Skip to content
Maintankadin

Prosecution or Defense?

mew
Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:41 am

Re: Prosecution or Defense?

My lifestyle (personality, behavior, morals, etc) is so far off from that of an attorney that I would say neither.
If I had to pick, I'd say defense. At least that way, whether guilty or innocent, if you succeed that person is going to be happy; so you at least get that satisfaction.
I was a psychologist in undergrad, and we had a very interesting presentation once on forensic psychology v law practices. Law is interested in conviction or defense, but forensic psychology is interested in the truth regardless of their client.

D: It's frustrating just thinking about it. I don't understand how any good person would want to be a lawyer, it's the kind of profession that sucks the sympathy out of you.
Flipthebird
Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:49 am

Re: Prosecution or Defense?

mew wrote:D: It's frustrating just thinking about it. I don't understand how any good person would want to be a lawyer, it's the kind of profession that sucks the sympathy out of you.


I disagree. I think maybe the media has portrayed lawyers as unsympathetic and greedy, but I'm sure there are 'good' lawyers out there just trying to do the best they can at serving justice.

There does have to be a certain degree of heartlessness, (for lack of a better word), so that justice can be 'blind', but if the lawyer has a real passion for his job he's going to 'do the right thing' and fight for the rights of everyone. The only problem is that the people being defended/prosecuted want the lawyers to be biased towards them as people, which of course the lawyers should not do. So a lot of times, those people get offended when they feel they are not being treated 'as people', ya know?
lythac
Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:16 am

Re: Prosecution or Defense?

Defense.

So I can pretend Al Pacino is my father and sleep with my sister.