Skip to content
Maintankadin

How hard could it be...?

Pillar
Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:16 am

How hard could it be...?

So after reading several posts in this section, I have mixed thoughts on whether I am ready for heroics or not. I have ran one heroic instance about 2 weeks ago (it was Ramps- my gear was not as good as it is now, was MT for 1 boss, OT/OH for 2 others). I wanted to see what others think- am I able to MT heroics with the gear I currently have (if so- which ones?), and if not, what do I need to do to get prepared for heroics? I am currently working on upgrading my gems in my armor, but low on cash right now. thanks for the advice!
_________________
Cearn
Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:26 am
I started doing heroics when my stats looked similar to yours now. Depends on the rest of your group.
_________________
Cearn - 70 pew pew Spankadin! - EU Anetheron

It dont matter where you from its where you at~
Pillar
Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:32 am
ive got 11.2k hp, 13k armor, 483 defense, 200 sp- althought this is still a problem holding aggro sometimes. will be getting the major spellpower to weapon soon (saving up for it), then can change out the spellpower gems.

is holding aggro harder when you don't have the major spellpower enchant, or am i just running with people extremely well geared?

and can i tank it without having 490 defense?
_________________
Gimorth
Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:37 am
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Khadgar&n=Pillar

I am assuming that's you...

You should gnerally be able to tank a few of the easier heroics, provided you have a good healer. I would suggest that you start slow. Don't try to AoE tank everyting. Hit Mech (few mutli-mob pulls) and SP (some nasty pulls in there, but OK if you have adequate CC).

Right now stamina is your enemy. If you plan on taking to heroics with any voracity, I would recommend you pick up some +12 stam gems. Most of your gear would benefit more from all +12 Stams than going for socket bonuses.

ZOMG! You're revered with KOT! Get the pants! Buy 3 gems. Buy a nethercleft leg armor. It's retarded how much stam you can pick up in that one slot alone! (and buy the head enchant, too)
Pillar
Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:43 am
well, i can't check the armory from work, but khadgar is my server, so i will assume that is me as well Wink

are the KoT pants really better then felsteel pants? and yes, i am working on regemming items right now, but cash flow is a problem at the moment, so its a slow process. i have the head enchant on my felsteel helm.
_________________
Aeverius
Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:23 pm
Yes, you can do heroics. I'd suggest starting out running only with guildies; they tend to be more forgiving, and you don't run into the problem of T6 pug DPS who think you are shit because you can't tank the whole place in two pulls. (This aggravates the hell out of me, YMMV.) You can find a number of articles on what heroics are good to start with- I'm a fan of Bot, but it's not for everyone. I think anything that you like on normal is probably a good bet- being familiar with the instance is a big bonus.

As far as gear- you're looking for upgrades in both stam and defense stats at this point. I'd suggest getting some Bracers of the Green Fortress, although that may be an issue for you with the lack of gold you mentioned. Try socketing for stam more than socket bonuses, and let the avoidance come from your gear. (This is something not everyone agrees with, but it's obviously your call.) The boots from the mana tombs escort quest are awesome for avoidance, the boots from the first boss in Bot are awesome for stam. Check those out. The revered-with-Ogri'la shield or exalted-with-Sha'tar shields are both very good, try getting one of those. Run Mech and Bot (on normal) and get the Arc key; the belt reward from that quest is very nice.

Scattershot gear advice ends here, have fun, good luck.
_________________


"Incoming!" is the new ready check.
Pillar
Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:05 am
so i ran kara last night. have improved my defense up to 489, but i have lost some spellpower in doing so. I have not gotten the spellpower to weapon enchant yet, and had a little problem holding aggro, but i would like to think that was because by the time the MT died, the DPS were going balls to the wall crazy on moroes, and they wre all much better geared than myself
_________________
Nemuria
Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:41 am
I have similar stats and AOEd tank in Mech, SL and Remparts. I will try Slave Pens this week (the giant crabs will be a good test). The secret is avoidance there: be prepared to take 2 or 3 mobs on you (It will be temporary if the DPS are doing well). Avoidance will ease the healer pain and your buffed stamina will save you. I even lowered my HP to get more spell damage and avoidance. But this mean you can't go without a good healer.
Pillar
Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:02 am
Bracers of the Green Fortress - well, i would love to have them, but i never see them on AH, and i don't have recipe for them (i assume it is crafted and not world drop, but it it is a drop- where from?).

as for shields- can't get ogril'a rep right now. can't find a group to finish the last part of the quest before it (grimoire business) so i can go there. sha'tar- i think im honored with them (not sure), but a long way off from exalted...
_________________
Rashakal
Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:16 am
Just looking at your armory, just do Heroic Mech and Bot alot.
Upgrades:
Spaulders of the Righteous - Botanica
Jade-Skull Breastplate - Mechanar
Sha'tari Vindicator's Waistguard - Arc Key Quest
Flesh Beast's Metal Greaves - Mana Tombs Quest
Dath'Remar's Ring of Defense - Mechanar
Protector's Mark of the Redemption - Quest
Elementium Band of the Sentry - Arcatraz
for Bracers: Just gather the mats, someone on your server can make them i'm sure.
for Shield: Shield of the Wayward Footman is a BOE thats pretty good for starting out. I used it until SoID dropped on first nightbane attempt.
for Cloak: I would replace 12 Defense Rating for 12 Dodge Rating once u get these other items.
_________________
Pillar
Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:30 am
i just put the cloak enchant last night. needed it to make sure i was uncrittable for running kara. i will replace it once gear gets better. thank you for the advice! i'll also have a good ring from kara (epic version of violet ring i have now, adds stamina, armor, and defense) in another run or two (need to be honored with them, am almost 1/2 the way)
_________________
Rashakal
Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:31 am
I only listed more then 1 ring that way you have options to look at right away and decide which is more benefiticial for yourself.

EDIT: And also, the flesh beast's metal greaves is from the escort quest in Mana Tombs, i'm sure you could quickly and easily gather a group of 65's and clear threw it pretty fast and pick up those boots.
_________________