Skip to content
Maintankadin

How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

Dorvan
Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:41 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

Vanifae wrote:I am as American as Jason Statham.


OMG HE'S BEING IRONIC
QuantumDelta
Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:40 am

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

speaking of people invading but keeping the invaded peoples names, the one I mentioned earlier "Avon", was named after the River here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/River_Avon_%28Bristol%29

It was called the Avon by the locals.
Avon means river.
The British decided to call it the River Avon.
...The River River
>.>
Erendis
Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:07 am

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

The upper midwest has my favourite names.

Example:

Sault Ste. Marie
Pursan
Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:25 am

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

Oklahoma is the trash can of America, I have held this position for six years, three of which I lived there. The Flaming Lips are about the only positive thing to come out of the state.
Snake-Aes
Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:29 am

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

I have yet to find a native English Speaker that successfully pronounces "Árvore". Or any word with that pattern of "R+Consonant" in Portuguese, actually.
Euphoria
Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

Pursan wrote:Oklahoma is the trash can of America, I have held this position for six years, three of which I lived there. The Flaming Lips are about the only positive thing to come out of the state.



ZOMG! We spawned Toby Keith as well!

Errrr....wait. Nevermind.

We DO have Rodney Carrington though, he is awesome.


Also, I reject your assertion that we're the trash can of the U.S. and substitute the southern half of Wyoming. I've seen entire towns built out of double-wide trailers there. Not even Oklahoma has that.
Enkal
Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:15 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

I love to ask native english speaking people to pronounce the greek letter pi correctly. (Hint: it does not sound like something with a nice crust that you can eat). :mrgreen:
Shoju
Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:24 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

Here comes the american fail I guess.


Isetnefret wrote:Lancaster


LAN - Cas -ter

There is a Lancaster Ohio.

Doncaster


DON - cas -ter

Chichester

CHI - chester with the I being phonetically long sounding

Bicester


BUY - ces - ter

Auchenheath


OUCH - en - heath

Kirkfieldbank


KIRK - field -bank

Gloucester


GLAU - kester

There is my turn to fail.
YoYoMa
Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

I love when people pronounce Illinois with the "s" on the end or Chicago as "chee-ka-go". Though phonteically I can see why somebody would do it.

Enkal wrote:I love to ask native english speaking people to pronounce the greek letter pi correctly. (Hint: it does not sound like something with a nice crust that you can eat).
it's pee :) Also, about 99.9% of people that are in any sorority or fraternity in college cant' correctly pronounce a majority of the Greek letters that they often espouse know so well.
Enkal
Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

YoYoMa wrote:I love when people pronounce Illinois with the "s" on the end or Chicago as "chee-ka-go". Though phonteically I can see why somebody would do it.

Enkal wrote:I love to ask native english speaking people to pronounce the greek letter pi correctly. (Hint: it does not sound like something with a nice crust that you can eat).
it's pee :) Also, about 99.9% of people that are in any sorority or fraternity in college cant' correctly pronounce a majority of the Greek letters that they often espouse know so well.


I would actually say that it's: pi with a short i. pee would be with a long i. I do belive we have some greek tankadins here who could resolve that particular issue. :)
Flipthebird
Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:49 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

Americans will fail

Uh-mare-uh-kins will fayl



DO I WIN SOMETHINGS OF IMPORTANCE????
Snake-Aes
Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:50 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

Flipthebird wrote:Americans will fail

Uh-mare-uh-kins will fayl



DO I WIN SOMETHINGS OF IMPORTANCE????

I'd give you an internet, but I ate it.
Flipthebird
Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:52 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

Snake-Aes wrote:
Flipthebird wrote:Americans will fail

Uh-mare-uh-kins will fayl



DO I WIN SOMETHINGS OF IMPORTANCE????

I'd give you an internet, but I ate it.


I can wait.
YoYoMa
Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:12 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

I had taken a language class at one point and the professor had said that American English is actually closer to the origins of the English language than British English. The reason for that was that when the original settlers came to America their dialect stagnated without much outside influence while the British English continued to change. I'm not sure if it's still the case given the mass influx of people since WWII and all but it's always fun to see Brits get all riled up when you say Americans speak a more proper English than they do :lol: