Skip to content
Maintankadin

Min Req for heroics?

Snoogle
Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:14 pm

Min Req for heroics?

So I tried to tank a heroic instance today.. did not work out the well >.>
Priest with +1600 healing couldn't keep me up against 3 mobs >.>

Str: 189
Agility: 98
Stamina: 803
Int: 148
Armor: 11006

Def: 490
Dodge 16.53%
Parry 15.72%
Block(with holy shield) 42.62%

Spell damage 172

I'm not uncrushable but that shouldn't matter on trash, right?
I need some serious advice on what I should be looking to improve on. Any suggestions?

Assuming it updated:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Blackwing+Lair&n=Snooglemunch
Aeverius
Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:46 pm
Hm. I could make a few suggestions, but looking at your gear overall, you seem to have a solid understanding of what you should be itemizing for. You don't need me to tell you to gem that chest with some solid stars, for instance. Your HP/avoidance is a bit low for what I'd want going into heroics, but you're at an acceptable level, certainly.

Uncrushable doesn't matter in 5-mans, period- it's just that if you are, you've got pretty nice avoidance going. Nothing in a heroic is going to crush you.

Now, my question: What instance, and what mobs? If you were trying to pull three Arcane Destroyers in the beginning of Mech, for instance, I'll just tell you not to do that anymore (they hit pretty hard, and you don't need to tank them like that anyway). If we're talking about something like the first pull of Ramps, that's a bit different. Use some CC if you have to, or make smaller pulls- whatever you need to get hit less.
_________________


"Incoming!" is the new ready check.
Snoogle
Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:59 pm
UB, those elementals that come in 2s + 1healer

My guild has been coaxing me to get geared for tanking in Kara but I having a hell of a time get the right gear for it. No body runs dungeons in my server anymore >.>
Uncrushability is a concern of mine i guess, but it wouldn't hurt to have a separate stam/avoidance set for heroics

Next Q:
Other then this gear guide, is there anything I should look forward to in Heroic Drops other then badge rewards?
Moses
Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:47 am
Yeah, my stats looked something like that when I first tanked heroics. Group makeup plays a big part in it. If you have really fast dps then one mob can be down before the HoJ wears off. Also rogues opening with cheap shot can really cut down on the incoming damage when you first get the pull. So don't be afraid to ask for it, or sheeps, or seduces or any other kind of CC/stun that could help you.

170 spell damage seems a little low though. Make sure you use superior wizard oil and some +dam food. That sould but you up like 55 more spell damage which is really good.

Enchants, yeah you should really try to get some of your stuff enchanted. Enchants go a long way, so far that I even take the mats for the enchants I'll need with me when I go on raids, then I can use an upgrade instantly.

If your guild is regularly running kara I'd recommend getting a guild group together. There are people that will leave a PuG heroic after a few wipes and I'm sure that wouldn't help your confidence. You will probably make mistakes in the learning phase of each dungeon but everyone does.

For instance never having to worry about using HoJ on coilfang defenders in normal mode I found myself taking a lot of damage from them in heroic. So I used my favorite tactic for cutting the inc damage, stun one of them..... unfortunately that shield they put up... well it reflects HoJ... so yeah i wiped us.

Anyway my point is that I think it'd be best to learn the heroics with your friends. They will probably have more fun with it and be more forgiving of your mistakes. Sure you might be the butt of a few jokes for a bit, but everyone likes to laugh right =)
_________________
Woden
Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:59 pm

Re: Min Req for heroics?

Get a bit more health by enchanting some of your gear (18sta meta gem, gloves 10 sta, shield 18 sta, boots 12 sta, chest 150hp, those are fairly cheap, 20 sta from food).

While being uncrushable doesn't really matter in heroics, you only have 480 defense rating. Which means you are not immune to crits in heroics (you need 485).

Make sure the mobs aren't attacking your back, use hammer of justice if you get low.

Start out with an easy heroic first. My first heroic was slave pens and then mechanar. But it's only because I knew them well (done them on my rogue billion times) and I find them fairly easy.
Ciandin
Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:36 am
If your completely broke, at least get +10 stam armor kits for your shoulders, chest, hands, and feet. Thats over 500hp right there
krazipanzer
Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:23 pm

Now how about me...

Rather than clogging up the forums with another thread, figured I'd just post on this one. Just looking for some guidance as I try to get heroic ready. I recently respecced from holy and it's been a blast, though challenging. I was running Kara before, gearing up for Gruuls, when I got fed up with my guild insisting I stay holy when I wanted to try a Tankadin desperately. So I respecced, gquit and here I am with a 490 def. Smile

However, I know I need work on my other stats. Block is ok, stam needs allot of work, armor is ok, parry ok, dodge sucks. Suggestions?

And don't hate on the PvP trinket. I've prevented far too many wipes both as a healer and a tank by being able to break fear/poly twice, rather just once with a bubble. I know I'll have to ditch it if I want to do serious raiding, but for right now I refuse to part with it. I <3 my trinket. Razz

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Sargeras&n=Merkin
Snake-Aes
Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:55 pm
10kj unbuffed hp, 490 defense and knowing what the hell your gear should have.
_________________

Quidquid latine dictum sit altum videtur (Anything said in Latin seems deep)
Brickhouse
Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:56 pm
When starting out, don't be afraid to USE crowd control. It is your friend. I know when I started out, it was hard to (1.) know how to use it..I was a tanking noob, and (2.) and it was hard to manage (consecrate) around it.

Spell damage was my most common enemy at these early heroic levels, because I simply did not have enough. I was too ignorant to know how important it was. =) Tomorrow my server will complete the Armory stage, and I will get some new pants from badges pushing my spell damage to around +640 or so, unbuffed. I will sacrifice a little stamina in the exchange, but I mostly just AoE tank anyway, in heroics or in raids. More avoidance is probably better if you main tank...but anyway, i digress.

1. use crowd control, and 2. get some spell damage + stamina. It is so easy to overlook spell damage, since there really is not a lot of paladin tank loot at early dungeon levels. So focused (at least I was) on getting that SWEET warrior chest with block or armor or avoidance or stamina..that over time, you have so little spell damage, you cannot do of the the two most important thanks a tank MUST do: (1. obviously, not die, have some stoutness about you), but also HOLD Aggro. It doesn't help if you are a brickwall, but nothing hits you, and instead ganks your healers.

At some point, when you get full good blues and some epics, you should be able to AoE tank most heroic instances. At least, large parts of most