cerwillis wrote:Kelaan wrote:Sure, the world builds a better idiot, but if you can postpone their exposure to things like sex and alcohol and smoking until they actually know all about the nasty side effects ... they may be more likely to behave responsibly.
This is flawed, because we don't teach our children why they shouldn't do these things, just that they shouldn't. Kids are told "Drugs and sex are bad, mmmkay?", until they are finally exposed to them in a much more negative way than if they were properly educated. Cue 14 yr old mom and "dad" is sniffing glue in the parking lot.
I didn't mean not telling about it, merely restricting their access to the pitfalls themselves. I'm quite alright with explaining how it works, why it's bad, why it can be good later
(once you can support kids), or all the financial costs that it entails.
If I have a table saw in the garage, I'll be telling my son all about how it works, the safety features, and probably even show him some
lovely photos of people that had accidents or were careless. I want him to have a healthy fear/respect of the Bad Things that can happen, so that he takes proper precautions to ensure that he doesn't get mauled.
In the case of sex, I'll definitely make sure he knows how it works and how to protect himself, but I also hope to educate him on how badly it can change your life -- whether it's an unexpected kid that you're now mortgaging your life for before you've even started your own journey, or lesions in the brain, and other scary diseases. Of course I'll ensure there are protective bits that he has access to, but I also want to make damned sure that he knows how life-changing it can be.
As far as drugs? Well, a discussion of what drug possession/trafficing/dealing convictions have on job prospects or school admissions, not to mention the effects of the drugs themselves, ought to help. It's hard to say for things like pot/lsd/ecstasy where many
users claim there are no detrimental side effects ... I don't really know enough about them to be able to mount an effective argument via
"look how this affects you" the way one could for tobacco, alcohol, or meth. Fortunately I have a decade or so before I will be too worried about that.