Skip to content
Maintankadin

Is this the poll...

Robbo
Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:38 am
Proto Drake!
Petersen
Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:12 am
Invisusira wrote:Except I wanted an actual poll, not of one where everyone votes for CBH.

I'll be honest, I'm quite surprised the drakes - whose hideous graphics have been around and unchanged since release - are tied with proto-drakes.



Consider that the drakes and Netherdrakes use more-or-less the same model, just different skins, and it looks to me like Drakes > Proto-Drakes 2:1.

Personally, I like my Snowy-Armored Gryphon. The only reason I'd want any of the proto-drakes is for A) showing off and B) 310% speed. The latter I can accomplish if I ever get A'lar.
KysenMurrin
Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:42 am
A'lar is hideous.

Proto-Drakes have that very cool brutal look going for them, that drakes just lack.
Worldie
Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:00 pm
I'm seriously considering rolling tailor on my DK.
Invisusira
Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:09 pm
Petersen wrote:Consider that the drakes and Netherdrakes use more-or-less the same model, just different skins, and it looks to me like Drakes > Proto-Drakes 2:1.

Image
Image
Netherdrakes are a completely different model. They are only similar in structure, which allows them to use the exact same skeletal structure and animation as the regular drakes. I honestly didn't really like netherdrakes when I first saw them, but they grew on me.

My main problem with regular drakes is their texture. Like almost everything from classic WoW, their textures aren't very good when compared with expansion stuff. The netherdrakes' textures, for example, are four times the size:
Image
Image
Blizzard just keeps recoloring that ridiculously outdated texture and using it over again and again.
Petersen
Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:28 pm
An informative and enlightening post thank you for the correction.

Invisusira wrote:Blizzard just keeps recoloring that ridiculously outdated texture and using it over again and again.


Much less costly in terms of time to do that than to design a new/updated texture.



My dislike for the Drakes (proto and nether included) mostly stems from them feeling slow by comparison to my gryphon (which I'm well aware is an 'optical illusion'). Though they've recently(?) added a 'glide' animation (albeit rare) to the drakes which makes them a bit more interesting than they were.
bub64882
Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:09 pm
Proto drakes are awesome. But I gotta go w/ the Hippo. Kalimdor fo life, yo!
Lightbeard
Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:22 pm
The rocket

and not to be a grammar nut but i think wyvern is spelled wrong
Solumin_AK
Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:31 pm
Lightbeard wrote:The rocket

and not to be a grammar nut but i think wyvern is spelled wrong


Not a problem... only one person voted for it anyways.
Lightbeard
Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:02 pm
zdamn wish i could change my vote

Didnt see dragonhawk
Skwigelf
Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:20 pm
Voted for the Roflcoptor, only because the DK Skelechicken wasn't available.
Aelissa
Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:36 pm
Lightbeard wrote:The rocket

and not to be a grammar nut but i think wyvern is spelled wrong


That would fall in the realm of spelling, not grammar. >_>
Viycktor
Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:09 pm
Petersen wrote:My dislike for the Drakes (proto and nether included) mostly stems from them feeling slow by comparison to my gryphon (which I'm well aware is an 'optical illusion'). Though they've recently(?) added a 'glide' animation (albeit rare) to the drakes which makes them a bit more interesting than they were.

This is why I find myself picking my ROFLCOPTOR over my Netherdrake on my Hunter more often.

I'm not actually going slower, but the smaller mounts flapping away just make me feel like I'm GOING somewhere.

Protodrakes are HUGE and that's their big draw for me right now (though I don't have one, I'll see how I feel about it when I get it). I like the idea of regular drakes more, they just don't quite look how I'd expect them to... maybe smaller than I expect?

Incidentally, I now have the Ambassador achievement done. I've been cruising around Dalaran as a male Dranei on a Swift Yellow Mechanostrider. It's full of win because I don't get hung up on any doors! (and looks crazy to boot)
Karock
Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:17 pm
Had to go with floating phantom horse :3 but my copter would easily have beaten it if I could also craft a muffler.
Gracerath
Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:37 am
Naturally, I chose the roflcopter. However, my first non-gryphon flying mount, the nether ray, will always hold a special place in my heart. Nothing like flying around on a giant sperm with sharp teeth.

I don't care for any of the dragon, drake, wyrms, whatever winged lizards mounts.
phaqueue
Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:44 am
Picked proto-drake...

although - I'm one of those people who gets bored on mounts quickly - so I change around a lot (thank god for the interface - it's so much nicer)

on another note... WTB pally (and warlock too I guess) class-specific flying mounts... I think they could do something hot for those...

would be cool to see...

oh well - I'll settle for my weird-colored Green Proto Drake for now... until I get the blue one at least... lol

or a 310% mount... that will be nice
HinataDestiny
Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:54 am
WTB Armored Ebon Gryphon

also WTB Flaming Proto-Drake
HinataDestiny
Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:57 am
phaqueue wrote:although - I'm one of those people who gets bored on mounts quickly - so I change around a lot (thank god for the interface - it's so much nicer)


lol you sound like me.

I hate riding a mount that a lot of other people have...use to ride a Talbuk and Nether Ray but too many people farmed them out after the xpac so now I ride Polar Bear and Albino Drake...i hate the bear was first on the server with it and now everyone has one...i want my Baron mount or my Ravengod
Ilara
Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:02 am
wow... so many fails picking roflcopter. I'm scared.

Sorry kids, my Proto-drake beats your toy any day of the week.
Though, I await paladins Armored Pegasus mount. :3 make it happen!
phaqueue
Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:17 am
if you want something not many people ride... pally mount is usually a good choice... don't really see many of those around anymore...
(unless you're horde... in which case there might be a few more just because the BE pally mount is pretty hot...)

also - talbuks seem to have fallen by the wayside quite a bit... so they are usually a decent choice for a more "unique" mount
Petersen
Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:41 am
phaqueue wrote:if you want something not many people ride... pally mount is usually a good choice... don't really see many of those around anymore...
(unless you're horde... in which case there might be a few more just because the BE pally mount is pretty hot...)

also - talbuks seem to have fallen by the wayside quite a bit... so they are usually a decent choice for a more "unique" mount



Until I get (if ever I get) Deathcharger, I use my Paladin mount pretty much exclusively for ground-bound travel. The only reason I didn't Pre-2.4 (or whenever was the mount interface change) was because of the mana cost and resetting my FSR counter. Granted, 100 mana isn't much, and the FSR regen lost is much less, but strictly speaking, saving mana means less down time. I just wish I hadn't deleted my Black War Steed after BC when I got my Great Blue Elekk. =(
unlimit
Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:46 am
You know, after seeing the proto-drake picture for so long, I've been corrupted.

It's definitely my favorite mount now. :(
Diocaska
Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:54 am
For me its the Drakes. (Red, Bronze, or the 25man Maly one, the 10man Maly one is pretty ugly due to its colours).

They're the best looking, and if I'm honest the only reason I use the Red-Proto is for epeen.

The only other one I'd really like is the Armored Netherdrake.
mazater
Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:58 pm
Netherwing rep drakes o/
TheBelloc
Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:03 pm
I don't like any of the flying mounts :(