Skip to content
Maintankadin

Overrated and Underrated Movies

Trav
Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: Overrated and Underrated Movies

Viycktor wrote:Underrated: Romeo+Juliet (the one with Leo and Clair) - In MANY cases the motion picture does worse or no better than a live stage as a medium for a play, this movie is one of the exceptions.

It followed the script very well (with a few glaring omissions that did not ruin the story IMO) and told the story in a way that I don't think anyone will be able to top using film as a medium. For me, I had never seen a 'weak' Romeo next to such a strong Juliet, and I feel this is how it was meant to be done.

Fight Club is awesome... I wrote a paper on it back in high school (I think, it was a while ago) discussing it's portrayal of someone with Dissociative Identity Disorder. The topics in the movie have become too... relevant... for it to appear as profound as it once was. Masculinity and survival/base instincts are no longer something lamented or questioned... they are simply assumed to be dead. Did you know that throughout the beginning (and I think other parts of the movie) there are instances of single frames where Pitt is standing in the scene with Norton? I discovered it while reviewing the movie for the paper, so I'm sure it's all over the internet these days.


Also, remember the scene where Pitt is splicing in the single frame of pornography into the kids' movies? Don't pay attention to closely right before the credits...you have been warned : p
mew
Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:09 pm

Re: Overrated and Underrated Movies

I think I will give the Romeo and Juliet movie another chance. Maybe I can watch it this weekend.
Vanifae absolutely loves that movie but I was never a big fan.
Nikachelle
Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:16 pm

Re: Overrated and Underrated Movies

RedFerno wrote:
Underrated - Boondock Saints


Perhaps not well received by critics, and subsequently had a very short career in theaters... this movie has a massive following. I cannot wait for the second movie, although I fear it will ruin the first one if the director does too much to it.

Absolutely my favourite movie of all time.
Snake-Aes
Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:21 pm

Re: Overrated and Underrated Movies

I dislike critics. They are paid to speak of stuff they see, and almost always seem to have an opinion different than that of the majority, being then even more useless than you'd expect them to be.
Culhag
Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:22 pm

Re: Overrated and Underrated Movies

Viycktor wrote:Did you know that throughout the beginning (and I think other parts of the movie) there are instances of single frames where Pitt is standing in the scene with Norton? I discovered it while reviewing the movie for the paper, so I'm sure it's all over the internet these days.

I noticed it the first time I saw the film. I thought it was pretty obvious.
Constantíne
Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:46 pm

Re: Overrated and Underrated Movies

Snake-Aes wrote:
Lightbeard wrote:LFS
Say LFS once it derails into petty discussion. Twice if it's about Matrix.


In b4 'I told you so' from Snake, although it didn't turn out to be Matrix related.
Lightbeard
Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:08 pm

Re: Overrated and Underrated Movies

Culhag wrote:
Viycktor wrote:Did you know that throughout the beginning (and I think other parts of the movie) there are instances of single frames where Pitt is standing in the scene with Norton? I discovered it while reviewing the movie for the paper, so I'm sure it's all over the internet these days.

I noticed it the first time I saw the film. I thought it was pretty obvious.

I noticed that the 2nd time through (i never saw all of the beginning the 1st time)

Someone told me there is a scene where Norton sets down two beers by himself at the bar but I couldnt find it
Thalia
Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:55 am

Re: Overrated and Underrated Movies

Underrated:

RAD - best movie ever growing up! it was all about bmx bikes.
Aubade
Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:10 am

Re: Overrated and Underrated Movies

Lost


In


space
Arnock
Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:20 am

Re: Overrated and Underrated Movies

Underated: What about bob?
Brand
Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:48 am

Re: Overrated and Underrated Movies

Arnock wrote:Underated: What about bob?


To this day I still make references to "Baby Steps" and "Death Therapy". Awesome awesome movie.
Lightbeard
Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:57 am

Re: Overrated and Underrated Movies

O god how could i forget Fast and Furious series

I'd like to add FInal Destination series to that too

The first one was awesome after that meh
djellum
Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:58 am

Re: Overrated and Underrated Movies

overrated - Momento (not that its not good), The Matrix sequels, Apocalypse Now, American Beauty,

Underrated - Unbreakable, Stir of Echoes, Sneakers, Thunderheart, Lake Placid.

I like most of the overrated ones overall, some are very good movies, but but less than I expected. Anyone else remember when The Shawshank Redemption was sucking it up in theatres? Everyone I knew couldnt tell you what it was about but they werent going to see it. Then we all rented it and were sitting on the couch stunned.
Lightbeard
Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:43 pm

Re: Overrated and Underrated Movies

I thought Memento was underrated and I agree with Lake Placid it wasn't the best but it was basically Jaws with a crocodile