Skip to content
Maintankadin

Toy Story 3 - 2d or 3d?

Drexanna
Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:46 pm

Toy Story 3 - 2d or 3d?

Ok, so it has been out for ages, but I am finally going to see Toy Story 3 (birthday treat).

So, should I go and see it in 3d or 2d? I haven't seen any recent 3d stuff at all (last 3d thing I saw was in Disney World), so I don't know how things have improved.

Things to bear in mind - my wife wears glasses, so I don't want her being too uncomfortable. The question is whether it gains much from being 3d?

Any advice gratefully appreciated, I am going to see it on Saturday.
mew
Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:49 pm

Re: Toy Story 3 - 2d or 3d?

I say go for the 3D. You won't know if you enjoy it until you actually try it. If you were to see any movie in 3D it would be the CGI animated ones.

The glasses are big enough that they can just fit over regular glasses so they aren't too uncomfortable.
Lightbeard
Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:51 pm

Re: Toy Story 3 - 2d or 3d?

2D don't feed into this 3D bullshit
Thalia
Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:13 pm

Re: Toy Story 3 - 2d or 3d?

Personally I can't watch 3d. My eyes hurt and the glasses hurt my bridge and ears...I hate 3-d, but I think I'm the minority on the physical sensitivities of it...so whatever floats your boat.
Flex
Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:20 pm

Re: Toy Story 3 - 2d or 3d?

How to decide to see a movie in 3D:

Was it filmed in 3D or converted in post-processing?

If it is filmed in 3D that means it'll actually be designed to look good in 3D and may be worth the extra cost.

For example Resident Evil: Afterlife used the same technology as Avatar for filming in 3D so may actually be a good movie to view in 3D.
Invisusira
Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: Toy Story 3 - 2d or 3d?

Lightbeard wrote:2D don't feed into this 3D bullshit

^ This. I thought Avatar was amazingly immersive, but almost every single 3D movie uses it as a gimmick. And now it's like the movie industry is going through puberty and everyone has to try it. I can't wait them to grow out of it and to be able to see good movies without the 3d bs hype again.
Jackstraw
Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: Toy Story 3 - 2d or 3d?

Saw the 3d toy story, nothing exciting or impressive at all to add to the movie compared to the few other 3d's i've seen. You could barely tell there was any extra depth to the movie. Don't waste your cash
Pallywhackr
Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:22 pm

Re: Toy Story 3 - 2d or 3d?

Avatar and How to Train Your Dragon are the only movies I've seen recently in which I felt the extra cash was worth it.
Fivelives
Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:46 pm

Re: Toy Story 3 - 2d or 3d?

I'm torn between supporting the move to 3d, and avoiding movies where 3d is just a gimmick. On the one hand, when 3d is just a gimmick it's not worth the extra cost, but on the other hand, when done well (see Avatar) 3d is absolutely amazing.
tullock
Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:45 am

Re: Toy Story 3 - 2d or 3d?

I saw it in 3d, wasnt worth it imo, avatar was, how to train your dragon was, but toy story just didnt do anything for me in 3d.


But,speaking of 3d, piranha 3d anybody? That looks like its gonna be so bad it will be fun.
Giggitygoo
Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:03 am

Re: Toy Story 3 - 2d or 3d?

Aye, saw shrek last week in 3d. Was rubbish. Total waste.

Avater and how to train your dragon were fantastic though. 3d was very good in those.

Most people here who have seen toy story say its not worth it so I wouldnt bother.

I'm going to see toy story myself tonight (in 2d now!)
Arjuna
Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:00 am

Re: Toy Story 3 - 2d or 3d?

haven't seen a single 3d-movie since I have nobody to go to the movies with... :(
katraya
Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:01 am

Re: Toy Story 3 - 2d or 3d?

3-D Kicks Ass Editorial

I love Ben Hoffman. And everything on Infomania. Maybe everything on Current...
andx
Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:31 am

Re: Toy Story 3 - 2d or 3d?

Here's the thing, most things that were shot in non-stereo will be bad/awkward/look "off" in 3d. Things that are CG or shot in Stereo will look good in 3d. Pixar has a stereo camera rig for their rendering engine Renderman that is pretty impressive. IMO It was better in 3d than 2d but it doesn't matter because its a pixar movie/story and it will be great anyway. So if you want to try a 3d movie this would be a good place to start, if not you'll still enjoy the movie a lot.

Andy
Invisusira
Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:36 am

Re: Toy Story 3 - 2d or 3d?

katraya wrote:3-D Kicks Ass Editorial

I love Ben Hoffman. And everything on Infomania. Maybe everything on Current...

lol. "Now I don't have to watch movies with poor people!"
Lieris
Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:29 pm

Re: Toy Story 3 - 2d or 3d?

I saw Toy Story 3 in 3D and I loved it. 3D makes it worth going to the cinema again beyond just the social experience. For a couple of years cinema just left me thinking "eh, this would have looked better on blu-ray and cost me less too" (I have a rental subscription).