Skip to content
Maintankadin

Wild America

Melathys
Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:49 pm

Wild America

The wife and I were talking about things we had growing up that every kid should have growing up. I was thinking about this conversation when I saw a box set of the entire series of Marty Stouffer's Wild America at Costco.

I then got thinking... Marty Stouffer might be the only narrator of wildlife videos that might rival, or even exceed, David Attenborough. In either case, Marty Stouffer holds a special place in my heart after growing up with his shows.

Then again, does it count as the same thing? I don't recall ever seeing Attenborough appear in any of the shows he narrates.

*edit

Lemme add this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHJAezK5iCY (love lynx vs cougar)
Dorvan
Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:34 pm

Re: Wild America

Although I enjoyed watching nature documentaries growing up, I cannot name a single narrator of such documentaries short of knowing the Morgan Freeman narrated March of the Penguins, much less compare two of them. TBH, they all sounded more or less the same to me as far as I can dimly recall.
bldavis
Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:03 pm

Re: Wild America

i only remember marty stouffer

that and the movie doesnt help :D
Arjuna
Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:28 am

Re: Wild America

A wild America appears!
Ironshield
Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:05 am

Re: Wild America

Alas I don't know who Marty Stoufer is (To the Google!), but any nature documentary that DOESN'T feature David Attenborough just sounds wrong to me. My brother (now a botany professor) had 12 VCR tapes of an Attenborough series with the tabs broken off that got watched in my house on a fairly regular basis. Which is the same reason that my mother professes to hating the great man with a passion.

He recently did a series of 5 minute slots on the radio here in the UK where he reminisced about memorable events in his life. And on more than one occasion I sat outside my house in my car for a few minutes listening to the end before going in. Who needs HD ... or colour... or TV... he's STILL captivating!
Skye1013
Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:22 am

Re: Wild America

I watched cartoons... usually cartoon animals. If I watched any sort of nature documentary outside of a science class, I certainly don't remember it.
Melathys
Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:37 am

Re: Wild America

on a similar note, I was listening to an interview of Patrick Stewart on NPR. Is it gay to say I love his voice?
Skye1013
Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:39 am

Re: Wild America

I don't feel I'm qualified to answer that, seeing as I am gay... so, maybe?
Euphoria
Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:22 am

Re: Wild America

Melathys wrote:on a similar note, I was listening to an interview of Patrick Stewart on NPR. Is it gay to say I love his voice?


As a straight male I can confirm that your feelings toward the voice of Patrick Stewart are something that is completely normal. I personally prefer the voice of Morgan Freeman but I can't fault your choice in the least.
bldavis
Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:53 pm

Re: Wild America

patrick stewart, JEJ, morgan freeman...all good

sean connery is my personal fave though