Skip to content
Maintankadin

Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

VikrumthePally
Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:31 am

Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

Ok this isn't Mozilla pwns all (which I use to think).

But I recently formatted and installed IE 8 and I can honestly tell you that it's faster in my experience than FF 3 and FF 3.5(?). Like a lot faster. Also I haven't tried Chrome in months. When I was trying it, it had a few flaws.

But seriously, if anyone has played with all 3 in recent weeks can you please share your experience?

Speed, Security, over all enjoyment.

Thanks.
Isetnefret
Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

What are you doing with it?

Firebug if you do any type of coding/developing.

Which requires FF.


Google Chrome has a similar feature that is integrated, though, I don't like it as much as Firebug.


Chrome, in my experience, is faster than all the other browsers.


FF is a resource WHORE.

IE sucks, period. Microsoft's total disregard for any kind of compliance AT ALL puts them on the do not use list for me.
Lore
Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:05 am

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

Newest IE is pretty decent usability-wise, but I'm always hesitant to use it since it hasn't exactly been known for its security.

I use Chrome most of the time, with Firefox as backup when someone hasn't bothered to make their stuff work in Chrome.
VikrumthePally
Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:10 am

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

Lore wrote:I use Chrome most of the time, with Firefox as backup when someone hasn't bothered to make their stuff work in Chrome.


I like this idea.

I am telling you though if you haven't tried out the newest IE8 64 bit it hauls. But sadly what has been said about IE has confirmed my fears. So I guess I will try Lore's setup.

Thanks for the responses.
Gracerath
Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:22 am

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

I like Chrome. Also using Firefox as a backup. I load IE twice a year when those two fail me for whatever reason.
Snake-Aes
Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:52 am

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

I don't use Chrome since the first week after it's release o.O I don't know how it is today.

Firefox still ranks as my favorite, with Opera in a close second. Microsoft's philosophy with IE keeps me away from it.
Melathys
Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:50 am

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

I use chrome. I liked it when it first came out, but there was some sort of conflict b/w it and norton, so I couldn't use it and went back to firefox. I got a new computer and got chrome again, and I really like it.

about 64 bit browsers. Last I looked, 64 bit browsers didn't support flash (or something) so I haven't really bothered yet. If they've fixed that issue I'll look into it again. (I think it was something like flash itself isn't 64 bit, so the 64 bit browsers couldn't really do much about it.)
MrDuck
Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:10 am

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

Isetnefret wrote:IE sucks, period. Microsoft's total disregard for any kind of compliance AT ALL puts them on the do not use list for me.
100% Agreed. Actually, using IE kills kittens and makes children starve imo.

Anyway, you are missing opera in there :P It's pretty fast and very comfortable when one's used to it :P Haven't tried chrome yet. (is it available for linux already anyway?)

Oh well, I think they're all pretty much on par, with the exception of IE being completely crap(would like to throw out as many names as I could here,but well). Use any of FF, Chrome or Opera and you'll not only be safer than with IE, but you'll also do web developers a big favor :P I actually stopped optimizing webs I created for IE already, just ignoring that browser, not worth the efforts.

Melathys wrote:about 64 bit browsers. Last I looked, 64 bit browsers didn't support flash (or something) so I haven't really bothered yet. If they've fixed that issue I'll look into it again. (I think it was something like flash itself isn't 64 bit, so the 64 bit browsers couldn't really do much about it.)

Well what platform ya talkin' here? On linux it works just fine for some years, but since you mentioned Norton, I actually guess that's not what ya meant.
Minnerva
Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:35 am

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

Launched nine months ago, more than 30 million years already use the Google Chrome browser regularly. Today, Google announced a new project which they describe as "the natural extension of Google Chrome" : the Google Chrome Operating System.

Google Chrome OS is an open source, lightweight operating system that will initially be targeted at netbooks. Netbooks running Google Chrome OS will be available for consumers in the second half of 2010.

"Speed, simplicity and security are the key aspects of Google Chrome OS," Sundar Pichai, VP Product Management and Linus Upson, Engineering Director wrote on the official Google blog. "We're designing the OS to be fast and lightweight, to start up and get you onto the web in a few seconds. The user interface is minimal to stay out of your way, and most of the user experience takes place on the web. And as we did for the Google Chrome browser, we are going back to the basics and completely redesigning the underlying security architecture of the OS so that users don't have to deal with viruses, malware and security updates. It should just work."

Google Chrome OS will run on both x86 as well as ARM chips. The new operating is based on Linux kernel. For application developers, the web is the platform. All web-based applications will automatically work and new applications can be written using most web technologies. These apps will run not only on Google Chrome OS, but on any standards-based browser on Windows, Mac and Linux thereby giving developers the largest user base of any platform.

Google Chrome OS is a new project, separate from Android. Android was designed from the beginning to work across a variety of devices from phones to set-top boxes to netbooks. Google Chrome OS is being created for people who spend most of their time on the web, and is being designed to power computers ranging from small netbooks to full-size desktop systems.
Minnerva
Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:36 am

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

seems that microsoft getting bing.com got google mad.
Sarevok
Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:27 am

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

Lore wrote:Newest IE is pretty decent usability-wise, but I'm always hesitant to use it since it hasn't exactly been known for its security.

I use Chrome most of the time, with Firefox as backup when someone hasn't bothered to make their stuff work in Chrome.

