Man, this thread's been dead all year. Let's change that. This past weekend was Thanksgiving in the US. With Christmas coming up soon, I thought it might be nice to recap Thanksgiving meals and maybe get some ideas for what to do for Christmas.
A few years ago my folks retired to Henderson, Nevada (just outside Las Vegas). We've been doing Thanksgiving there ever since; they're centrally located to all the siblings (my sisters are in the Bay Area, I'm in Phoenix). My younger sister got married last year, so now we are eleven.
The first year we had Thanksgiving at the new pad -- four years ago -- we had to get creative using my mother's pantry. We're Chinese (mother is an immigrant; sibs are all 1st gen), so her kitchen was stocked with a bunch of Asian staples. Not so much with the traditional American cooking. Trying to MacGuyver a horseradish cream sauce for the Brussels sprouts using
wasabi powder worked about as well as you might expect.
Ever since then I've brought my own cooking gear and sourced most of the actual food; proteins especially.
This year's dinner, which I was actually quite pleased with:
TurkeyTwo turkey breasts. The night before I rubbed with seasonings (under and over skin), loosely tented with foil, and left in fridge. One using a basic 411 rub (4 parts salt:1 part pepper:1 part garlic powder + 1/2 part onion powder + cayanne to taste (usually ~1/16th part)). The other using a bird rub (it's the 2nd bottle from the right in this photo):

(I have half a dozen different spice rubs I use for various things; I make them in batches and store them like this in my pantry. If you do this, try not to make more than you'll use in three months -- ground pepper loses its efficacy quickly).
In past years I've used
Alton Brown's Turkey Brine. I recently read
this article on Serious Eats about brining and opted to go this way this year. tl;dr: just rub with a fair amount of salt the night before.
Took the turkey out of the fridge two hours before cooking to give it some time to warm up, but not so long as to be dangerous. Rubbed with melted butter (over and under the skin).
425 degree oven for 30 minutes, then 325 until the meat hits 160. Let rest for minimum 30 minutes before carving. Remove the entire breast from the bone then cut perpendicular to the grain. The resting will keep the juices inside the turkey while cutting against the grain will make the meat fibers shorter, so the turkey will feel very tender.
Sous Vide Flat Iron SteaksI made a pair of flat iron steaks. One seasoned with Magic Dust (middle spice container), one with the 411. Sous vide at 127 degrees for 30 hours. Thrown into smoking hot pan for thirty seconds a side (dry it off before you put it in the pan so it doesn't spend any time steaming).
Sous vide is a really easy cooking method and it's simple to get great results. Great cooking often boils down to technique, and sous vide is about as braindead simple as it comes.
4-Rib Standing Rib RoastCrosshatched the fat cap in a diamond pattern. Seasoned very, very generously with the 411, tented with foil and fridge overnight. I like to cut it free from the bone so I can also season the bottom; you can let it sit on the bones, or tie it back on with butcher's twine.
Took out of the fridge at 8am to warm up for a couple hours. 200 degree oven until the middle hits 120. Yank from oven; cranked broiler to high (could have turned oven to max). Let the roast rest for half an hour while the oven heated up; stuck it in until the fat cap crisped. Carry-over heat took it up to 128, which is medium rare.
Let it rest for an hour before carving. A slab of meat this large really could have used some more time tbqh. Next time I'm just going to aim to have the roast done three hours ahead of time.
Cranberry SauceI made two different kinds.
- 1 package cranberries, 2 cups Vernor's Ginger Ale (I grew up in Michigan, okay), 2/3 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup orange marmalade, juice of 1 orange, zest from same, pinch of salt. Buzz with blender stick to desired consistency after the cranberries pop.
- 1 package cranberries, 1 can Sprite Zero Cranberry, 1/2 cup Splenda, 1/2 cup orange marmalade, pinch of salt. Mash cranberries against side of pot with fork when they burst.
The second sauce was closer to a jam in consistency than the other smooth sauce. It was also a lot more popular, despite being low carb (the marmalade I have is low carb).
Horseradish Cream Brussels SproutsThis dish has become a tradition after the comedy horribleness of the Wasabi Incident.
Halve Brussels Sprouts. Put on foil-lined sheet pan, toss with oil, salt, pepper. Roast at 425 until nearly done.
Cream sauce: Dice bacon; render down to desired crispiness. Set bacon grease aside. Add cup heavy cream, pinch salt, pepper to taste. Reduce slightly. Toss with sprouts.
