bldavis wrote:Ruex wrote:Why did I read this thread when I was hungry? dumb dumb idea.
and getting hungrier
also, where is LB with his recipe?
Here we go.
Sweet and Spicy Grilled Shrimp Skewers
Some notes. When it comes to seasoning, I don't use set measurements as I prefer to eyeball it. With seasonings I usually just try to get a decent coat on all shrimp then stir them around after every seasoning before applying the next one.
Ingredients/Things You Need:
-Uncooked shrimp (can be frozen or fresh), stay away from the pre-cooked frozen ones.
-Skewers
-Crab Seasoning, can be spicy or mild
-Garlic Powder
-Cayenne Pepper
-Onion Powder (optional doesn't add much I just like to use it)
-Lemon Juice (fresh or bottled)
-Butter
-Hot Sauce
-Black Pepper
-Honey
1. Peel and devein the shrimps, wash them off, etc. I like to let them soak in warm water for a bit before I start. Place them in a large pot, something where you can stir them around easily.
2. Start seasoning with black pepper, crab seasoning, garlic powder, and onion powder. As I said, I tend to eyeball seasonings. Chances are if you go "this is too much" it is. It is always better to underseason than overseason. Just try to make sure each shrimp has a good amount on it.
3. Now comes the fun part. The Cayenne pepper. It has a very strong and hot taste so try to not add too much. If you add too much it'll overpower the honey too much and you'll just end up with very spicy shrimp. I always tend to underplay this one as you'll be adding hot sauce later anyway.
4. Now for the wet ingredients. A lot of this stuff (combined with the seasonings in the pot will make up your sauce). First pour a little bit of lemon juice on the shrimp.
5. Next add the butter. Depending on how many shrimp I have in the pot, I'll do 2 scoops for about 16ish shrimp and 3 for more than 20. All personal preference.
6. Stir, stir, stir just make sure all the ingredients are mixed together good. Next add the hot sauce, again it's better to be under than over with this.
7. Last is the most important ingredient, the honey. This is what I'd personally call the secret to the final flavor you're aiming for. I personally like to do a good amount just to help overpower the heat from the pepper and hot sauce.
Now you're done with the seasoning, just make sure everything is mixed together in the pot/pan. It'll look kind of bad but it all comes together once everything melts and cooks together, it comes out amazing.
Now there are two ways I cook it.
1. The Oven and
2. The Grill.
I cooked it in the oven for a while, but recently got a small George Foreman type grill and it is 100 times better than the oven.
If you're doing the oven. Preheat around 350 while mixing the ingredients. Throw the pan in. After 3-4 minutes, take it out, stir it up again and throw it back in. You have to keep an eye on them at all times as shrimp overcook easily. You just want that orange and opaque white coloring. A good way to also tell when they're done is touching them with a utensil to make sure they're firm and not underdone. I try not to cook longer than 9 minutes personally. After at least 7 minutes I'd eat one to see if they're done.
Now the grill can be a bit messier in the setup.
8. Have two paper towels or whatever you want to sit the skewers on. Just pop the shrimp on the skewers, due to all the ingredients this gets very messy but I prefer to have them already seasoned before adding them on the skewers.
9. Have your grill preheated to whatever you like then just pop 1 or 2 skewers on.
10. My small grill cooks them in a little under 2 minutes so keep an eye on them. Just make sure you flip until both sides look done.
11. Enjoy. Very simple and easy recipe to do. My first time writing a recipe so apologizes if any instructions are confusing or hard to follow. Just season, skewer, pop em on, and enjoy.
If seasoned properly you should get a decent amount of spicyness combined with a very rewarding sweetness to balance it out. I'll post a picture next time I cook some.