I use IE8. No backup browsers needed :P :mrgreen:
MrDuck
Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:32 am

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

Sarevok wrote:I use IE8. No backup browsers needed :P :mrgreen:
Just tons of hours of web developers' work to make a "backup" crippled and not valid code that works(or pretends to work) in your IE -.-

Oh well sorry, I had to :(
hoho
Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:40 am

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

Chrome is fast (roughly equal to Konqueror), has never crashed and doesn't use up 80% of resources. FF is incredibly good for development but eats a ton of resources and is a bit sluggish. IE is not a browser and I haven't tried Opera.
Sarevok
Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:44 am

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

MrDuck wrote:
Sarevok wrote:I use IE8. No backup browsers needed :P :mrgreen:
Just tons of hours of web developers' work to make a "backup" crippled and not valid code that works(or pretends to work) in your IE -.-

Oh well sorry, I had to :(

at least it's providing web developers some work lol

anyway, I like how fast FF browser closes compared to IE8 especially with many tabs open :D
MrDuck
Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:25 am

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

Sarevok wrote:at least it's providing web developers some work lol
Truly painful work with randomly working/not working elements though! :P
Pizbit
Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:42 am

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

<pedantic> WTB Firefox option </pedantic>
Gamingdevil
Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:12 am

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

Pizbit wrote:<pedantic> WTB Firefox option </pedantic>


Look up to the top of your browser and see what you're actually using: Mozilla Firefox. Now look back at the poll options.

EDIT: Reading all the comments here and agreeing that Firefox can be a resource whore at times, I decided to try Google Chrome. But now when I start it up and go to my task manager I see two Chrome processes there, each taking a separate amount of resources. Which puts it ahead of Firefox again. Is this normal?
Aubade
Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:26 am

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

Gamingdevil wrote:
Pizbit wrote:<pedantic> WTB Firefox option </pedantic>


Look up to the top of your browser and see what you're actually using: Mozilla Firefox. Now look back at the poll options.


I giggled.
Pizbit
Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:33 am

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

Gamingdevil wrote:
Pizbit wrote:<pedantic> WTB Firefox option </pedantic>


Look up to the top of your browser and see what you're actually using: Mozilla Firefox. Now look back at the poll options.

EDIT: Reading all the comments here and agreeing that Firefox can be a resource whore at times, I decided to try Google Chrome. But now when I start it up and go to my task manager I see two Chrome processes there, each taking a separate amount of resources. Which puts it ahead of Firefox again. Is this normal?


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla#Mo ... tion_Suite
Now go edit your poll:P
Firefox was born of the Mozilla Suite of applications, ditto Thunderbird. Mozilla(applicate suite) != Mozilla(the brand) Firefox.
Hence the rather obvious PEDANTIC tags despite knowing what you meant.

Also the mozilla browser ran like shit.
Lumennon
Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:51 am

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

I used to be a staunch defender of IE. I never felt the need for another browser, and FF's looks and the fact that it took way too long to load when you started it the first time after a boot kept me away from it.

However, in the last months, problems with IE have been piling up for me. My biggest gripe is that when I have content like Flash videos in the site I am viewing, scrolling through that site and even opening up a new tab has been a pain in the butt. For me, it's delayed and lags like a bitch. And no, no changes to my machine and no other apps that behave that oddly. So, about a week ago, I finally switched to Firefox. I'm getting used to it and at this moment, do not plan to take closer looks at how IE is doing, to maybe switch back to it later.

I still use Outlook over Thunderbird, though. Mostly because when I last checked, the two had no really compatibility in the import / export department. If I use a mail program, I want to have all my mails in there. I don't want to tinker with TB, only to find out that it sucks and not being able to port my mails back to OL.
Cakes
Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:50 am

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

Gamingdevil wrote:
Pizbit wrote:<pedantic> WTB Firefox option </pedantic>


Look up to the top of your browser and see what you're actually using: Mozilla Firefox. Now look back at the poll options.

EDIT: Reading all the comments here and agreeing that Firefox can be a resource whore at times, I decided to try Google Chrome. But now when I start it up and go to my task manager I see two Chrome processes there, each taking a separate amount of resources. Which puts it ahead of Firefox again. Is this normal?


Chrome starts a separate thread, or process in this case, for each tab open.
majiben
Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:44 am

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

Minnerva wrote:seems that Microsoft getting bing.com got Google mad.

The way they are marketing Bing disturbs me. They seem be using the notion that a corporation being in control of your decision making and thus a great deal of your life is a desirable asset.
Invisusira
Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:25 pm

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

Chrome all the way. The Mac version isn't complete yet, but I can't wait until it is. FF is just so ridiculously slow. FF has become a massive bloat on my system, it sometimes renders WoW unplayable and has to be force-quit'd just to get it to go away.
Auroris
Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

Invisusira wrote:Chrome all the way. The Mac version isn't complete yet, but I can't wait until it is. FF is just so ridiculously slow. FF has become a massive bloat on my system, it sometimes renders WoW unplayable and has to be force-quit'd just to get it to go away.


IE8 does that to me. -.-;
Gamingdevil
Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:57 pm

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

Cakes wrote:
Gamingdevil wrote:
Pizbit wrote:<pedantic> WTB Firefox option </pedantic>


Look up to the top of your browser and see what you're actually using: Mozilla Firefox. Now look back at the poll options.

EDIT: Reading all the comments here and agreeing that Firefox can be a resource whore at times, I decided to try Google Chrome. But now when I start it up and go to my task manager I see two Chrome processes there, each taking a separate amount of resources. Which puts it ahead of Firefox again. Is this normal?


Chrome starts a separate thread, or process in this case, for each tab open.


I have one tab open right now and I have 2 processes running, one at 20MB, the other at 25MB

Just opened 4 other tabs and only one new process came up. I appreciate the info, but it doesn't seem to be quite right.