Skip to content
Maintankadin

Illidari Council

Shai
Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:52 pm

Illidari Council

Can't see any thread about the council so going to start a new one as I have a question. What do you usually tank on the council? Seems like the rogue would be by far the best to be tanked by a paladin, but I can't remember if he goes magic immune as well. Any other tips?
_________________
Lore
Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:56 pm
I tank the rogue. He does go magic immune, but as long as you have a hunter ready to misdirect on command it's not a big deal, and it's certainly a great deal easier to deal with than him going melee immune with a Warrior or Druid tank.
_________________
The danger must be growing, for the rowers keep on rowing!
Shai
Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:04 pm
I knew I could get a quick response here, just not that it would be this quick. Cheers!
_________________
fiorina
Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:13 pm
I wouldn't call option with paladin having pocket hunter always ready to MD instead of doing proper DPS an "easier one". Druid can charge+taunt+zillion of stuns; when he is immune to physical dmg he can moonfire him.
We are stuck to have either hunter with reflexes of korean street fighter player or rely on Hammer of Justice + Prince Axe combo.

But ye, you can tank either Rogue or Priest. Both doable. It's not a hard fight.
_________________
Fiorina -retired-
Stephen Hawking of AV tanking
PsiVen
Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:31 pm
I tank Veras with a Decapitator. Don't really need a spell damage weapon since nobody's DPSing my target. My healer is usually a druid (our resident feral, actually) who is ready to charge and stun it, and just in case whenever my axe is on cooldown I tell our hunter to be ready. So far I've needed a misdirect only once in half a dozen kills and many failed attempts.

Technically a druid is ideal for picking him up, because you can simply shift and moonfire if he's physical immune. But with my arrangement:
- I take way less damage since Veras has the dual-wield miss penalty, and I can wear high-avoidance gear with trinkets that +use to become literally unhittable
- I benefit from bear stuns and moonfire anyway, when I need them
_________________
Gladiator Psiven, 70 Tankadin (retired)
Rival Psivenia, 70 Warriorlol
Psivenne, 60 Bare

Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
Gavel
Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:16 pm
I've never seen him get a blessing while stealthed, so I just play goalie to the left of the doorway and spam my /target Veras /cast Judgement macro. It'll hit him while he's stealthed right before he comes out and you'll have the aggro you need. You can Avenger Shield too but I prefer Judgement primarily for mana sustain through the fight and because you don't have to be facing him for it to work.

Decapitator is a great tool for this fight and will definitely serve you well. I put mine on when he stealths and equip my mace after he comes out if I have him.
_________________

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Alexstrasza&n=Gavel
http://grandcrusader.blogspot.com/ Brand New!
Lansky
Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:21 pm
Tank the rogue. Pull him to the left side of the door as we tank the paladin on the right side of the room with the other two adds more central. This ensures that he always spawns around the area of the door. When he despawns I face the door and spam a /tar Veras /cast AS macro. It hits him before he starts to move and i've never seen him get blessed with anything prior to this. For this to work well however you need to max your hit with AS so it never misses or just deal with it if it does.

If he gets a BoSW shortly after you pick him up swap out to a warrior style weapon and use SoB. The "holy damage" from SoB is actually counted as physical and goes right through the spell immune BS. A decapitator also works beautifully for when he is streaking across the room immune and you are cursing at him hoping it does something.

I can honestly say I believe the paladin class has the most tools available for tanking the rogue. We have abilities (especially horde side) that allow us to rangle him in with either shield up if you use a few more unorthodox methods, namely tanking with a decapitator equipped for those "oh shit" moments when AS misses, taunt resists, and the bugger gets a spell warding.
_________________
Lansky BE Paladin Mannoroth
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mannoroth&n=Lansky
Lansky
Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:33 am
Yes he is immune to HoJ while he has BoSW. Only rogue/druid/warrior (i.e. physical stuns) work during the blessing's duration.

During BoP we can stun him though. This is how we solved the issue of what to do when our druid tanks him, give him a paladin healer. 6s is more than enough time to shift out and pew pew him if needed.
_________________
Lansky BE Paladin Mannoroth
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mannoroth&n=Lansky
Splug
Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:01 pm
Hrm, other than spell reflect (which I was a noob and didn't realize for about three hours of attempts last week), consecration confusion, and the effective HP gap (which is getting much smaller in a few days), are there any other reasons not to tank Gathios with a paladin? Or does Veras tanking just fit the paladin's niche better?

-Splug
_________________
(Usually) Prot warrior: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Splug