Invisusira wrote:And no offense to you, but I'm pretty sure he's looking for a new car. Yeah, it's fun to fix up a car and mod it out, especially old ones. (Talking from experience.) But it's also nice to just have a CAR. Not having to worry about "oh you gotta fiddle this to get this to work" or "you have to close this this certain way" or "I wish my car wasn't 40 years old and the AC worked."
So
Much
THIS.
I've got a 68 Mustang fastback, and a 78 Jaguar XK-R. I'm restoring a 63 Shelby Cobra and I'm thinking about getting a 73 Charger as my next restoration project.
But they all take more time than I've got to keep running. They're also LOADED with "personality".
The Mustang - hood sticks, have to start it a half hour before driving it if I want to take it for a spin in the winter, doesn't have a/c and I have to run the heater if I don't want the engine to overheat in the Arizona summer.
The Jag - yeah. Good luck keeping this beast running. There's a reason it got a reputation for being a mechanic's car. I just don't have the time to keep it going, so it's parked.
The Cobra is where all of my "Yo dawg, I herd you like cars" fund is going, currently.
Oh - and yes, I will probably be racing whatever car I get. That just isn't my main goal in buying the new car. All four of the options would make great touring cars (even if some are more comfortable for long-distance driving than the others).
Also:
Anywho, to debate this with the legendary contrarian Invis, all of my $45,000 upgrade kit wouldn't be on the engine. You have to buy other things like brakes, good gripping tires, ect. If an 800 hp NASCAR can hug corners at Watkins Glen, then I'm sure that a beefed up GTO could do the same.
Edit: Finally got new tabs to load. Pesky virus.
Nascars weigh 3400 pounds to race. I imagine the banked turns would have some effect there. I've driven a beefed up GTO, and compared to the rx-7 or another light tuner car, it handles like a dying whale.