Nakama wrote:I think you're being perfectly reasonable. Your son has shown a tendency to not know boundaries and ones that can potentially land him in deep trouble. You're looking out for him and preventing a potentially bad situation from occurring. You may want to take the tact from one of the previous posts (I think from Mew?) and let him know that the better he behaves in the short-term, the more you will be able to let him do long term and feel comfortable about it.
--Jed
Well, the problem is that they don't think that far ahead

My sister still misbehaved for a good 2-3 years after that. (I don't know why I didn't think to post this sooner actually) It wasn't until
she actually got in trouble with non-parental forces and lost something important that she cared about that she actually changed.
She got in to a really good residential magnet school type thing (she was 15) with a 0 tolerance policy for drugs and alcohol. I went there too, there is still a lot of drugs, alcohol, and sex. I told her "You shouldn't do drugs, it's important to be able to have fun without them. But more importantly don't do anything like that there at least for your first year so you can get the hang of things. If you
really can't go without it then do it when you come home for the weekends. If you can't last that long without it then you have a problem that you need to get help with, but I have friends you can talk to that smoked and can tell you how to safely get away with weed at that school."
Of course her response was denying my offer to help, acting offended, and saying, "I don't smoke weed".
So... Being the awesome teenager that she was, she ended up getting kicked out in the first 6 weeks for having weed
in her purse. I mean, with the limited knowledge I had I at least told her "hide it in the woods outside, not in the school", what she did was unimaginably stupid. But she just had no concept for authority. She would get caught at home all the time and get in trouble (grounded, not going to friend's houses, etc), I think she felt like nothing that bad could really happen to her. I felt so bad and she was so so sad for weeks, but she understood that it was no one's fault but her own.
After that she fast tracked her high school, graduated in a year (instead of 2 more years), and went to college. She is still extremely attached to her friends from junior high and high school (the ones that smoked a lot with her) and still drinks with them but she is much better at controlling herself. One really important thing is that she feels comfortable telling our mom about her drinking and things, which means that for one we know what she is up to, and also that she is proud of herself and not ashamed that she has to hide what she does.
My mom would still instinctively be somewhat controlling over her about going to friends' houses when she would come home for vacations and weekends. But my sister would joke back at her "You know that in a few days I'm going back to school and will be able to go wherever I want

" (she didn't say it in a mean or nasty way, it's hard for me to describe/convey the full meaning), and then mom would let her go hang out with friends :V
Teenagers don't realize how easy they have it. I straight up told her at certain points that she needs to appreciate our mom because our mom would know she was sneaking out, smoking, doing who knows what else, but she wouldn't tell our dad who would have just flipped shit and made everything worse.