Skip to content
Maintankadin

Tanking Gruul's

Mylina
Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:33 am

Tanking Gruul's

Hey everyone at Maintankadin,

I've been preparing to tank Gruul's for a while now, but just recently not sure if I have the correct gear for the encounter. I've linked my armory profile as well, I pretty much understand the encounter from watching videos, listening to guild members, but as if I'm ready for it, well thats another story ._. Anyways, any advice on gear or upgrades would be nice Very Happy thank ya'

P.S Whats a good avoidance number to be at when tanking Gruul the Dragon Killer,example, dodge, parry, block etc,

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=The+Forgotten+Coast&n=Mylina

Thank you so much guys, much love Surprised
_________________
Icaros
Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:31 am
heya,

execute this macro with holy shield up.

Frickit
Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:32 pm
you need to be uncrushable and your buffed hp and armor should be like around 17k each Im guessing. Tankadin addon will show you if your uncrushable, so will Tankpoints. and of course 490 def for uncrittability.
_________________




6/6ZA 2/2GL 1/1ML 3/4TK 5/6SSC Doomwalker:)
Sithy
Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:42 pm
You're a little under 102.4% for uncrushable. Gear looks pretty decent though. Only 2 things that strike me as replace or change out.
Grab the CE revered neck, its got dodge, def, stam much better than the BV neck.
If you can find a different ring with dodge or block rating on it you'll be golden to get you close to 102.4%. Delicate Eternium Ring is pretty easy to get mats for if you can find a crafter.
_________________

Sithy, 70 Human Priest
Robbert
Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:52 pm
For Gruul I'd suggest swapping out some of the Block Value items you have (especially the blue ring and neck) in favor or avoidance items. Once Gruul is in the grow 8-10 range you'll want to have as much EH and avoidance as you can manage. Block Value becomes less valuable the higher growth the boss reaches, and you really need to gear to survive to the higher growths...plan on 14-15 for a first attempt and down to 12 or less if your guild has him on farm. You'll likely have a few high growth silences that result in holy shield being down for a few seconds. This can definately be an issue if you eat a large crush with all your healers silenced as well.

Also, bring a good stock of both mana pots and stoneshield/ironshield pots. Chug mana pots early (if needed) and chain chug stoneshield/ironshield pots after grow 8 or so. You can also start the fight with Ret Aura for a bit of extra threat and mana returns then swap to Devotion Aura again around grow 8 or so.
_________________
Mylina
Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:17 pm
Shocked so much information! but thanks a lot for the replies. Information is very helfpul and everyones input is greatly appreciated. I ran the script with Holy Shield up, i got 102.6 avoidance. then a lot of numbers after it. I beleive that means just round it to the nearest. After doing both my trinkets i got roughly 112.3'sh avoidance i can't really remember since im at work right now Razz but anyways, a little more hp and some other gear from kara i should be pretty good I hope, and thanks a lot for the tips on trinkets, neck pieces and other gear upgrades as i will be going for that really soon! thanks again! Very Happy
_________________
Robbert
Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:01 pm
Don't forget that raid buffed you'll be gaining additional avoidance. You should definately have each of the following until you're comfortable with the encounter (and most encounters imo);

Greater Blessing of Kings
Gift of the Wild III
Scroll of Agility V
Scroll of Protection V
Superior Wizard Oil
Food/Flask of your choice (30 stam food and Fort flask for your first time are good options)

At least that's what I always load up with on new tanking encounters (when warranted...the prot scroll wouldn't make sense for hydross for example) until the encounter is familiar to me and most of our raiders.
_________________
Korshiaz
Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:34 pm
I know this was for someone else, but I didn't want to start a new thread for the same question.

I think I'm ready for Gruul's but my guild does not. I have been trying to convince them to let me try my hand at it. they just seem to think im too squishy.

I can up my armor whit a different shield at the expense of some avoidance. but i can throw the SB enchant on it to pretty much alleviate that. and I plan on a +dodge to my cloak

armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Detheroc&n=Criturface

I just need a definitive answer as to weather or not I am ready for this, something i can provide to my guild to show that I am ready. short of offering to pay everyone's repair bill's.
Elhadj
Wed May 21, 2008 10:10 am
I'm posting to see how close I am to MT'ing Gruul. I tank everything in Kara with no problem. Here is my link

http://www.armory-light.com/us/Garona/Elhadj/

Im still working on being uncrushabe (damn chestpiece won't drop from Nightbane).

Thanks in advance.
_________________
Cosmoz
Thu May 22, 2008 9:23 pm
you are faar away :/

your hp/armor is OK... but your avoidance is just way to low... get uncrushable first, witch is pretty much needed here unless you greatly outgear the instance. and not only uncrush, but more complete avoidance. I dont se you MT gruul with 14% dodge :/
and 2nd, your spelldamage. i did say 300-350 is minimum for gruuls. you cant threat-cap your dps, or the fight will take to long. long fight = dead tank.
_________________