Skip to content
Maintankadin

Whatcha readin'?

KysenMurrin
Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:15 am

Re: Whatcha readin'?

Currently reading The Familiar volume 1, by Mark Z Danielewski. Also listening to Jingo by Terry Pratchett.
Njall
Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:40 am

Re: Whatcha readin'?

Hero of the Imperium: A Caiphas Caine Omnibus.
KysenMurrin
Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:13 am

Re: Whatcha readin'?

I'm up to The Last Continent on the Terry Pratchett audiobooks. Not decided which physical book I'm reading next - most likely Grace of Kings by Ken Liu.
Era
Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:14 am

Re: Whatcha readin'?

Era wrote:Next up is a book I've been meaning to read for the longest time: Green Hills of Africa by Hemingway!


About half-way (it's a small book, but I've got little time for reading these days sadly), and I've missed his style of writing!
Njall
Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:04 am

Re: Whatcha readin'?

Era wrote:Next up is a book I've been meaning to read for the longest time: Green Hills of Africa by Hemingway!


Well, at least Nessingwary stole from the greats...
KysenMurrin
Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:37 am

Re: Whatcha readin'?

John Scalzi's The Last Colony.
Aubade
Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:57 am

Re: Whatcha readin'?

Still on A Dance with Dragons. I've lost motivation after the end of the Last TV Season.
Snake-Aes
Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:40 am

Re: Whatcha readin'?

Keep at it. The book is amazing and its end delivers harder than any previous Song book.
Nooska
Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:52 pm

Re: Whatcha readin'?

still on book 1 of ASOIAF - can't remember what its called (I wanna say Game of Thrones, but I'm thinking I'm influenced by the TV series etc)
Aubade
Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:12 pm

Re: Whatcha readin'?

Nooska wrote:still on book 1 of ASOIAF - can't remember what its called (I wanna say Game of Thrones, but I'm thinking I'm influenced by the TV series etc)


Nawh you're right.

It's
1.) Game Of Thrones
2.) A Clash of Kings
3.) A Storm of Swords
4.) A Feast of Crows
5.) A Dance With Dragons.
6.) The Winds of Winter (Unreleased.)
7.) A dream of Spring. (Unreleased.)
Era
Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:13 am

Re: Whatcha readin'?

Just finished The Martian by Andy Weir. Really enjoyed it. (Y) Movie looks... okay. Official teaser trailer stupidly spoilery. That's not a teaser, it's full on frontal. What's with movie companies seemingly thinking trailers have to be 3 minute summaries of the entire movie these days?
Njall
Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:06 am

Re: Whatcha readin'?

Rereading the "Masters of Rome" series by Colleen McCullough. Currently half way through "The Grass Crown" which covers Sulla's rise to power and Gaius Marius's gradual descent into madness.
Arnock
Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:53 pm

Re: Whatcha readin'?

Reading through The Dresden Files.

Not exactly high literature, but quite entertaining nonetheless.
Era
Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:14 pm

Re: Whatcha readin'?

Started another Japanese book: Kokoro by Natsume Sōseki. Seems a fairly somber book. Kinda reminds me of a slightly heavier version of The Razor's Edge by Maugham. Only just started it though, so can't really comment much yet.
Arnock
Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:07 am

Re: Whatcha readin'?

Era wrote:Just finished The Martian by Andy Weir. Really enjoyed it. (Y) Movie looks... okay. Official teaser trailer stupidly spoilery. That's not a teaser, it's full on frontal. What's with movie companies seemingly thinking trailers have to be 3 minute summaries of the entire movie these days?



As much as a lot of people hate them, marketing data shows that the spoileriffic trailers draw bigger crowds. Studios wouldn't use them if they didn't know they work.
KysenMurrin
Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:22 am

Re: Whatcha readin'?

Recently finished: The Lives of Tao by Wesley Chu; The Wee Free Men (audiobook) by Terry Pratchett; Unbeatable Squirrel Girl vol 1 by Ryan North & Erika Henderson.
Currently reading/listening: The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu; Monstrous Regiment (audiobook) by Terry Pratchett.
Era
Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:50 am

Re: Whatcha readin'?

Arnock wrote:As much as a lot of people hate them, marketing data shows that the spoileriffic trailers draw bigger crowds. Studios wouldn't use them if they didn't know they work.


As is life. Hard to argue against money.

It's not really a problem though. Mostly a pet peeve. Not like it's a problem for me to just not watch trailers. If I'm gonna watch the movie anyway, then there's really no need to watch the trailer. :p
Klaudandus
Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:36 am

Re: Whatcha readin'?

Currently reading tons of comics. Barely have time to read a book these days o_o
Era
Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:39 am

Re: Whatcha readin'?

Eh, comics are stories too! They've just got more space between the words and more informative illustrations. ;)
Klaudandus
Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:57 am

Re: Whatcha readin'?

Era wrote:Eh, comics are stories too! They've just got more space between the words and more informative illustrations. ;)

Some weeks, I read 40 comics, if not more. x_x
Pfife
Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:25 pm

Re: Whatcha readin'?

At this point I think I'll read a suggestion. I've been meaning to read some Lovecraft and want to get a collection off the Google store, but don't know which one I should go for. Anybody in the thread want to point me to a book that will keep me up at night?
Klaudandus
Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:29 pm

Re: Whatcha readin'?

Pfife wrote:At this point I think I'll read a suggestion. I've been meaning to read some Lovecraft and want to get a collection off the Google store, but don't know which one I should go for. Anybody in the thread want to point me to a book that will keep me up at night?


At the mountains of madness, the dunwich horror and of course the call of cthulhu
Pfife
Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:00 pm

Re: Whatcha readin'?

Klaudandus wrote:At the mountains of madness, the dunwich horror and of course the call of cthulhu


Is there a collection I should be looking for that has them? There are way too many options/collections when I do a search. I'll hit Wikipedia to see if I can find one.

Edit: Did a check and it looks like I can get your recommendation plus the Colour out of Space (saw a synopsis and it sounds interesting) with two purchases; At the Mountains of Madness and The Dunwich Horror. I'll start browsing Google books and get them on my phone (hopefully this does not spur the thing to life and attempt to drive me mad).

Edit2: I think I just found all his writings in one book; https://play.google.com/store/books/details/H_P_Lovecraft_H_P_Lovecraft?id=Zu0OBAAAQBAJ H.P. Lovecraft: The Ultimate Collection.

This should be a fun ride. I think I'll stay up late to read then binge on Marble Hornets.