My main target for my paladin is tanking heroics with the possibility of tanking some Kara/ZA runs later on. To this end I have found that actually gear FOR heroics by DOING heroics is a bit of a slow process. However, I really feel that I am starting to hit my stride and I am relatively confident that I can tank any heroic provided I have a good group and a competant healer.
I started my foray into heroics a few weeks ago with 12K HP, 12K armor and an OK mix of avoidance and block. I started to see the jerkiness of certain groups right away when certain groups decked out in PvP epics would complain that "i take so much damage" or "I am killing their mana." With the same gear, I would run the same instances (SP mostly, but also some Mech and UB) and everything would go smoothly.
Since that time, I have geared up my pally pretty nicely. I've picked up the stats that I need to be an effective tank- 12K HP became 14.6 K. 12 K armor became 14K armor. I've tanked most of the heroics out there, with SV and SH as the only ones that I have yet to run that people actually do (I don't count Sethekk or Crypts, as I have never ever seen anyone looking for a group). So, anyway, I am feeling pretty confident in my ability to get the job done, which brings me to my question-generating story.
I finish my heroic BM (daily) run yesterday without incident. Belt didn't drop (boo). After turning in the quest, I immediately start back up trolling the Trade and LFG channels. I choose UB, Mech and Bot, type "tank" in the comments field and get to searching. Then this exchange occurs:
/w him to me Bot? Need tank then we're good to go.
/w me to him Sure.
/w him to me How's your gear? How much HP do you have? (This is where I start to get kinda pissed.)
/w me to him Pretty well geared. Mostly blues, a few epics. I've got 14.6K HP and 14 K armor.
/LFG him to LFG LFM- need tank for Bot and we're good to go. Must have good gear.
Now, I am not saying that I am superman and totally outgear the instances that we are running, but come on! Given the fact that I have already successfully tanked Botanica (easy) and have picked up a pretty good amount of gear, I really don't see how anyone could say "Yeah- we need more HP and armor in order to successfully finish this 5-man."
So, am I delusional? Am I wrong to think that any PUG when faced with the choice of a 14K HP and Armor (plus a willingness to use consumables) tank or having to wait another 20 minutes in LFG for something better should be confident that the former is the way to go? Or are people so warped/lazy that the minimum requirements for heroics now require you to totally outgear the place to even bother?
Do I have any business getting pissed off at the guy?
(PS- Shortly after I was given the cold shoulder by that guy, I joined a group that finished SP, Arc and Bot (got my shoulders!) in succession without incident.)
Gimorth
Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:34 am





