Skip to content
Maintankadin

How To: Offtank Gruul the Dragonkiller

Sithy
Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:59 am
Off-tanked him last night, we had one wipe due to a bad silence getting the MT owned pretty harshly but for a raid filled with 50% alts and 50% mains a swift 10 grow kill was nice.

I tried running vengeance but I had it falling off and my threat was dropping pretty low, almost getting a dps warrior crushed. Swapped to righteous and threat was going up a little better. I'd like to try vengeance again but if it drops off like it did for me righteous just felt better.

Its a fun fight from a tank perspective, with almost 500 buffed sd threat didn't seem that hard to maintain.
_________________

Sithy, 70 Human Priest
2ndNin
Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:36 am
How does your guild deal with knockbacks? For us everyone else runs to the outside and MT / OT run to the inside, normally I get close enough to retrigger vengence on him. If it does fall off righteous for a fast smack then back to building works for me normally (you can even salvation the dps if they are getting uppity and approaching your threat Very Happy)
_________________
Ahh, but you have heard of me.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria
Meriel
Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:41 am
I see a lot of SoV but I am a BE and I have trouble keeping second without misdirects, will it be a better idea to judge SoB for more threat than judging SoR? I want to keep constant threat so I consecrate keep holy sheild active constantly and judge SoV, always have around 400 buffed +spell damage.

Also if I was MT would I be better off with a flask of the beast and up alot of my dodge or try to focus on more stam and spell damage. I don't seem to have a problem holding threat if I use more agi food and buffs.

My main concern is a BE perspective over all the draeni and humans =P
Frickit
Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:56 am
how long do you wait before judging after the MT gets his misdirect? Im afraid to do it instantly but then our healers are vulnerable for a second which was enough to one shot my priest last night. I didnt even realize they were HoTing the tank right away.

I guess I just need to be faster and maybe start with crusader instead of righteousness...
_________________




6/6ZA 2/2GL 1/1ML 3/4TK 5/6SSC Doomwalker:)
Sithy
Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:12 am
I just don't see how a healer can get hit by him at the start unless they run right through the center... there is no logical reason to run through the center. I healed the fight on my priest and never have I been hit by a hurtful strike, ever.
It's like asking why did the chicken cross the road? To get to the other side. In this case why don't you just take the cross walk and not get killed?
_________________

Sithy, 70 Human Priest
Frickit
Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:31 am
ok you're the second person to say that and it was not something I even thought of. Ill pass it on thanks.
_________________




6/6ZA 2/2GL 1/1ML 3/4TK 5/6SSC Doomwalker:)
Ariashley
Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:53 am
I've been to Gruul's a ton on my rogue (without ever seeing a Dragonspine Trophy QQ). On Sunday, my paladin's new guild is going to Gruul's. I'm guessing that I can effectively tank Blindeye and tank the priest trash, since none of those casters hits too hard (I can even tank them on my rogue briefly). Not sure about trash brute lords or OTing Gruul.

I'm pretty sure MTing Gruul and even the High King is above my gear bracket atm, since I'm pretty much solidly in that Kara bracket. How much health is required to OT him?

I'm only 20 or so badges short of the badge chest, so I will definitely have it by the weekend. I get at least 7 daily (should get more like 15 on Friday and could get up to 22 tonight in Kara). That will put me at 12882 unbuffed health and 13270 armor. Uncrushable with just under 51% pure avoidance. Is that enough to OT Gruul? I know he's hit me with hurtful strikes on my rogue when the MT or OT died for somewhere around 20k, but my rogue has negligible armor and avoidance.

Assuming use of the spell damage consumables, I would have kings, mark of the wild and fort to improve my health pool to about 15.8k (or 16.9 if we get a lock in group) with spell damage of 419 with Wrath of Air or 318 without.

I wouldn't want to gimp the group if those stats are insufficient and would probably just bring my rogue. The guild has been using an unguilded tank to main tank pretty much everything to date and gearing up an underexperienced druid.
_________________
Ariashala - Level 70 Tankadin
Ariashley - Level 70 Rogue
Frickit
Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:49 am
You can definitely off tank him I'd say. Your gonna need heavy heals from Hurtfuls. Make sure you stay out of the the cave ins too because your health will be dropping pretty low every few seconds. You could tank anything else as far as trash or HKM encounter.
_________________




6/6ZA 2/2GL 1/1ML 3/4TK 5/6SSC Doomwalker:)
Zeels
Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:40 pm
Problems will be in the later growths 12 and more (if it takes that long), you'll get some really big hits. And if your MT goes down, you'll probably die when you take one more hit, so be prepared to pop trinkets and nighmare seeds and whatever more Smile

*Edit*

I use the badge threat tome (lightbringer?) and then switch out to repentance at the later growths in case the MT dies.
_________________
By the Power of Grey Skull!