Skip to content
Maintankadin

The Air Conditioner Thread

Melathys
Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:08 am

Re: The Air Conditioner Thread

I intend to get rid of my refrigerant ac and install an evaporative cooler ac. they work splendidly in desert environments and use about 70-80% less energy.

*edit.

ohhai you above me. I posted before reading the second page. :wavey:

Evaporative coolers can generally use the same ducting as your normal ac, though sometimes you might need to get larger piping, as there's usually more air flowing from evaporative coolers. Because of that moving air, they "feel" about 5 degrees cooler than it actually is. as for room to put it, they could very well go where your ac currently is.

I intend to also get a solar water heater (hell, just putting that thing outside would probably get it more than hot enough...)
Arnock
Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:57 am

Re: The Air Conditioner Thread

Although it doesn't often get past 100 here, 90 degrees plus 80%+ humidity can make an unpleasant combination.
Shamora
Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:03 am

Re: The Air Conditioner Thread

Arnock wrote:Although it doesn't often get past 100 here, 90 degrees plus 80%+ humidity can make an unpleasant combination.
Chunes
Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:07 pm

Re: The Air Conditioner Thread

air conditioning you can stay quiet all night.
Melathys
Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:25 pm

Re: The Air Conditioner Thread

Arnock wrote:Although it doesn't often get past 100 here, 90 degrees plus 80%+ humidity can make an unpleasant combination.


I tell people I'd rather have 110 dry heat than 90 with lots of humidity.
Gracerath
Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: The Air Conditioner Thread

Mine is an indoor unit with a hose that connects to the window. My windows weren't great for propping a window unit in. My computer superheats my bedroom and I've worked graveyard shift for 10 years so having a cool room to sleep during the day in the summer was paramount. Best 300 bucks I've ever spent.
Sputterduck
Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:41 am

Re: The Air Conditioner Thread

Melathys wrote:
Arnock wrote:Although it doesn't often get past 100 here, 90 degrees plus 80%+ humidity can make an unpleasant combination.


I tell people I'd rather have 110 dry heat than 90 with lots of humidity.

very much this
phaqueue
Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:11 pm

Re: The Air Conditioner Thread

I definitely miss my old apt's central air... we ran that thing from march - september almost non-stop (electric was included with the rent... was wonderful) My ac unit now is wall mounted in the living room, so my room tends to get pretty hot while I'm trying to sleep... (I sleep during the afternoon since I work 3rd shift). Fans help a ton to move the air from the living room into mine...