Skip to content
Maintankadin

Recommended TV Series?

Fivelives
Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:01 pm

Re: Recommended TV Series?

Nah - it's the one where he goes to Japan and sets up an arc reactor there. Crazy Japanese hijinks ensue.

It's on G4 if you want to watch it (there's also a Wolverine anime, but I don't like that one nearly as much as the Iron Man anime). Oh, and I TiVO all of the above - generally I watch it whenever I have time (which ... isn't as often as I'd like, sadly). Here's to working half of my work week on call and dropping my class schedule down to a FAR more reasonable 12 hours this semester.
Dazhbog
Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:24 am

Re: Recommended TV Series?

Finished up Avatar: The Last Airbender recently. Some of the best animated TV I've seen; great for watching with kids, but entertaining to adults as well. Hearty thumbs up.
Aerron
Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:07 am

Re: Recommended TV Series?

I'll start with some of the ones others have already touched on:

Castle - good when it's funny. When it tries to get really serious, I'm less into it, but still worth the watch.

Community - most underrated show on tv.

Big Bang theory - hit or miss, even in the same episode.

Terra Nova - wife loves it more than I do, but I'm still there every monday.

I watched all of Heroes this summer, for the first time. Season 1 is great, 2 was a WTF moment, first half of 3 was so so and then it got good again in the middle of Season 3 on through 4. But by that time, no one was watching anymore.

And some no ones' mentioned yet:

American Horror Story - just premiered last week. Cerebral enough to make me want to see more, but I don't know if they can keep up the pace of the premiere.

Falling Skies - has its moments, and some crap too. Waiting on the second season to see if it actually becomes something.
Fivelives
Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:19 am

Re: Recommended TV Series?

I gave up on Falling Skies about halfway through season 1. I'm a Noah Wylie fan, but I just didn't like the show for some reason.
Skye1013
Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:28 am

Re: Recommended TV Series?

What I'm currently watching:

Chuck
Romdramedy
Synopsis: Main character (Chuck) gets emailed what is known as the Intersect (computer that contains all of the intel gathered by the NSA/CIA and is encoded via images.) He opens the email, causing all of the information to be uploaded into his brain, effectively making him the Intersect and forcing the NSA/CIA to utilize him until they can get a new Intersect up and running.
Comments: I think the show is freaking hilarious, and it doesn't hurt that a number of the actors are easy on the eyes.

Other "current" shows I like (in no particular order):
Psych, Warehouse 13, Eureka, House, Numb3rs, Glee, Fringe, Futurama, Smallville, Bones, Cold Case

"Oldies" (all have had series finales):
Buffy, Angel, Charmed, Will & Grace

Numb3rs
Dramedy?
Synopsis: Theck... er... a mathmetician helps his brother (an FBI agent I think?) solve crimes.
Comments: Even if you don't like math, I find it's rather interesting to watch, but I enjoy shows like this (CSI, Fringe, Psych, Bones and Cold Case all have crime solving elements via different methods.)
katraya
Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:18 pm

Re: Recommended TV Series?

Definitely have to second the recommendations for It's Always Sunny and Walking Dead. Unfortunately the first season of Walking Dead is only 6 episodes but that meant I was able to buy it for $10. We'll be getting cable when we move next week so we can watch the second season. :D

The show I want to recommend that hasn't been mentioned yet is Mad Men. The acting and writing is superb and the characters really develop over time. I know it may seem like a chick show but even my fiance is hooked on it. Although he may just be watching for the big boobs and CBH, he does genuinely seem interested in the story.

The new season won't start until March so you have plenty of time to watch the first four seasons!

The one show I really want to watch is Boardwalk Empire. I am so annoyed they're not releasing the first season on DVD until January when the second season has already started. I hate picking up a show like that halfway through.
Skye1013
Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Recommended TV Series?

katraya wrote:The one show I really want to watch is Boardwalk Empire. I am so annoyed they're not releasing the first season on DVD until January when the second season has already started. I hate picking up a show like that halfway through.

Have you considered options like hulu.com? Don't remember where you're from, but if you're in the US, you should be able to access it.
Flex
Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:33 pm

Re: Recommended TV Series?

Skye1013 wrote:
katraya wrote:The one show I really want to watch is Boardwalk Empire. I am so annoyed they're not releasing the first season on DVD until January when the second season has already started. I hate picking up a show like that halfway through.

Have you considered options like hulu.com? Don't remember where you're from, but if you're in the US, you should be able to access it.


Does HBO do that? Thought they were limiting everything they do to the HBO GO system that requires you to subscribe.
Sabindeus
Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Recommended TV Series?

katraya wrote:The show I want to recommend that hasn't been mentioned yet is Mad Men. The acting and writing is superb and the characters really develop over time. I know it may seem like a chick show but even my fiance is hooked on it. Although he may just be watching for the big boobs and CBH, he does genuinely seem interested in the story.


Strongly disagree that Mad Men is a chick show. It's just all around good writing. The presence of Christina Hendricks and January Jones don't hurt either. +1 on this recommendation from me.
Flex
Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: Recommended TV Series?

Sabindeus wrote:
katraya wrote:The show I want to recommend that hasn't been mentioned yet is Mad Men. The acting and writing is superb and the characters really develop over time. I know it may seem like a chick show but even my fiance is hooked on it. Although he may just be watching for the big boobs and CBH, he does genuinely seem interested in the story.


Strongly disagree that Mad Men is a chick show. It's just all around good writing. The presence of Christina Hendricks and January Jones don't hurt either. +1 on this recommendation from me.


Mad Men and The Wire are shows that make people feel special for watching them, like they are in some sort of exclusive club.

And you forgot Alison Brie.
Skye1013
Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:50 pm

Re: Recommended TV Series?

Flex wrote:Does HBO do that? Thought they were limiting everything they do to the HBO GO system that requires you to subscribe.

Honestly have no idea. Being in Germany I'm unable to access it :(.
Flex
Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:53 pm

Re: Recommended TV Series?

Skye1013 wrote:
Flex wrote:Does HBO do that? Thought they were limiting everything they do to the HBO GO system that requires you to subscribe.

Honestly have no idea. Being in Germany I'm unable to access it :(.


I checked the hulu. HBO shows require going to hbo.com and being an HBO subscriber so you can use the HBO GO system to watch their shows.
Sabindeus
Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:55 pm

Re: Recommended TV Series?

Flex wrote:And you forgot Alison Brie.


Man how the fuck did I do that. I keep forgetting she's in Mad Men because I saw her in Community first.
Aubade
Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:52 pm

Re: Recommended TV Series?

MM allison brie.

My shows are.

Comedy =
Community
Parks and Rec
big bang theory
30 rock
how I met your mother
rules of engagement
Two and a half men

Drama/comedy =
Chuck
Eureka
Psych

Drama =
House
Terra Nova


There's TONS of other shows I watch, but those are the ones lately.
I also obviously watch game of thrones/The walking dead. But both of those are short season shows. So I think of them more like movies.