So last week, one of my officers told me ... Ok, man, you'll get your chance now. The raid was formed already and I thought I was going to raid as holy (as I always do), but I was actually asked to respecc prot (since they know I do it a lot on my spare time, and maybe wanted to cheer me up a bit), so I hurried to my bank, grabbed my gear & respecced. I was really stressed out and all, so didn't really have time to reflect on my choice of gear, etc, and also I lacked the proper Elixirs/Oils.
Anyhow, this was the set of gear I used at that time:
http://wowdigger.com/character/view/26580#o2
I was learning how to act as the waves where comming, and we also had 2 Ferals, 1 Prot Warrior, that took care of most of the Abos/Necromancers/Banshees and such.
I mainly focused on the Ghouls, Cryptstalkers, and later on Fel Stalkers (which I thought would a a pain, but they didn't seem to mana burn me at all, they never do it on the highest person on their hate list, or what?). Also I had no issue tanking 2 Abos when I really had to. As far as bosses go I swapped to my healing gear on all except Azgalor where I convinced them that I actually could tank the Adds.
However as I was really nervous (since it was my first performance in Hyjal as Prot) and all, so I didn't really pay that much attention to my Mana Bar, etc, but I can't recall ever feeling the "desperate" need to use a mana pot, nor that I took any significant amount of dmg either...
According to Webstats I was getting average hits of 631 dmg, and the highest hit (from an Abo) was 4582 dmg, I had somewhat like 20-21k hp buffed.
Well this may or may not sound like an epeen thread, but yeah, as you can see I only had 381 spelldmg in that gear, and I didn't feel that threat was any issue, the aoe'rs loved me and we have some crazy dps going on in the guild, so they wheren't "kind" to me in any way either.
Well I'm trying to get to the point with this thread, so ehm.
I'd like some advice (yeah there are many threads like that here, I know), about some gear and stats choices.
With my already low amount of Mana/Spelldmg, would it be real suicide to actually go for more Stamina/BV over Int/Spelldmg?
I'm thinking about maybe using this set of gear next time (maybe today that is if they want me to tank again)... And all is based on my own reflections from the last time, so I need an opinion from someone who knows about this stuff.
http://wowdigger.com/character/view/26580#o5
And then making up for the loss in Spelldmg thru Wizard Oils that I didn't have last time, & Adept's Elixir, or maybe even Flasked of Distilled Wisdom?
I don't have a single T6 Prot piece (and would of course use it if I had), but sadly that's my offspecc and Conquerors NEVER drop for us, so yeah, would I lose to much in changing those two T5 Pieces I have to gain "A LOT" more Stamina, since I really dislike the other stats compared with what I could use instead. I guess using, the 2nd Darkmoon Card is an overkill, and could either use Autoblocker, Icon of the Silver Cresent or the Spelldmg Battlemaster trinket instead. As optional gear, I do have full Tier 4, as well, but would you even advice me to downgrade instead?
I bet most of you true hearted protadins tanking Hyjal Trash on a daily basis generally have close to Full T6 already, having more or less no Mana & Threat Issues. But I'm not even sure if I had any issues myself ._. . I need more practise of course.
What would you say is a minimum Mana Pool & + Spelldmg is, after you're fully raid buffed? From your OWN experience that is.
A lot of text I fear, but I must say that tanking in Hyjal was the funniest thing I ever did, and Optimizing my performance will give me the chance to do it more times, so I don't want to screw it up... Thanks in advance!
Raein
Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:42 pm







