Skip to content
Maintankadin

Accents...

Aubade
Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:58 am

Re: Accents...

Minnerva wrote:
Corman wrote:Accents I like: Austrian


Australians don't have accents, they have criminal records :D

sorry couldn't help it they say that in vent to a guild member because he is Australian just to mess with him. at first he got angry and since i laughed in vent his response was a bit cruel telling me "shut up bitch" after a while he just understood the guild members were just joking.



Shut up bitch.



J/K ILY<3 DONT KILL ME PL0X
Katraya
Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:39 am

Re: Accents...

Minnerva wrote:
Corman wrote:Accents I like: Austrian


Australians don't have accents, they have criminal records :D

sorry couldn't help it they say that in vent to a guild member because he is Australian just to mess with him. at first he got angry and since i laughed in vent his response was a bit cruel telling me "shut up bitch" after a while he just understood the guild members were just joking.


As my Aussie friends always say - the only reason England started using Australia as a penal colony is because they lost their original one in some war. :wink:
Fidelis
Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:25 am

Re: Accents...

I'm a geordie from geordieland (Newcastle, England). Women tend to like my accent, especially as I have a deep voice. I do like women with scottish or irish accent. Never had the good fortune to really date an irish woman beyond the frisky stuff!

And hi (my first post here)
Rojhaz
Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:09 pm

Re: Accents...

Minnerva wrote:
Corman wrote:Accents I like: Austrian


Australians don't have accents, they have criminal records :D

sorry couldn't help it they say that in vent to a guild member because he is Australian just to mess with him. at first he got angry and since i laughed in vent his response was a bit cruel telling me "shut up bitch" after a while he just understood the guild members were just joking.

Reread what you quoted.
Constantíne
Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:23 pm

Re: Accents...

I'm from the midwest (Chicago area) and I've been told by many people, even in places with heavily accented population, that I have no accent. In my neighborhood most everyone has a particular accent, kind of subtle Italian with a hint of minnesota/wisconsin mixed in, but I didn't really pick that up for whatever reason. I don't really know if I do or not, but if I had to choose my favorite accent it would have to be Creole. I think it makes men sound suave and ladies sound oh so sex-eh! Like back when the first X-men cartoon was on, Gambit sounded like a pimp, I thought it was awesome.

The accent I hate is the 'cerebral palsy' accent. You probably know the one I mean. Guy gets on vent and he sounds brain damaged, like he's been beaten over the head with a baseball bat one too many times. Impossible to take anything they say seriously. Not an accent in the 'regional speech' kind of way, but it's still a specific manner of speaking nonetheless.
Candiru
Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:53 pm

Re: Accents...

Constantíne wrote:I'm from the midwest (Chicago area) and I've been told by many people, even in places with heavily accented population, that I have no accent. In my neighborhood most everyone has a particular accent, kind of subtle Italian with a hint of minnesota/wisconsin mixed in, but I didn't really pick that up for whatever reason. I don't really know if I do or not, but if I had to choose my favorite accent it would have to be Creole. I think it makes men sound suave and ladies sound oh so sex-eh! Like back when the first X-men cartoon was on, Gambit sounded like a pimp, I thought it was awesome.


When I read your post you have an accent in my head due to the highlighted phrase.

What does that actually mean BTW? Surely "everyone" or "most people" would suffice, rather than adding two superlatives together into one phrase?
Constantíne
Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: Accents...

Candiru wrote:
Constantíne wrote:I'm from the midwest (Chicago area) and I've been told by many people, even in places with heavily accented population, that I have no accent. In my neighborhood most everyone has a particular accent, kind of subtle Italian with a hint of minnesota/wisconsin mixed in, but I didn't really pick that up for whatever reason. I don't really know if I do or not, but if I had to choose my favorite accent it would have to be Creole. I think it makes men sound suave and ladies sound oh so sex-eh! Like back when the first X-men cartoon was on, Gambit sounded like a pimp, I thought it was awesome.


When I read your post you have an accent in my head due to the highlighted phrase.

What does that actually mean BTW? Surely "everyone" or "most people" would suffice, rather than adding two superlatives together into one phrase?


Never mind what it 'actually' means... WTF is a superlative?!? Are they attacking us?!?

/cower
QuantumDelta
Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: Accents...

Damnit, I demand to know who's behind this.
Some Asian-American girl just asked if I was Scottish originally :<
Conspiracy++ :<
Candiru
Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:43 pm

Re: Accents...

That's another word that's confusing: Asian

In Britain, Asian generally means someone from India/Pakistan/Bangladesh.

In America I think it means Japanese / Vietnamese / Chinese? Which would be called Oriental over here.


Exhibit A: Google "British Asian" into google image search
Image

Exhibit B: Google "American Asian" into google image search
Image

Strange the way these words have very different meanings in English and American usage.
QuantumDelta
Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:29 pm

Re: Accents...

Yea, Vietnamese/Malaysian mix, nice girl, but really, Scottish?! :<
I blame a certain northern bugger around here, he blatantly put her up to it :P
Fridmarr
Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:33 pm

Re: Accents...

The term "oriental" here in the Northwest US is frowned upon when used to describe a person. In the NW we have a pretty big asian community (a lot of Koreans where I live), and they'll tell you, objects (like rugs) are oriental, not people. I don't really get that to be honest, but if they want to be called Asians, who am I to argue.
Vanifae
Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:43 pm

Re: Accents...

Rojhaz wrote:
Minnerva wrote:
Corman wrote:Accents I like: Austrian


Australians don't have accents, they have criminal records :D

sorry couldn't help it they say that in vent to a guild member because he is Australian just to mess with him. at first he got angry and since i laughed in vent his response was a bit cruel telling me "shut up bitch" after a while he just understood the guild members were just joking.

Reread what you quoted.

This is comedy gold here on many different levels.

Minnerva always delivers.
QuantumDelta
Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:52 pm

Re: Accents...

Fridmarr wrote:The term "oriental" here in the Northwest US is frowned upon when used to describe a person. In the NW we have a pretty big asian community (a lot of Koreans where I live), and they'll tell you, objects (like rugs) are oriental, not people. I don't really get that to be honest, but if they want to be called Asians, who am I to argue.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orient
As a Brit I find it even more weird.

If you use the term oriental when talking about a member of the fairer sex you're normally giving them a compliment here, the kind of alluring mysterious sexy oriental stereotype I guess :P
Dorvan
Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:18 pm

Re: Accents...

Candiru wrote:When I read your post you have an accent in my head due to the highlighted phrase.

What does that actually mean BTW? Surely "everyone" or "most people" would suffice, rather than adding two superlatives together into one phrase?


It's synonymous with "almost everyone"......more than the simple majority implied by "most", but not the totality of "everyone".

My favorite truely nonsensical word though is "nother", found exclusively in the phrase "a whole nother (story, ballgame, etc)".

Other things that amuse me (though these are straight errors rather than colloquialisms) are "mute point" and "all intensive purposes".
Candiru
Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:34 pm

Re: Accents...

Ah, I see, I have been translating "most everyone" as just a hyperbole version of "everyone" like "most unique" etc.

What's wrong with saying "nearly everyone" or "almost everyone"? Most everyone makes no sense at all :(

American is strange.