Skip to content
Maintankadin

Whip out your di..

fafhrd
Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:22 am
QuantumDelta wrote:How the heck do you explain a-levels to americans? :<

It's sort of college!


Just say it's like doing your first year of university as your last year and a half of two or highschool, likely reducing your time in actual university down to three years. That's what the overlap in subject matter seemed to be for me when I switch from british to american systems.
Aubade
Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:46 am
fafhrd wrote:
QuantumDelta wrote:How the heck do you explain a-levels to americans? :<

It's sort of college!


Just say it's like doing your first year of university as your last year and a half of two or highschool, likely reducing your time in actual university down to three years. That's what the overlap in subject matter seemed to be for me when I switch from british to american systems.


sounds like our "running start" programs, where you start college in your junior and senior year and only have to go for 2 years after high school to get your 4 year degree
majiben
Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:51 am
High School Diploma

Plenty of independent educaton however.
tuberon
Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:55 am
fafhrd wrote:
QuantumDelta wrote:How the heck do you explain a-levels to americans? :<

It's sort of college!


Just say it's like doing your first year of university as your last year and a half of two or highschool, likely reducing your time in actual university down to three years. That's what the overlap in subject matter seemed to be for me when I switch from british to american systems.


Also might be like, Advanced Placement (AP) courses which allow you to earn college credit for subjects beyond the regular high school selection, but still offered at High School. Such as my earning credit for Calculus and Economics before I even had my college acceptance.
katraya
Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:00 am
BA in Sociology and History

Started a Masters in Sociology but I don't plan on finishing it. However, I do plan on doing a public health certificate starting this fall. The university I work for will pay for it so I figured it would be silly not to. Right now I am trying to decide which certificate to do - general public health, public health preparedness, or risk sciences and public policy.
fafhrd
Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:37 am
Tuberon wrote:
fafhrd wrote:
QuantumDelta wrote:How the heck do you explain a-levels to americans? :<

It's sort of college!


Just say it's like doing your first year of university as your last year and a half of two or highschool, likely reducing your time in actual university down to three years. That's what the overlap in subject matter seemed to be for me when I switch from british to american systems.


Also might be like, Advanced Placement (AP) courses which allow you to earn college credit for subjects beyond the regular high school selection, but still offered at High School. Such as my earning credit for Calculus and Economics before I even had my college acceptance.


Are the APs what you test for via the SATIIs? I did my SATIIs in Physics, Chem, some sort of math and writing, all were significantly easier than the corresponding A-level courses. Part of that was probably just that the SATs were most MCQ tests, so a lot easier to do well on, but part of it was that there just seemed a lot less material to cover for the SATIIs.
majiben
Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:36 am
SAT IIs are a joke. No APs are essentially entery level college courses you take in highschool and then at the end of the year test to see how well you learned the subject matter. All colleges have different opinions of the AP system. Some schools accept anyone who schools above a 3 (out of 5) and gives them credit for the course. Some don't give any credit based upon them and others give partial credit or make you take their placement exams and give you credit only if you do well. Also not all highschools run their AP courses the same way.

It's completely optional.
Laz
Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:18 pm
Some College.

I'm a pre-professional student hoping to pursue a medical degree. My field of study is Molecular Biology. I'm ranked as a senior although it is only my third year of studies. Due to scheduling conflicts with major requirements I'll be forced to graduate sometime in my 4th year.
Vanifae
Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:20 pm
Hunting and Gathering.
Aubade
Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:39 pm
Vanifae wrote:Hunting and Gathering.


Are you for hire?
Dorvan
Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:08 pm
Just to confirm what Maj said the AP program and SAT II tests are entirely different entities, with AP tests being more challenging and often counting towards college credit (depending on the university).
fafhrd
Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:34 pm
Aubade wrote:
Vanifae wrote:Hunting and Gathering.


Are you for hire?


I have her tied up weeknights till around 3am, you can have her days though if you want, rates are reasonable.
Aubade
Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:37 pm
fafhrd wrote:
Aubade wrote:
Vanifae wrote:Hunting and Gathering.


Are you for hire?


I have her tied up weeknights till around 3am, you can have her days though if you want, rates are reasonable.


How much for mon-wednesday?
Aldonza
Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:42 pm
BS in International Business
theckhd
Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:17 pm
BS in Physics

Finishing up my PhD in Optics (Laser Physics)
Teloc
Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:29 pm
Some College

Though less then a year til i get my,

BS in Game and Simulation Programming.
Rummy
Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:15 pm
I just whipped out a business card and it says B.Eng (Mech)(Hons)

Guess that makes me a mechanical engineer

And no i cant fix your car
and no i cant issue a pink slip for that big block you dropped into your ford escort.

I design industrial refrigeration systems
daemonym
Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:51 pm
bs in digital art and design

going for masters when i actually have time/money to do so.
firstamendme
Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:45 am
In school for a Doctoral degree in Physical Chemistry (lanthanide series chemistry stuff, but saying PChem is easier)

I guess that counts as PhD for the poll? in progress?
Elsie
Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:52 am
I have a bachelor's degree in Mathematics. It's not worth the paper its printed on since my degree offered no job orientated skills beyond "I can write papers and do hard logic."

I'm going back for a degree in Accounting, but my school has insane requirements for the College of Business and, due to poor student advisers in the Mathematics department and sickness, I'm having to play severe catch up. Not to mention finding internships or real jobs to pay for it feels near impossible.

Majiben wrote:SAT IIs are a joke. No APs are essentially entery level college courses you take in highschool and then at the end of the year test to see how well you learned the subject matter. All colleges have different opinions of the AP system. Some schools accept anyone who schools above a 3 (out of 5) and gives them credit for the course. Some don't give any credit based upon them and others give partial credit or make you take their placement exams and give you credit only if you do well. Also not all highschools run their AP courses the same way.

Don't do AP. Do concurrent enrollment. High Schools can accept college courses as credit (though not always with Honors credit bonuses). This way you won't have any problems having your credit given. From my experiences, AP courses given you more workload than is reasonable and you learn less than an actual college course. In my third year of high school, I just went to high school from 7:30-10:30 and took a couple night classes at college (a good college, not a 2 year community one).
Maverick13
Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:06 am
BSc Management and Business Computing

Phd in Business IT
Drexanna
Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:17 am
BA Business Management with Retail

Failed BSc AI and Software Engineering first year twice. Left, worked, went back to do my BA, and now work in IT!
Drak
Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:49 am
High School Diploma

Working on my BS in Chemical Engineering.
lythac
Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:56 am
A-Levels

:cry:
Sabina
Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:06 am
Bachelor of Science, Computer Information Systems
Master of Business Administration