Pan Fried Red PotatoesRed potatoes work better than Idahos for this because of their more-waxy texture. Idahos are also good, but if you use them, add a pinch of baking soda along with the spices.
Diced potatoes, put in nonstick skillet over medium-high head along with a healthy amount of butter (and bacon grease from above!) and the "creole" seasoning (first on left). Add cup of water. Cover. Let the water boil off. When the water's gone, check texture -- if they're a little underdone, add more water and re-cover. If they're fork tender, crank heat to high and pan fry to desired crispiness (toss so it doesn't burn; just be careful).
Garlic Parmesan Mashed CauliflowerI usually make a Garlic Parm mashed potato, but with the Skillet Potatoes this seemed unnecessary. There's a keto-friendly mashed cauliflower my family's been eating for a while which my wife thinks is better than my potatoes, so we opted to make that instead.
1 cauliflower, rough chopped into inch-sized bits. 1 tablespoon cream cheese, 1/2 cup grated parmesan, 1 tblsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp pepper, 4 tablespoons butter, 1 tsp salt.
Steam the crap out of the cauliflower. If you want to be really adventurous, oven-roast half of it until it's really tender (I'd wait until you were really comfortable with the recipe before trying this). Once the cauliflower is really, really tender, dry it off, return to the pot, and mix everything together, using a potato masher to mash the cauliflower as well. I usually cook off any excess water in the pot I just steamed it in over high heat; sometimes it'll crisp a bit, which just makes it taste better imo. Add more parmesan to taste.
Butter Poached MushroomsIn the morning I threw a package of Baby Bella Mushrooms (quartered), two sticks of butter, 411 spice, and some tarragon in a crock pot and forgot about them until serving dinner. It would have benefitted from a hit of white wine towards the end.
GravySet aside the turkey drippings and skim off the fat. I ended up with a quarter cup of fat from my turkey breasts. Mix in an equal part of flour over medium-high heat. Whisk until smooth and let cook a bit. The longer you let the roux (1:1 fat:flour) cook, the darker it'll get. I personally don't like to let it get too dark for turkey, but don't want it honey-blonde either. Slowly whisk in two cups of turkey stock (if you've made some from the turkey neck), or chicken stock. Pepper to taste; salt if you need it (be careful as stock and drippings are usually pretty salty). I also added in several tablespoons of those butter poached mushrooms. If the gravy's still too thick add more stock; you'll want it to be slightly thinner than you want it to be on the table: it will start to thicken up as soon as you take it off heat.
My drippings were pre-seasoned from the rubs and spices and stuff that fell into the roasting pan; you may want to add some more seasonings, but I don't like gravy that's so assertive that it takes away from the meat.
Bacon and Blue Cheese Wilted Spinach SaladChop bacon, render down. While that's going on mix spinach, blue cheese, sliced red onion, and olive oil/balsamic vinegar dressing (we do a quick and dirty 1:1 in a bottle and shake to combine). Remove all but a couple tblsp of the bacon grease, then drizzle salad with bacon and bacon grease; toss to combine.
Pao de QuejioMy brother-in-law loves these. I actually wrote the recipe into the little books they had on the tables at their wedding reception for people to write them messages and advice.
2 eggs, 2/3 cup olive oil, 1 1/3 cup milk, 3 cups tapioca flour, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, 2 tsp salt. Blend the crap out of everything. Pour into mini muffin pans, bake at 400 for 17ish minutes.
I also made pumpkin pies, one using a Pillsbury crust, the other using 1 1/2 almond flour + 3 tblsp melted butter, 3 tblsp Splenda, mixed and pressed into 9" pie plate and baked off at 350 for ~12 minutes. People liked the almost crust, but I thought it got in the way of the pie.
I made the sauce Monday night, pumpkin filling, and bread batter Tuesday. Traveled Wednesday and baked the pies that night. Reading back over this I'm somewhat shocked everything was done and on the table at 5:45pm. My mother has only one oven so I had to get clever about scheduling oven time. By all accounts it worked out well.
The photo of the spread is the first quarter of the protein; we got through a little over half of the turkey, roast, and steaks during dinner that night. The rest made for leftovers for the rest of the weekend (as was planned). The potatoes work really well as breakfast potatoes. I also took rib slices and hit them with really high heat for 30 seconds a side for breakfast steaks.
I regret not making more.