or wait till warm to consume)
Repeat as necissary

I have also been a big fan of the Russian Holiday this summer

Tumbler with 4 ice tray sized ice cubes
3 parts vodka
1 part pineapple juice
Garnish with Marciano cherry

GET WASTED ON THE BEACH COMRADE!
katraya
Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:55 pm

Re: Drinking with Maintankadin!

I'd kill for a mint julep right about now.

My usual go to drink around the house is:

1 12oz can lime seltzer
1.5 oz gin or vodka
1 lime wedge
splash of cranberry if I have it

and repeat
Gab
Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:42 am

Re: Drinking with Maintankadin!

I'm getting boring in my old age. I prefer Jameson neat.

Although on occasion I'll induldge with a Chocolate Cake.

Equal parts Frangelico and preferred Vanilla Vodka. Pour and stir in a shot glass rimmed with sugar with a lemon waiting. Lick the rim take the shot and finish with a bite of the lemon. Tastes just like... Chocolate cake it's amazing.