Skip to content
Maintankadin

Off-Spec tanking Trash

Legionp
Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:06 am

Off-Spec tanking Trash

Off spec here being anything besides a full prot spec, how viable would it be to tank Hyjal trash waves as a non-prot spec? You could go down far enough to get Imp RF and mostly just use consecrate for aggro. Threat and survivability wouldn't be as high, but people could single target Aboms first if it became an issue. Plus I roll with around 600 Spell damage fully raid buffed.

Have any holy pallies with good tanking sets out there tanked the trash waves? On bosses I either heal or slap on a bunch of haste gear and swing away with Nightfall, but do you think I could spec Ret or Holy and still tank the Trash?

We're hoping to down Archi for the first time tonight, and I usually prot heal / nightfall, but I'll probably respec completely either holy or ret. Would be funny if I could stay some sort of Hybrid spec for trash and contribute more on bosses.

Ret build I would consider

As holy I would just go a standard 41/20

I might try it next week and let y'all know, could be fun.
Worldie
Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:55 pm
I've tanked trashs as both retri and holy when i wanted to try different playstyle on bosses.

You can go with 0 points in protection for what it matters. Improved RF and Thoughtness are big plus.

If you are holy, the int->spelldam will make up for the loss of Imp RF. If retri, Sanctity aura + Vengeance = lolaggro.
_________________

Worldie
Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:38 pm
wops


meh it's late <.<
_________________

Legionp
Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:06 pm
Cool, I'll give it a try one day without telling anyone and see if they notice. Tonight on Archi was pulling 1000-1200 dps without ever getting raid drops from this guild (haven't touched my ret gear prior to tonight since last summer). Kinda proves that I am semi-valuable on bosses since I was out DPSing some pure classes.
Legionp
Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:30 am
lol, I promised to pass on the first one for our shadow priest. It dropped, I passed. Everyone on vent said grats to him. Boomkin pressed need and won the item.

Boomkin respecs Resto for several weeks.

Resto druid respecs Feral and has stayed there since.

My mace sits in someone's bank.

BAH!
koVenant!
Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:59 am
little late but i recently tryed this as 41/20 because i was tired of prot, so i went holy/prot, got the defense/toughness/imp rf and inp devo and i was g2g. Tanked waves leading up to rage/anetheron np at all. The trash leading up to kaz RAPED me, 1 stun and i was dead. the 16% imp health makes a big enough difference. if you have good healers shouldn't be a problem, i personally rather have the main pally tank sporting 24k hp tank them all and just spam holy lights.

oh and btw, i have proven that you can tank the priest in fathom/murlocs/hyross spawns/ lurker submerge adds/ alars ember/ solarian collapse trash.
havn't tryed VW i doubt i need to, our main pally tank holds insane threat on him and basically never looses aggro, its a sight to see..
_________________
Kay
Fri May 02, 2008 3:46 pm
I tried this, but honestly the Azgalor trash just took me to pieces. Respeccing prot suddenly made the waves a whole load easier. Perhaps it's down to us still learning, but at the moment I can see regular respecs being pretty much necessary for me.

This is a bit of a disappointment to me really as a holy pally, because I can't help feeling like a bit of a spare part when the boss rolls in Sad
Worldie
Fri May 02, 2008 4:44 pm
Until overgearing, 10% armor, 16% hp and expecially Ardent Defender play a major role in saving your plate armored ass during abomination waves.
That's it.
_________________